The Student Room Group

Disabled Students Allowance

Does anyone know or have any experience about applying for or receiving "Disabled Student Allowance" ?

I would like to study a distance learning degree

Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
I have some experience with it. claimed it for 2 years for sfw and now going to get it through nhs. how could i help?
Thanks for replying so swiftly Claire. I have cerebral palsy and I have bee told I'll meet the criteria for Disabled students allowance. I plan to do a degree from home (distance learning) what will the allowance pay for and what can I expect in the form of payment please ?

I am aware of certain facts, such as it being none refundable and none means tested.

Thanks a bundle

Dean
To put it simply if pays for any extra costs of studying your disability causes you.
Unless you re going through the nhs you ll never see the money youself, the dsa pays a supplier directly.
Basically, you can get help in the form of equipment and software, for example if you finding typing painful they will buy you speech to text software to do assignments with and then non medical helpers so you could have a support worker to help your with organisation and proof reading and the like. They also have a travel allowance but since your distance learning i dont think you d get that allowance.

It all depends on what impact your cerebal palsy has on you, but its a case of having a needs assesment which is like a conversation where you explain your difficuties and they tell you what dsa can pay for for you really:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
To put it simply if pays for any extra costs of studying your disability causes you.
Unless you re going through the nhs you ll never see the money youself, the dsa pays a supplier directly.
Basically, you can get help in the form of equipment and software, for example if you finding typing painful they will buy you speech to text software to do assignments with and then non medical helpers so you could have a support worker to help your with organisation and proof reading and the like. They also have a travel allowance but since your distance learning i dont think you d get that allowance.

It all depends on what impact your cerebal palsy has on you, but its a case of having a needs assesment which is like a conversation where you explain your difficuties and they tell you what dsa can pay for for you really:smile:
Well I have read most or if not all of the info ONLINE. BUT I wanted to here from someone who has ACTUALLY received of applied for DSA. Many thank Dean :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
They also have a travel allowance but since your distance learning i dont think you d get that allowance.

Some distance learning courses have tutorials. OU do. When I was studying, I was awarded travel costs. I had to have someone with me to take me to tutorials. (you can't give me a map and expect me to get from A to B because it won't happen) I paid for my own travel costs (because everyone else has to) and DSA paid for my mum's travel costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending