The Student Room Group

Hunter Trampled to Death by Elephant he was Tracking to Kill for Ivory

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
One life was going to end - his or the elephant's. As the instigator, frankly, I'd rather it was his.

And if he didn't die, it would be many more elephants.
Original post by Dandaman1
How so? Both involve a person supposedly deserving death as punishment for an immoral act. You have to admit it is rather hypocritical to condemn the prescribed death of people who do immoral deeds (i.e. the notion that people may deserve death as a punishment) but then applaud the deaths of people who do immoral deeds and say that they deserved it as a consequence.

Edit: Although this would hinge upon whether view the death penalty as wrong because they see it as immoral 'to kill' as a practice rather than 'to experience death' as a consequence, although one might ask from where their moral disagreement with the former stems if they see no problem with the latter or the 'result.'

It being an elephant in this case means we are talking about the moral implications of deserving the experience of death (which is where I believe the hypocrisy lies) rather than the moral implications of the act of carrying it out.

I'm generally opposed to the death penalty,so I don't think that makes me a hypocrite. Although death is a consequence in both instances, the circumstances are different, and I just don't think they are comparable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending