The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Found this paper quite nice, managed to finish with about 10-15 minutes left... one question I wasn't sure on was how farmers in south africa may adapt to changes in rainfall and increased temperature, just talked about genetically modified crops to counteract the increase in insects due to higher temperature, and that they might plant different crops
for part b of question 10 I wrote about economic migration to Spain and retirement migration to Spain... is this wrong :frown:
Did anyone mention case studies at all? If so, which question?
Original post by beachelsea
what were the reasons for there being more 0-5 year olds?

I wrote that young fertile immigrants (from eastern european countries, 2004) had raised the fertility rate in the UK, resulting in the increase of 0-5 year olds.
Original post by James9072
Found this paper quite nice, managed to finish with about 10-15 minutes left... one question I wasn't sure on was how farmers in south africa may adapt to changes in rainfall and increased temperature, just talked about genetically modified crops to counteract the increase in insects due to higher temperature, and that they might plant different crops

I wrote for the droughts to plant drought resistant crops and the increase in temp causes pests so farmers could spray more pesticides on their fields.
I'm not sure about the last point though.
Original post by Remne
I have no common sense :frown: Struggled to talk about why California receives drought - only mentioned La Nina!

Also dat question about economic effects of global warming on Africa WITHOUT referring to agriculture?!?

For 'dat question', I put people move to refugee camps to escape famine: overcrowding leads to competition for jobs so unemployment or v low wage and disease as people live in close to proximity and mentioned ebola (dont know why... just felt right) means money spent to find and distribute vaccinations. Also migration to coastal cities where there is water- air pollution cost government to clean and more people vulnerable to floods- cost government to repair damage
Did anyone do Q7?
Original post by subhan7863
Did anyone mention case studies at all? If so, which question?

I did some stuff on Easyjet for the transport development question
does anyone know if you can retake this module next year or nahh..
Original post by Retropattern
Did anyone do Q7?

I did 7, for a I said that the predictions show an increase in people living in urban areas, therefore more people are susceptible and its more likely its going to be disaster. Also, more people=urbanisation-leads to floods(reduced infiltration) and landslides (deforestation). Also said more people in sub-saharan which is drought prone-low capacity to cope-at risk to secondary effects. Also very briefly went back and added how more people living in Philippines which is a hazard hotspot.

For b, Physical factors include warm seas in tropics and Australia means flooding due to evaporation and condensation...Also, eustatic sea level rise in Tuvulu and Bangladesh causes flooding-caused by greenhouse effect melting ice caps (albedo effect) and thermal expansion. Also put isostatic like in New Orleans causing cities to be below rivers. Concluded by saying that theres no general trend in distribution like tropical storms, and that its hard to mitigate the effects of physical factors but we can prevent anthropogenic causes which exacerbating the problem like the enchanced greenhouse effect.
what did everyone write about the question where we were given a rainfall graph for the UK and it asked about how it support/reject that rainfall has been increasing in the UK?
Also for the earthquake in coastal areas in California, is it just the usual stuff like 'san andreas fault....etcetc?'
I found the essays quite tricky this year. I think they all have simple basic ideas but then there were particular words that limited what I could write for example in question 10b, 'contrasting'...so I did question 7 but I think i screwed up part a.... what did you guys include in 7a?
Original post by Quinners7
I did 7, for a I said that the predictions show an increase in people living in urban areas, therefore more people are susceptible and its more likely its going to be disaster. Also, more people=urbanisation-leads to floods(reduced infiltration) and landslides (deforestation). Also said more people in sub-saharan which is drought prone-low capacity to cope-at risk to secondary effects. Also very briefly went back and added how more people living in Philippines which is a hazard hotspot.

For b, Physical factors include warm seas in tropics and Australia means flooding due to evaporation and condensation...Also, eustatic sea level rise in Tuvulu and Bangladesh causes flooding-caused by greenhouse effect melting ice caps (albedo effect) and thermal expansion. Also put isostatic like in New Orleans causing cities to be below rivers. Concluded by saying that theres no general trend in distribution like tropical storms, and that its hard to mitigate the effects of physical factors but we can prevent anthropogenic causes which exacerbating the problem like the enchanced greenhouse effect.

****, it, by physical factors I thought it mean't low lying coast lands
Surely taking about Albedo effect / Eustatic rise is irrelevant. The question asked about global distribution of flood, this means physical characteristics that make flooding more frequent and less frequent in some areas of the world as opposed to others?
Reply 73
I flopped that, such a hard exam for me and the timings they allow are ridiculous, aqa allow extra times by 5 minutes or so.
Literally missed out 8/9 marks on the short questions, this paper was harder than all past papers i believe.
and i wrote just two paragraphs on part b, ridiculous.
Original post by OL350
Reasonable paper in my opinion. For those who are criticising the exam for not allowing students to refer to their extensive knowledge on case studies, all geography exams are like that.

The only questions I found fairly difficult was the one on 'iHub' and how it causes more flows or something along those lines? What did everyone put for it?

it creates a better connection between other countries so people can skype their family. also that trade can happen as commpanies can communicate. Also tncs coulds set up business through being able to communicat via email. and the very fact that afriac countries have leap frogged from no communication to using mobile phones
Original post by Bookworm hazards
****, it, by physical factors I thought it mean't low lying coast lands

Isostatic sea level rise is pretty much low lying coast lands
What did you guys write for the fair trade question?

I think I lost marks there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by OL350
Reasonable paper in my opinion. For those who are criticising the exam for not allowing students to refer to their extensive knowledge on case studies, all geography exams are like that.

The only questions I found fairly difficult was the one on 'iHub' and how it causes more flows or something along those lines? What did everyone put for it?

Well past papers say refer to examples quite often, this paper limited you a lot, so i disagree with that
I was really hoping for a Philippines question :frown:
Reply 79
For the fair trade q I just wrote a case study lol and why the companies I mentioned were good/helping.

I also mentioned a bunch of case studies not in loads of detail just a mention here and there which I though was what you were meant to do anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending