The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Accomodation at edi :)

I just got an unconditional for Archaeology which I've accepted, but I am finding it difficult to choose accomodation :')

My favourite is Mylnes Court, but I'm not sure on other choices, as I've heard people rarely get their top choice.

I absolutely love Haddington Place and Brae house, but they are about 30 mins away from George Square and I think that's a bit too far. I like Morgan Court but I've heard bad reviews, so I'm not too sure about that either. I also like Blackwood Cresent, Kincaid's Court and warrender part Cresent and road, so I've got a few to choose from😭

Any advice/experiences with these accommodations or maybe others?
Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I have an offer for fashion and I'm also struggling with accommodation as there are pros and cons to all of them. I would prefer and ensuite and also somewhere close to the art campus and where everyone is quite social. Are you considering Pollock Halls? I've been unsure on them based on what I've heard about it being cliquey and rich, but I've also heard the social/night life is quite good over there so I really have no idea. :confused::confused: What are your top choices and why did you pick them?

Sorry I don't have any advice, also congrats on your offer!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by qqychn
Hi! I have an offer for fashion and I'm also struggling with accommodation as there are pros and cons to all of them. I would prefer and ensuite and also somewhere close to the art campus and where everyone is quite social. Are you considering Pollock Halls? I've been unsure on them based on what I've heard about it being cliquey and rich, but I've also heard the social/night life is quite good over there so I really have no idea. :confused::confused: What are your top choices and why did you pick them?

Sorry I don't have any advice, also congrats on your offer!!

I actually applied today! Mylnes court, Warrender park road, Warrender Park Cresent and Morgan Court.

I didn't think of Pollock Halls because of the price - I can't afford it lmao, it's now over £8,000. Plus the stereotype really put me off, and that it is catered.

I did want an en suite, but they are so expensive at edi that I haven't actually been able to consider any apart from Morgan Court.

For social stuff, I've heard Kincaid's Court is really good!!! It's their biggest self catered halls :smile:

I wanted somewhere kinda quiet, but also social! Kinda difficult but it's good that you can make friends on course, in societies etc.

Well done on your offer!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by frrya_
I actually applied today! Mylnes court, Warrender park road, Warrender Park Cresent and Morgan Court.

I didn't think of Pollock Halls because of the price - I can't afford it lmao, it's now over £8,000. Plus the stereotype really put me off, and that it is catered.

I did want an en suite, but they are so expensive at edi that I haven't actually been able to consider any apart from Morgan Court.

For social stuff, I've heard Kincaid's Court is really good!!! It's their biggest self catered halls :smile:

I wanted somewhere kinda quiet, but also social! Kinda difficult but it's good that you can make friends on course, in societies etc.

Well done on your offer!!

Ooo nice! I hope you get the one you want! Yes same, I am not the biggest drinker so wouldn't mind somewhere a little quieter but I also don't want to miss out on things that are going on or be too isolated from people so I will definitely consider Mylnes Court. The rooms also seem really spacious and it's close to campus too.

Just curious as to where else you applied to before choosing Edi? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by qqychn
Ooo nice! I hope you get the one you want! Yes same, I am not the biggest drinker so wouldn't mind somewhere a little quieter but I also don't want to miss out on things that are going on or be too isolated from people so I will definitely consider Mylnes Court. The rooms also seem really spacious and it's close to campus too.

Just curious as to where else you applied to before choosing Edi? :smile:

I'm a Scottish student btw! I applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Newcastle, UHI and Glasgow. I'm from near edi anyway so I wanted to be kinda close by and I loved the course :')
Aberdeen was my back up but it was just too far away and I didn't like to course as much!
Reply 5
Original post by frrya_
I'm a Scottish student btw! I applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Newcastle, UHI and Glasgow. I'm from near edi anyway so I wanted to be kinda close by and I loved the course :')
Aberdeen was my back up but it was just too far away and I didn't like to course as much!

Ahh okay, i’m from NW England but i managed to travel up for the offer holder day and I really liked it. I accepted my offer yesterday but I still have no idea about accommodation 🤧🤧. I had a walk round a few but there were no actual show rooms open.
Hi, I've accepted an offer for Classics & Divinity and I've chosen Mylnes Court (twice because I like the location so much) Salisbury, West Mains Court and Nicolson. I think the standard across all is pretty middling tbh. My insurance is Exeter and when I went down for the open day I was really impressed with all the modern and nice rooms.
Word of advice about Kincaid's - it's right where a lot of nightclubs and pubs are so can be pretty noisy very late at night
Reply 8
hi! i've just got allocated to nicolson yesterday. from what i've seen online, it seems like there aren't many complaints and the location looks pretty ideal. would love to hear from anyone who has stayed or are planning on staying since i don't know much about it
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mqrissa
hi! i've just got allocated to nicolson yesterday. from what i've seen online, it seems like there aren't many complaints and the location looks pretty ideal. would love to hear from anyone who has stayed or are planning on staying since i don't know much about it

Hi, I put Nicolson down too. When did you apply for the accommodation? I've haven't heard anything yet? I applied early last week.
Original post by DuffyRow
Hi, I put Nicolson down too. When did you apply for the accommodation? I've haven't heard anything yet? I applied early last week.

hi, I actually applied about 4-5 weeks ago immediately after getting my unconditional. from what I saw on their website, most of their allocation happens in May so i reckon it will come out very soon for all those who have firmed and applied for accommodation. do let me know what you get!
Original post by mqrissa
hi, I actually applied about 4-5 weeks ago immediately after getting my unconditional. from what I saw on their website, most of their allocation happens in May so i reckon it will come out very soon for all those who have firmed and applied for accommodation. do let me know what you get!

I will. What are you studying? Congrats on an unconditional. I still have to get the grades!
Original post by DuffyRow
I will. What are you studying? Congrats on an unconditional. I still have to get the grades!

thank youu, I'm studying medical science !! my programme finished in december so I managed to send in my grades in my application. what about you, what are you studying?
Original post by mqrissa
thank youu, I'm studying medical science !! my programme finished in december so I managed to send in my grades in my application. what about you, what are you studying?

I'm reading Classics & Divinity. Just checked my accommodation email and notifications aren't sent out until May and then there's seven days to pay for it!
Original post by frrya_
I just got an unconditional for Archaeology which I've accepted, but I am finding it difficult to choose accomodation :')

My favourite is Mylnes Court, but I'm not sure on other choices, as I've heard people rarely get their top choice.

I absolutely love Haddington Place and Brae house, but they are about 30 mins away from George Square and I think that's a bit too far. I like Morgan Court but I've heard bad reviews, so I'm not too sure about that either. I also like Blackwood Cresent, Kincaid's Court and warrender part Cresent and road, so I've got a few to choose from😭

Any advice/experiences with these accommodations or maybe others?
Thank you!!

I'm Philo/Theo in Mylnes court! I got my contract yesterday.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
It's been a long time aha but I ended up applying for Mylnes Court X2 (standard and large), Warrender park road, Warrender park Crescent and Morgan Court.

I've ended up in Warrender Park Crescent which I'm really happy about! I knew I wouldn't get Mylnes court as literally everyone I talked to was applying for it.
Original post by frrya_
It's been a long time aha but I ended up applying for Mylnes Court X2 (standard and large), Warrender park road, Warrender park Crescent and Morgan Court.

I've ended up in Warrender Park Crescent which I'm really happy about! I knew I wouldn't get Mylnes court as literally everyone I talked to was applying for it.

Congrats though!
Reply 17
Original post by buzzbuzzpoldy
I'm Philo/Theo in Mylnes court! I got my contract yesterday.

Ooh exciting! I'm history in Mylnes Court, I got my contract a few days ago :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by sillyguy98
Ooh exciting! I'm history in Mylnes Court, I got my contract a few days ago :smile:

Nice!! I'm hoping to switch to history and archaeology when I get there, do you have instagram?
I firmed for comp sci (unconditional offer) and within 3 days I had been allocated my second choice Beaverbank. I’m very happy with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending