The Student Room Group

Mark my AS level bio essay pls

All carbohydrates consist of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen atoms. Monosaccharides are the monomers of carbohydrates, the main three are called glucose (6 carbons), galactose (6 carbons) & fructose (5 carbons), all following the general formula of CnH2nOn. Monosaccharides join together by a condensation reaction forming a water molecule and a disaccharide (made up of 2 monosaccharides) or a polysaccharide (made up of many monosaccharides). The 3 main disaccharides are maltose (glucose x 2), lactose (galactose + glucose) mainly found in dairy & sucrose (fructose + glucose) mainly found in fruits, these disaccharides/polysaccharides have glycosidic bonds between their molecules. All monosaccharides are reducing sugars meaning they can donate electrons to other molecules whereas most common disaccharides are non-reducing sugars.

Glycogen is a storage form of glucose in animals, it is made up of Alpha-glucose molecules joined together by a condensation reaction forming 1,4 & 1,6 glycosidic bonds. Glycogen is helical so that it is compact, it’s branched so that it can be easily hydrolysed for energy, it’s insoluble so that it doesn’t affect the water potential of cells & glycogen is large so that it cannot diffuse out of the cells.

Starch is a storage form of glucose in plants, it is made up of Alpha-glucose molecules joined together by a condensation reaction. Starch consists of Amylose & Amylopectin. Amylose has 1,4 glycosidic bonds, it’s helical therefore its compact so can store more glucose. Amylopectin has 1,4 & 1,6 glycosidic bonds and is highly branched so that it can be easily hydrolysed for energy. Starch is large so it cannot diffuse out of the cell, its insoluble so doesn’t affect water potential of the cell & its helical so compact.

Cellulose is used in the cell walls of plants, its made by Beta-glucose molecules joined together by a condensation reaction forming 1, 4 glycosidic bonds. Each alternate B-glucose molecule rotates 180* when joined together. The B-glucose molecules form straight unbranched chains, with many hydrogen bonds between the chains forming microfibrils, this provides high tensile strength to cellulose helping it provide rigidity to plant cell walls and helps them become turgid instead of bursting.
Reply 1
Hi all this is my first time writing an AS level biology essay, please can you provide feedback as I have no clue how to structure the essay, AOs etc. I'm in year 12 ans I'm gonna be tested on writing an essay on carbhohydrates soon, I haven't learned a lot of content yet so my essay isn't very in depth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending