The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Studying at Hull?

Hi,

As everybody else here I thought about applying for the University of Hull. While having a look through the brochure i found the course educational studies with psychology quite interesting. Now I'm not sure whether Hull is the best choice.
Because i'm a student from Germany i wanted to ask if you think that it would be difficult for me to understand the lectures. In general i can understand English quite well when i watch BBC or any other English films but i was told that the Nortern accent is really difficult to understand.

Hope anyone can help me...

samah
Reply 1
I see you've posted on the 'crap towns' thread and you're worried by Hull's bad reputation, so I've cross-posted my contribution to that thread onto here.

I wouldn't worry about the accent, btw: it's not that strong!

There's a lot of drivel being talked on this thread, frankly.

As per usual, Hull comes in for a load of ill-informed criticism by people who don't know the place, sometimes haven't even visited it, and judge it by its reputation.

Hull's a great place, and most people who've lived there or studied there will tell you so.

Okay, so the centre of it is not pretty (blame the Luftwaffe!), but many parts of it are very attractive. It's a big, sprawling place, and inevitably it has its less nice bits (I'm thinking Marfleet and Gypsyville...), but it also has places like The Avenues. Living costs are very low - I used to rent a whole flat in a nice area for £200 a month - and getting about it easy.

It's a good place to live, too: there's plenty going on, the nightlife is excellent (better than most cities of its size) and the pubs are second to none. Go and have a few drinks around the Old Town and Beverley Road and then tell me Hull's crap...! Hull can be a bit rough in some places, but no more so than any other city and I never felt unsafe there. I also found it a very friendly place, although it is fair to say it can be a little insular. The schools aren't great, but the university is excellent.

I moved to London eight months ago. 'You must be really pleased to be here rather than Hull,' someone said to me the other week. She was horrified when I said 'certainly not,' but I meant it. I would move back to Hull tomorrow if I could: it's laid-back, friendly, cheap, endearing and safe. London, an overpriced, overrated and overcrowded dump, is none of those things.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
hi :smile:

Thanks for your post. You don't know about if the uni has a basketball team do you?
May i ask if you have studied at the Uni of Hull or are you studying in London?
Reply 3
There are men's and women's basketball teams. The best place to look for info on sports teams - and student activities in general - is Hull University Union's website, www.hullstudent.com. You should find some more details on there.

I was never an undergraduate at the University of Hull, but I did do my MA and PhD there. I also worked in the student union for a few years, so I know the university and the city pretty well.
Reply 4
Thanks. You've been a great help :smile:
Reply 5
Re the lecturers - the vast majority of the lecturing staff I was tought by did not have northern accents, so I wouldn't worry too much, the nature of our cherished class system is that they are generally from backgrounds whereby they speak in an easy to understand manner.
clumsy^^
Hi,

As everybody else here I thought about applying for the University of Hull. While having a look through the brochure i found the course educational studies with psychology quite interesting. Now I'm not sure whether Hull is the best choice.
Because i'm a student from Germany i wanted to ask if you think that it would be difficult for me to understand the lectures. In general i can understand English quite well when i watch BBC or any other English films but i was told that the Nortern accent is really difficult to understand.

Hope anyone can help me...

samah

The teaching staff generally do not have strong accents! :smile: I second blueincubus! Besides, some staff are from overseas anyway. I was taught by lecturers who came from a broad diversity of not only social backgrounds but also countries ranging from France to New Zealand.

Latest