The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Creighton court

Hello, everyone! My husband is going to get his Master at Reading University. We are coning in September with 2 kids under 3. I guess the only accommodation option for us is a flat at CREIGHTON COURT. Is it far from city center? Are there any shops around? Is there any Wi-Ficonnection? Is there a washinig machine in the flat? I would be glad to hear any information you could share.
Reply 1
Hi there, Im a student at reading, I dont live in Creighton but I live near it :smile: Its not far from city center, I believe its about 7 minutes by bus and they come every ten minutes or a 20 minute walk (maybe 15 but I would imagine not with young children :wink:). Just around the corner there are two shops that have all the essentials that you might run out of between supermarket shops and are really well stocked with a variety of foods and drinks along with toiletries and general newsagent things. There is also a pharmacy, gregs and a little cafe place. There are several supermarkets in the area (not walking distance) but it is a lot easier to get your shopping delivered and so the majority of students do this. I believe there is wifi connection as most halls were installed with it this year. However it can be quite slow at times and so I would suggest using the Ethernet if that's possible. In way of washing machines, I am not certain how many flats share one but I believe there are washing machines and tumble dryers available for you to use on the ground floor of Creighton. If they are anything like ours as long as you don't choose to do washing on a weekend you are fine and they are pretty much always available. I hope this helps!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you very much! That really helps) I am a little bit scared to go, but trying to think of it as a big adventure... Do you happen to know anything about part-time jobs? Are they easy to find? How much do they pay per hour? Do you work and study? Is it easy to do both?
Reply 3
I was terrified when I first came but everyone is so friendly and welcoming I had no need to be. You will have a great time and it is definitely an adventure! :smile:
I don't personally work but my flatmate does and quite a few on my course do. I don't think they find it too difficult but it can make the days very long or take up your weekends which can make life tricky when you have deadlines or exams coming up.
With regards to finding a job the uni is really helpful. They have a Job Shop inside the union with listings of part time jobs, internships and work experience opportunities. Furthermore the careers service are also really useful as they will check CVs, give mock interviews and go through how to approach application forms.
I'm not sure about pay though, I wouldn't think it would be far over minimum wage but I guess that depends on where you work :smile:
Reply 4
Creighton Court is already sold. We need to look for something outside the campus((

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending