The Student Room Group

Use this thread to post personal statements to be uploaded onto the Wiki!

If you would like your statement uploading onto the wiki and you are not in the current application cycle, please post below. Please include the subjects you applied for, and offers you received and which ones you accepted. Thank you very much for your contributions!

Kirsty xxx
EDIT by Roger Kirk:

If you agree to up load your PS to the wiki, you may find people comment on your PS to point out the best (and worst its of it). This is simply to help other people more to identify how to write their own PSs. Please do not agree to upload your PS if you would be uncomfortable reading such comments.

If you have already uploaded your PS to the library and do not wish to have these comments, then please post in here and we can see about removing your PS :smile:

Thanks,

RK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya,
I'm in the current application cycle, but have now recieved all my decisions. Is there some rule about not posting personal statements until the end of the application cycle, or is it ok to post it now?
Reply 2
Wait until the end of the cycle, then post. Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
You have to wait till the end of the cycle. I called UCAS up today as anything can change between now and end of term.
Reply 4
Hello! Here's my PS, hope it is of use....
Applied:

Barts and the London -Offer AAB after interview
Glasgow-Offer AAB after interview
Leeds-Offer AAB after interview
Sheffield- Rejected without interview

And it's for medicine :smile:

Whilst shadowing a surgeon, I watched a boy lift his foot for the first time in six weeks as his cast was removed. The boy had a tendon in his foot severed by a falling pane of glass and had undergone reconstructive surgery to repair the damage. The doctor's technical skill and intimate knowledge of the human body coupled with a strong empathy and concern for the boy really struck a chord with me.

The ability to make a real and tangible difference to a person's life is a key factor that draws me to medicine. The sense of satisfaction at seeing a patient leave one's care after successful treatment would prove to be very rewarding, knowing that you have changed their life for the better in some way. Medicine offers the challenge of diagnosis as well as treatment in a dynamic and fast paced environment, allowing me to combine my love of science with human interaction.

As well as observing medicine and its allied professions in a hospital, I spent over six months in an ambulatory care clinic. At the clinic, I visited departments ranging from biomedical laboratories to medical records as well as doctor's surgeries. From observing doctors and speaking to them about their experiences, I was given an insight as to the challenges faced when treating patients such as the difficulty in making ethical decisions, but also experienced the personal satisfaction that treatment and care brings.

Whilst I know that medicine is a challenging career, both mentally, physically and emotionally, spending time in clinical settings has increased my desire to be a member of what is a constantly evolving profession. The opportunities that medicine offers in terms of lifelong learning together with the ability to be directly involved in patient diagnosis and treatment interests me greatly; appealing to my naturally inquisitive nature about the human body and how these functions can go wrong. To support this, I read the Student BMJ and the New Scientist regularly.

One of my most fulfilling experiences was six months in a school for Special Needs children where I was attached to a class to teach basic writing skills. The mutual pleasure gained from the relationships forged over the six months was a truly rewarding experience and reinforced my commitment to work in a caring field such as medicine.

Within my school, I am a School Prefect and Lower School Liaison. I have also been elected by my peers as Managing Director of a Young Enterprise Company, a position requiring effective teamwork and the ability to communicate clearly with other group members. I also received a Special Mention for the Sixth Form Pastoral Award. As a guitarist, I have participated in many school concerts, teaching me the importance of cooperation within a group. In addition, I have been a disc jockey for four years and have entertained crowds of up to 3000 people. I am a keen sailor, having reached RYA Level 2 and an active SCUBA diver to PADI Open Water level.

Whilst I hold no romanticised ideas of a career in medicine, I am constantly aware of the positive effects a doctor can have on a person, offering treatment and comfort to many. It is my dream one day to be able to offer a high standard of knowledge, skill and care to patients through studying and practicing medicine.

I was helped a lot by my PS checker on TSR and want to give it back to the Wiki now...so feel free to add it if you like!
Reply 5
Thanks.

I take it this is for entry this academic year? ie after the holidays?

What i'm doing even through results and offers are confirmed, i'm waiting until the academic year starts before uploading statements from this cycle. I'll save it to my list on my computer, and upload it once term starts! Just in case something really bad happens - hopefully it won't!

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
Reply 6
lol - ok - i'll try and get that sorted soonish!:smile:
Reply 7
applied for Archaeology BA at
Durham - BBB
UCL - BBB after interview
Cardiff - BBB
Exeter - ABB
Bristol - BBC (+ scholarship)
York - BBB

got offers from all 6
Durham firm, Cardiff insurance and am going to Durham

personal statement:

Archaeology captivated me when visiting the Potters Bar museum as a 7 year old. I loved the museum’s display of Roman tiles and hypocaust and still treasure a piece of Roman hypocaust earned by completing a quiz aimed at teenagers. Archaeology is my passion as I enjoy studying how our ancestors lived and how this has affected the way we live now. My hope is to pursue a career in a heritage department of the civil service. Although I had always considered it, my decision to study Archaeology at university came after a week’s dig near South Cadbury. This summer I joined a two-week training dig at Castell Henllys under Harold Mytum and plan to take part again next year. A dig at Turners Hall farm, the site of a Romano British Villa near my home, provided me with further experience. Being unable to join an archaeological dig for work experience, I chose to work at St. Albans museum. This was interesting as Roman Britain fascinates me. My tasks included measuring tesserae and deciphering the writing on Roman coins.
On family holidays, we have visited castles and other archaeological sites, including Hadrian's Wall and Castell Henllys in Pembrokeshire. I have been a member of various clubs and societies, including the Young Archaeologists club and I am currently a member of the St. Albans Archaeology & Architectural society.
Being a member of NAGTY has given me wonderful opportunities to learn more about Archaeology. I have joined an online study group and in April will participate in a 5-day archaeology course at Villiers Park. During a Critical Thinking course at Durham University, we had a chance to decipher the writing on Roman coins. This course and my critical thinking AS have given me valuable skills for an Archaeology degree.
My AS levels have helped me to understand more aspects of our history. In Religious Studies we spent a lot of time looking at Ancient Greek Philosophers. This has given me an insight into how that ancient civilisation thought and has made me want to know more about other civilizations.
Current affairs greatly interest me. During October half term, I will spend a week working at the House of Commons with the MP for Hitchin and Harpenden, Peter Lilley. Being a member of my school debating society, winning the regional final of a public speaking competition, and taking part in a model United Nations, have all helped me to enhance my teamwork skills. It has also made me better able to develop arguments and increased my public speaking abilities.
Outside education, my main interest is music. I play the cello to grade 7 standard, have passed grade 5 piano, grade 7 singing and plan to take grade 8 singing before the end of year 13. Playing in orchestras since the age of 7 and being the sole cellist for many years has increased my confidence hugely. I remain the only cellist in my church band and am in St. Albans Philomusica (the senior local youth orchestra). With my school orchestra, I have toured various European countries. I look forward to joining an orchestra at university. I have sung many solos in my church choir and sang a solo in the Messiah with my school choir. Being deputy head girl for my church choir has improved my leadership skills. For the inter-house music competition last year, I ran and conducted the 20 strong house junior choir and helped to run it again this year. During my free time at school I have helped in the school library and learning support and mentored a year 7.
I am pro-active in organising social events among my friends, recently arranging for a group of 14 to visit the West End to see the musical Spamalot. With another friend, I arranged to go on the BBC IQ Test the Nation in the state school group and achieved an IQ score of 136. I firmly believe that I will gain much from university as it will give me a chance to study the subject I love and that a university will receive much from me, both academically and socially, in return.
Reply 8
Thanks. Thats on my to do list. :smile:
I applied for Business and Business and Politics

Got 6 offers

Cardiff ABB - Firm
Aston ABB / BBB ( for Business and Politics)
Hull BBC - Insurance
Oxford Brookes BBB / BBB ( for Business and Politics)

My aim in studying business is to develop a broader awareness of how businesses operate, manage, change and grow whilst expanding my knowledge of the economic and political environments. My interest in business has grown as I have developed a deeper understanding of the relationship between business, society, entrepreneurship and social responsibility. Initially my interest in business was first sparked by a period of work experience at Fly Helicentre, a small helicopter company. During my time there I was able to observe the opportunities and the challenges faced by small companies; I am looking forward to gaining further practical experience which will give me the opportunity to observe the application of theory.

Through my current A’Level studies I have developed organisation, research and analytical skills to a high level. My study of business has helped me acquire knowledge and understanding of how businesses behave and the environment in which they operate and to be aware of how both politics and economics plays a key role in influencing business and competition. I have a keen interest in the ethical dimension of business; this interest has been developed further through my study of human geography topics covering migration, economics and pollution. My English Language studies have not only developed my communication skills but have given me an awareness of the power of language and also the language of power. The use and abuse of power has been a theme running through my set texts for English Literature A’Level; “The Tempest”, “Jane Eyre” and “Hey Nostradamus” by Douglas Coupland, which have all touched on issues of power, authority, and alienation. My interest in issues of social justice have been demonstrated by my entering, last year, for the school essay competition, winning a prize for an essay on We have a moral duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves both on an individual and a global scale.’

A major interest I have is politics. My own political views are not yet fixed and I retain an open mind and I am receptive to learning about new ideas and philosophies. My reading ranges from popular political writing such as Michael Moore to Will Hutton’s “The State We’re In”. I find that the internet is a great political forum and I regularly read the online political coverage of The Guardian, The Times and The Washington Post; I particularly enjoy getting involved in political debate online. My interest in politics is closely linked to my interest in business as economic growth and change is influenced by political decision making.

I greatly enjoy sport; I have played regularly for my school hockey team, appearing for the 1st team for the past three seasons. I am a lifelong Liverpool supporter attending home games whenever I can. After living in the USA for two years I still keenly follow American Soccer though sadly only via the internet. Besides sport I read widely enjoying both fiction and non-fiction and I avidly listen to dance music.

Being the first member of my family to go on to higher education makes me determined to take full advantage of the opportunities attending university will open up for me; this along with my commitment and enthusiasm will enable me to make a positive contribution to your university. I am looking forward to all aspects of university life and I intend to get the most out of my degree, expanding my understanding and working hard whilst acquiring the knowledge to go on to a successful career in a related field.
Reply 10
Have added it :smile:
I applied for maths =)
Exeter - BBB - Firm
Reading - 300 points, B in maths - Insurance
Southampton - ABB after interview
Leicester - 300 points, A in maths
Loughborough - 300 points, A in maths
Bristol - rejected, no interview

Galileo once said, "Nature's great book is written in mathematics." I would love to further my understanding of Nature's great book and increase my knowledge of mathematics. Mathematics has always been a key part of my life. I grew up around continual math problems; for example, when I was only six years old I was encouraged to cube the number 7. When I was undergoing large amounts of dental treatments I was encouraged to expand brackets, and factorise equations in my head. As a result I hate to leave a problem unfinished, I have a need to complete puzzles and problems. Due to my love of maths my dream is to pass my love of the subject onto children. Cryptography is another area of maths that I enjoy, breaking a code, and reading the gibberish that appears to be written on the page is a real thrill. I would love to pursue a career in cryptography, before going into teaching.

During my first year of 6th Form I have voluntarily assisted with lower school maths classes, helping those who needed help. In addition, for two hours a week, I help with the Reception class at a local infants school. I intend to carry on this voluntary work during my final year at school. During the summer holidays I was employed to work at the Numeracy School, which was aimed at Year 6 pupils who were achieving Level 2 or 3. During the week I helped teach thirteen children mathematical skills. Prior to my A Levels I helped in The Blandford School library. I volunteered my breaks and lunches three times a week from the beginning of my time at the school, in Year 9, until I left in Year 11. Volunteering my time to help other people has taught me how important it is to be someone that people can rely on to be there at the right time and place. Helping to teach the younger children also showed me the importance of being able to be understood, and to be able to decipher what younger children, some of whom have speech impediments and other learning disabilities, are trying to tell you. During Year 8 I was made Form Captain, and a member of the school council, which taught me the importance of being organised and listening to other people's viewpoints.

In 2001 I was chosen as one of the four representatives of my county to go to the Children's Book Awards, which was an honour. Being chosen showed that I was an avid reader who enjoyed a wide variety of books, as I still do. I enjoy spending my spare time reading books, often those based on fantasy such as 'The Belgariad' by David Eddings. I also particularly like reading books by Dave Pelzer and Dan Brown. I play the flute and piano, at grade 5 and grade 6 standard respectively, and this has given me, not only enjoyment, but has improved my creativity as well. I have also attained a Merit in Grade 5 Theory. Participating in concerts has improved my confidence. I have been a member of Devizes and District Wind Band for a year, and have been a regular participant in my school orchestra, participating in all school concerts. My motivation and patience has enabled me to achieve these standards of playing. I would love to continue playing my instruments whilst at University, possibly joining the orchestra or wind band. My wide-ranging interests include surfing the Internet, sewing, and cross-stitch. I have recently started a Saturday job in a small shop selling china. Maintaining the balance between my academic and social life is key to my achievements at school. I have learnt to be respectful and tolerant of other cultures and religions, and to respect other people's opinions.

My preferred areas of study have been mathematics and core. These are integral to mathematics and have always intrigued me. Performing mathematics has always been my passion, and I whole-heartedly agree with Paul Halmos when he stated: "The only way to learn mathematics is to do mathematics." I look forward to applying that concept at University.

=)
I submitted my PS on the Wiki by myself, but it doesn't appear to have shown up in the personal statement library (I'm guessing admins/moderators must confirm they are legitimate before they appear on the page?).

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Business_Mathematics_and_Statistics
Reply 13
thanks for the link - we just have to add categories, so that it goes into the right place. I may do that now for you. Usually when you added the statement, and we patrolled the edit it should have been highlighted then... i'lll check it out!
Reply 14
Can you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease remove the stupid annoying thing from the title?
Juno
Can you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease remove the stupid annoying thing from the title?

What stupid annoying thing?
Reply 16
Roger Kirk
What stupid annoying thing?

begins with "W" and ends in "arren"
*confused*
Reply 18
History and Politics
Aberystwyth (LVF1) Conditional offer - 280 points
Exeter (LV21) Conditional offer - AAB
LSE (LV21) Conditional offer - ABB
Manchester (VL12) Conditional offer - AAB
Warwick (VL12) Conditional offer - AABc

History
Cambridge (V100) Conditional offer - AAA

Personal statement

I have been attracted to the broad and related disciplines of history and politics as a way of satisfying my innate curiosity about the world for many years. The interaction between the two separate subjects particularly interests me; I believe that the ability to contextualise current events against a historical backdrop is necessary to understand both contemporary society and its development. I recently enjoyed reading Eric Hobsbawm's On History, which helped to highlight the complementary nature of history and politics and fostered a burgeoning interest in historiography which I hope to be able to extend at university. My early fascination with history was furthered through my GCSE course, which provided me with my first opportunity to study extra-European history, expanding my world view. It also sparked my interest in political ideology. This interest has been advanced through my A Level studies, which have also encouraged an interest in the history of political thought. My knowledge and understanding of totalitarianism has increased through studying Nazi Germany as part of my A Level History course whilst the profound impact of history upon politics has been made clear through studying nineteenth century Britain.

My choice of government and politics at A Level was in many ways a natural one, providing me with the framework to explore my attraction to the subject and helping to confirm my desire to pursue it in more depth. I have always been interested in current affairs but it was my A Level course that really inspired me to seek to develop a better understanding of the issues behind the headlines. History has regularly asserted itself as an important and compelling subject amongst my A Levels, frequently underpinning my studies in politics as well as geography, and it is its perpetual relevance that encourages me to continue to study it. This summer I spent time studying politics at Eton College on the Universities Summer School. I welcomed the opportunity to address new topic areas such as the American constitution. The experience proved invaluable, both in affirming my commitment to study history and politics at university and in improving my time management skills. Visits to the Welsh Assembly and Houses of Parliament have similarly allowed me to engage with one of my chosen subjects; witnessing politics in action truly demonstrated the importance of political participation to me. One of the most rewarding experiences I had this year was taking part in an exchange with a school in Le Mans. The experience improved my communication skills, raised my confidence and created an eagerness to travel and delve into the histories of other nations and cultures.

At school I am a prefect and the duties and responsibilities this brings have taught me the importance of effective organisation and preparation. During Year 12 I was involved in a reading partnership scheme, which was very worthwhile and allowed me to pass on my fondness of literature to a pupil who had reading difficulties. In my own time, I enjoy reading biographies and memoirs and value the insight that they can provide into individuals' pasts.

Voluntary work in an Oxfam charity shop over a period of six months underscored the role played by pressure groups in a democratic society and led me to consider working for one in the future. I aspire to work for a human rights organisation where knowledge of the historical background of countries would be useful in gaining a good grasp of the current political climate. I am highly motivated and ambitious, and keen to involve myself in all aspects of university life. I would especially like to write for a student newspaper. I look forward to the prospect of extending my interest in history and politics further and becoming an active member of the wider university community.
Reply 19
I applied for History (V100 all courses)

Reading- Conditional offer 300 points with a B in History (Accepted as Insurance)
Sheffield- Conditional offer AAB
Liverpool- Conditional offer AAB
Leeds- Conditional offer AAB
Sussex- Conditional offer AAB (Accepted as Firm)
LSE- Unsuccessful

Personal Statement

History is something that has influenced me before I even started to learn about it; the world that I grew up in, the events that shaped my life; the person that I have become is defined by my history and the history of the people around me. How can we live in the world and yet know nothing about the events that made it? To me, History is so much more than memorising facts about the past; it is my route to understanding the present and maybe even the future as well. For these reasons no other course would be as important or worthwhile to me than a History degree.

My enjoyment of the study of History is something that has grown throughout my education. As I have progressed through my GCSE and A level courses I have been especially fascinated by topics such as the Suffragettes and life in Nazi Germany. I find it engrossing to learn about how I might have lived and how my life would have been had I been born in a different time period. This appreciation of the lifestyles that I learn about makes me constantly engaged and interested in what I am learning. Recently I have begun my independent coursework project which has given me the opportunity to work and research independently on my chosen topic of the Northern Ireland Troubles. This has been an interest of mine for a long time as my father was a member of the British Army and stationed in Northern Ireland during this time. Books such as 'Provos' by Peter Taylor and 'Home Rule' by Alvin Jackson have provided me with a valuable insight into beliefs and motives from both sides of the conflict. I was intrigued by the backgrounds of the IRA militants, many of whom would have never been recognised, had it not been for the circumstances that they found themselves in. Exploring the subject has encouraged me to develop my own opinions, something that I look forward to doing more at university.

At school, my role as a History prefect involves me setting up a History club for the younger years, and also hopefully playing a part in persuading students to take GCSE and A level History. I welcome the extra responsibility that the position requires and look forward to sharing my enthusiasm for the subject and making people aware of the many benefits of studying History.

Over the past two years I feel that I have increased my competence in many different areas due to my diverse range of A level subjects. English Literature has furthered my analytical and essay writing skills and has also taught me to look for deeper meanings within a piece of writing. Studying Psychology has given me a better awareness of why people behave the way they do. Acquiring this knowledge of behaviour has led me to an enhanced understanding of the historical figures that I study. In Year Twelve I was given the opportunity to complete an AS in Critical Thinking, I found this particularly useful as I now feel more confident in assessing and creating arguments, something that I am applying to my A2 History essays.

Outside school I enjoy acting within an amateur dramatics society which I would like to continue at university. I also love to read in general, although I have a preference for historical fiction and fantasy. At the moment I am reading 'The Josephine Bonaparte Trilogy' by Sandra Gulland and am finding it an interesting complement to my studies on Napoleon.

Lamartine once said 'History teaches everything, including the future', a statement which echoes my own sentiments about History. I am greatly attracted to the diversity that a History degree can offer me and would relish the opportunity to be able to study it at university.

Latest

Trending

Trending