The Student Room Group

Reactions of zinc carbonate

Ok, so in my a-level class today we did an experiment with zinc carbonate and 2 unknown solutions.
When the first solution was added to the zinc carbonate, it formed a white solution that turned colourless with excess. The other unknown solution was then added to this, which formed a white precipitate.
My homework is to work out what the 2 unknown solutions were, but I have no idea?
Help please!
Original post by CM1508
Ok, so in my a-level class today we did an experiment with zinc carbonate and 2 unknown solutions.
When the first solution was added to the zinc carbonate, it formed a white solution that turned colourless with excess. The other unknown solution was then added to this, which formed a white precipitate.
My homework is to work out what the 2 unknown solutions were, but I have no idea?
Help please!

There is no such thing as a white solution ....
Original post by charco
There is no such thing as a white solution ....

That's what you respond with to a heartfelt call for help? ;P
Reply 3
Some clarification needed.

1) was the zinc carbonate in a powered form prior to the addition of the unknown solution?

2) any effervescence?
Reply 4
Original post by Metanoia
Some clarification needed.

1) was the zinc carbonate in a powered form prior to the addition of the unknown solution?

2) any effervescence?

Yeah the zinc carbonate was in powdered form, and there was a little effervescence and fizzing with the addition of the first solution
Reply 5
I did this like a month ago. From what I can remember our solutions we used were Hydrochloric acid(solution A)and the other was NaOH (Solution B) but don't count me in that :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by CM1508
Yeah the zinc carbonate was in powdered form, and there was a little effervescence and fizzing with the addition of the first solution

My guess would be that the first solution was an acid that reacted with the Zinc carbonate to form Zn2+ ions, the fizzing would be release of CO2.

The 2nd solution could be NaOH reacting with the Zn2+ ions to form Zn(OH)2 precipitate.
Reply 7
Yeah thats correct im pretty sure

Quick Reply

Latest