The Student Room Group

for the blokes!

So my partner (I'm in a long term committed relationship with him and we are moving in together hopefully by the end of june-in the process of handing the keys over)
We are really committed and I am pretty sure he's thinking about marriage...keeps asking if I'd wear a dress at my wedding when we go to other people's weddings he says 'ours will be like X' and I overheard him tell his dad he wants to be with me for the rest of our lives and have kids and stuff...
Anyway he is a little bit chubby and also very good looking (to me Anyway) but he's never really had much female attention before (we've been friends for years and ive never noticed anyone else approaching him...but I guess I can't know everything)
He has a real problem with his weight and thinks he looks bad although he is very attractive to me and I think he looks really good, I guess he is a little big but he's also very tall so I think he is healthy ...Like he recently got his hair cut and I thought it looked really good so I told him as much and he was like 'yeah right'
Every time I compliment him he doesn't believe me and thinks I'll inevitably just leave him or sleep with someone else..but I never will and only find him attractive (I don't even look at anyone else anymore)
How do I tell him? Let him know I fancy him loads so he believes me? Guys? Thanks x
That's gotta come from within the guy. He has to hit that low point before realizing, '' hell yeah, I've got a great girl, I got this " kinda thing, yeah?

Posted from TSR Mobile
^well that, but also come across as even more into him perhaps? I don't know how much space you give each other at the moment, but perhaps he wants a little less space (be careful with that though). And even if he doesn't believe you the more you affirm it the more it should eventually sink in. There's a fine line to tread though; do either of these too much and he still won't believe you - it's a tricky one.
Reply 3
Original post by Alaric III
^well that, but also come across as even more into him perhaps? I don't know how much space you give each other at the moment, but perhaps he wants a little less space (be careful with that though). And even if he doesn't believe you the more you affirm it the more it should eventually sink in. There's a fine line to tread though; do either of these too much and he still won't believe you - it's a tricky one.

We already spend loads of time together we were best mates before we got together and have mostly the same friends we're also living at my parents house together atm so would be weird if we spent more time together probably...hmm that's hard
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
We already spend loads of time together we were best mates before we got together and have mostly the same friends we're also living at my parents house together atm so would be weird if we spent more time together probably...hmm that's hard

He needs to do stuff to build his confidence - being in that place mentally myself I understand how he feels. But as has been said this isn't due to anything you've done or anything like that, it's just that he needs to pull himself together

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Andy98
He needs to do stuff to build his confidence - being in that place mentally myself I understand how he feels. But as has been said this isn't due to anything you've done or anything like that, it's just that he needs to pull himself together

Posted from TSR Mobile

So like going out with other mates and doing stuff to build his confidence? I've been trying to encourage him to do stuff with other people...
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
So like going out with other mates and doing stuff to build his confidence? I've been trying to encourage him to do stuff with other people...

Yeah stuff like that helps. But to put it simply, he needs to get out there and do the stuff he wants to do with his life. He needs to chase his dreams

Posted from TSR Mobile
keep complimenting him and he'l believe it after a while.

Do it passionately though not just, 'oh you look good today'

You should say stuff like "omg you're so hot" when you're having sex etc. That'l make him feel good about himself :biggrin:

He should start lifting though lol.
Reply 8
Original post by icdjabtjk
well you could keep on telling him you love him, you think he's really hot etc, and pick up on random physical features to tell him you like about him whatever it is from i really like how you smile to whatever other random things you like about him physically, and you could compliment his stomach too yeah say i love your stomach it's perfect to me and stroke it :P and make him feel really secure, that you'll never leave him, that you could only ever possibly want him.

Also on top of that you could help him to improve his physical condition, because i think to a guy it's important to feel fit and strong, you could try to find physical activities you could do together which will keep you both in shape and make him feel more confident within himself as well. It could be anything, from going hiking, taking a martial arts class together, going paintballing, doing water sports, just anything active at all I'm sure you could come up with things you'd both enjoy and could help you both be a bit more active as well, which could be good for his shape and confidence, as well as a fun day out hopefully.

Thank you so much for your response, we already run and go paintballing together and sometimes he swims with me but only rarely because he is so worried about his chest area so doesn't want to come with me too often. I always touch his chest and like when we are just sitting on the sofa watching TV I put my hands under his shirt and hold his tummy and say nice things about it but he looks uncomfortable he's also uncomfortable taking his top off when we are intimate which is upsetting...it makes me feel like it is my fault...we have sex a lot still it's just he doesn't often take his shirt off :/
Stop saying compliments for a while (not entirely, just tone it down), help him improve his chest, at the gym and such. When i say help i mean push him, help him push through the difficulties. then when he's improved, start saying it again. THEN he will believe you :wink: Just an idea :smile:
Does he really need to change his body and fit a stereotype to feel good about himself? I want him to feel fit and healthy but not to change his body just to feel good about himself :/
I don't want to make him go to the gym because that will prove what he thinks of m e that I don't like him the way he is...
As good as the advice building muscle is, I fear it may have a negative effect. It may just enforce his negative body image and make him feel pressured to improve his body wieght. I personally would challenge him when he bring up his wieght. For example, if he says he looks overwieght u could ask him if u or any of his friends have ever picked up on it. Like mentioned early, I would also give him praise and highlight his strengths in other areas and when u can as long as it's meaningful. Continuing to encourage him to go out and do things he enjoys and aims towards is also a good idea. U could also indirectly improve his wieght by doing more excerise together such as walks and sports.
Hope some of this may help and good luck in the future!
Original post by Jamessturman
As good as the advice building muscle is, I fear it may have a negative effect. It may just enforce his negative body image and make him feel pressured to improve his body wieght. I personally would challenge him when he bring up his wieght. For example, if he says he looks overwieght u could ask him if u or any of his friends have ever picked up on it. Like mentioned early, I would also give him praise and highlight his strengths in other areas and when u can as long as it's meaningful. Continuing to encourage him to go out and do things he enjoys and aims towards is also a good idea. U could also indirectly improve his wieght by doing more excerise together such as walks and sports.
Hope some of this may help and good luck in the future!

Exactly like I agree he's come so far confidence wise like he would never be the first one to say hello to new people but now it makes me so happy when we are at like a party or somewhere like a bar he's always going up to people introducing himself which is great.
I absolutely don't want to reinforce that which is why I'm wary to get him a gym pass or whatever because i love him the way he is and fancy him the way he is I don't want him to change or to change him he is fit and healthy and attractive to me he just doesn't feel that way. I get what others are saying about him not feeling masculine enough but he does in other ways like he is training to be an engineer and he works in a garage and goes shooting and paintballing and goes running with me...is that masculine enough? I just want him to feel good about himself and accept my praise and compliments...
well you could keep on telling him you love him, you think he's really hot etc, and pick up on random physical features to tell him you like about him whatever it is from i really like how you smile to whatever other random things you like about him physically, and you could compliment his stomach too yeah say i love your stomach it's perfect to me and stroke it :P and make him feel really secure, that you'll never leave him, that you could only ever possibly want him.

Also on top of that you could help him to improve his physical condition, because i think to a guy it's important to feel fit and strong, you could try to find physical activities you could do together which will keep you both in shape and make him feel more confident within himself as well. It could be anything, from going hiking, taking a martial arts class together, going paintballing, doing water sports, just anything active at all I'm sure you could come up with things you'd both enjoy and could help you both be a bit more active as well, which could be good for his shape and confidence, as well as a fun day out hopefully.

maybe you could buy him some weights as well and make him do them once a week, you could do some too with him so even if he finds it boring it wont be as bad that way, you can say "im going to do my weights now" and lift a few then tell him to do some because you want to see how much he can lift, then be impressed, then keep on making him do them once a week when you do them. But that is a kind of silly suggestion :P But, I think couples give each other habits as well, if you were more active he probably would be too and vice versa.

That's good advice actually about seeming impressed I'll do that thanks x
oh some other thing you could do is not pay attention to mens bodies like if youre out shopping and theres topless men in adverts in shop windows, dont stare at them, or if youre watching a film together and theres a buff semi nude guy who's just appeared on screen, you could at that moment hug and kiss your bf turning your attention away from the screen and onto him, these kind of things could maybe make him happy too.

I'm not into those kinds of men though that's my point I don't look at other men even if they are on TV/in a film I always cuddle and kiss and look at my bf. That's my point I like my bf the way he is chubbiness and all!
Anon, I'm impressed by your sheer commitment! If only the bloke could see how hard you're working just to make him feel better...... ( I'm hinting at something here)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending