The Student Room Group

Labour hold gender-segregated rally to appease Islamists

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2015/05/labour-stays-silent-over-gender-segregation-at-party-rally/

Very disturbing. Ed puts on a smiley friendly liberal facade but in reality he supports **** like this.

Scroll to see replies

It's quite shocking.I'm not British but when i looked at the pics I thought this event was taking place in Saudi Arabia.

Segregation in a European country? Unbelievable.Shameful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Deary me this reeks of desperation by the tories.
Original post by Bornblue

Please explain? This is disgusting regardless of party politics.

Labour MPs were involved in this. I seriously hope Ed (somebody who I actually think/thought well of will condemn this) and stop it from happening again.
Original post by Davij038
Please explain? This is disgusting regardless of party politics.

Labour MPs were involved in this. I seriously hope Ed (somebody who I actually think/thought well of will condemn this) and stop it from happening again.

If he went to give a talk to religious Jews (I am Jewish) it would be segregated.
This is an absolutely pathetic smear attempt.
If he went to give a talk to religious Jews (I am Jewish) it would be segregated.

Well as a secularist I don't think any self styled 'progressive' party should be supporting or condoning any segregation.

This coupled with labours failures in immigration and the Trojan horse scandals as well as the tower hamlets affair does not paint a nice picture. Immigration and multiculturalism is a good thing and should be encouraged. Labour are doing a great job at discrediting this with their pandering to community 'representatives'

It reeks of desperation by Labour. I think Labour themselves would say sexual segregation at a political event is against their principles. It is the very definition of sexism. But they're willing to ignore those principles in the hope they can grab a few more votes, which they desperately need.
Original post by Rinsed
It reeks of desperation by Labour. I think Labour themselves would say sexual segregation at a political event is against their principles. It is the very definition of sexism. But they're willing to ignore those principles in the hope they can grab a few more votes, which they desperately need.

So are Conservatives who support segregated schools also just as bad?
It's such a nothing story. It really is. Maybe they wanted to sit separately. Crikey, much ado about nothing.
This is just a pathetic attempt to discredit Labour over a nothing story.

Stop this horrible smear campaign.
Do we know if there was a segregation 'rule' or if it was the choice of the people attending?

The Party representatives seem to be sitting in close quarters.

Just trying to gage how concerned I should be.
Original post by dyslexicvegie
Do we know if there was a segregation 'rule' or if it was the choice of the people attending?

The Party representatives seem to be sitting in close quarters.

Just trying to gage how concerned I should be.

It's a smear campaign. The only proof is a picture.......
Absolute disgrace from the most disgraceful political party in Britain, save for the BNP.

I agree! it would be the same for many orthodox religions!

It's disgraceful. No political party should toady to the barbaric sentiments of religons like Islam or Judaism.
Reply 13
Lol. People on this thread acting like gender segregation is the end of the world.
Why is everybody making such a big deal out of this? Its pathetic!
Original post by Maariyah_p
I agree! it would be the same for many orthodox religions!

Hah! Another Muslim apologist!

And all those "orthodox religions" you speak of are a load of BS.

We make a big deal out of it because it's barbarism being imported into our culture. If you don't like British culture, leave our country.
Original post by ridwan12
It's a smear campaign. The only proof is a picture.......

Good point you can only see the front rows.

I was thinking that maybe it was a cultural thing and the audience just chose to sit like that. It's not like the candidate could make men and women sit next to eachother.

Any candidate with half a brain would not have insisted on gender segregation it would be a PR disaster. As 52% of the population are female.

I will now search for other publications on this story.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah it appears that the labour representatives were not the ones organising it. They were 'guests'- the event being held for them but not by them.

So the decision was not made by the labour party.

They could have walked out - that wouldn't have gone down well either.

Though I don't agree with it men and women sitting separately isn't an uncommon thing in minority cultures. It would be insensitive for any Labour representative to insist on a mixed seating arrangement.

A bit of an unfortunate incident.

Implementing sharia law is not a big deal? xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending