The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology Unit 2 - 1 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thirdjune
Personally i would just do all the papers again, by doing papers you are not only learning exam techniques, but you are also revising aswell. You can know the spec and all the info like the back of your hand, but if you don't know how to answer the question in the way that AQA want, its useless.

good idea, thank you:biggrin:
Original post by Jakz007
Do all the past papers, there's 10.

Thank you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys is this correct sequence - partly due to solar energy transpiration occurs - water evaporates form the cell walls of leaf mesophyl cells, before the water vapour leaves the leaf via the stomata down a WP gradient. This reduces the WP in the leaf mesophyl cells creating a WP gradient down which water moves out of the xylem and into the mesophyl cells by osmosis. Due to the cohesion between water molecules (as a result of hydrogen bonding) , this creates a tension in the (water in the) xylem as water is pulled as a continuous collum up the xylem. Adhesion between water and the xylem wall helps to maintain this continuous column of water and stop it breaking under the tension .
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do then again.Exam technique for AQA just as important as info.

:h: sure thing
Can someone pls give me two reasons why water uptake may not be the same as the rate of transpiration?
Original post by chemphys
hey guys is this correct sequence - partly due to solar energy transpiration occurs - water evaporates form the cell walls of leaf mesophyl cells, before the water vapour leaves the leaf via the stomata down a WP gradient. This reduces the WP in the leaf mesophyl cells creating a WP gradient down which water moves out of the xylem and into the mesophyl cells by osmosis. Due to the cohesion between water molecules (as a result of hydrogen bonding) , this creates a tension in the (water in the) xylem as water is pulled as a continuous collum up the xylem. Adhesion between water and the xylem wall helps to maintain this continuous column of water and stop it breaking under the tension .

Posted from TSR Mobile
It looks right,bit I thought tension is created when by transpiration.
Original post by magneto96
Can someone pls give me two reasons why water uptake may not be the same as the rate of transpiration?

Water is used photosynthesis and given out in respiration

I can't remember the other reasons whoops
Need to revise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyricalvibe
Species diversity is dependant on
-number of diff species
-population of each species

We want high species diversity because:
For a stable ecosystem. species are interdependent. Think food chains. Therefore low species diversity means extinction more likely and less food options if a species does become extinct,this therefore isn't a stable ecosystem

DEFORESTATION can lower species diversity
reduce variety of plant
Reduce variety of food sources
Reduce habitats
Lower animal species diversity

That's the bare minimum to know.
When considering something's effect on species diversity usually mention
-habitats
-food sources
-plant species variety
-Animal species diversity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, is that all we need to know for it?
Biology 2.jpg
Original post by clovers
can anyone explain how to do 5)a)iii) on the june 2012 paper:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/aqa-biol2-qp-jun12.pdf

goodluck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Water is used to support the plant.
Water is produced during respiration.
Water is used for photosynthesis.

water used for phostosynthesis
water used by plant for support

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the experiment to work,we also have to assume that all water taken up is transpired, which isn't true.
Posted from TSR Mobile

What would be some economic and ethical arguments for maintaining biodiversity?

Water is used in photosynthesis
Water is produced in respiration
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What would be some economic and ethical arguments for maintaining biodiversity?

Ethical argument:
Prevent extinction
loss of populations
reduction in populations
loss of habitats
save organisms for future generations

Economic:
medical / pharmaceutical uses;
commercial products
tourism;
agriculture;
saving local forest communities;
Original post by turtle294
Ethical argument:
Prevent extinction
loss of populations
reduction in populations
loss of habitats
save organisms for future generations

Economic:
medical / pharmaceutical uses;
commercial products
tourism;
agriculture;
saving local forest communities;

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ty!
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
It looks right,bit I thought tension is created when by transpiration.

He has described transpiration..? And thanks for previous reply!
What could a 6 marker on meosis be like? Maybe like how it causes genetic variation ??
Original post by chemphys

That is correct in my eyes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending