The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology Unit 2 - 1 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Could someone outline meiosis? Only the bits we need to know?
I understand that nuclear division occurs twice to form 4 haploid cells which are genetically different, but im slightly confused as to when chromatids are formed and when chromosomes are formed, and during which stage.
Thank you in advance :smile:
Gooooddd luck everyone!!! I will probably be on here from 6:30am to 11 am so do keep positing if you are :smile:
Original post by Badman1231
this is my third go at this exam Im 19. dont know what im doing with my life

Awwww you made me chuckle
Guys what marks have you been getting in past papers and what are you aiming for? I have already asked this once but this thread is moving so fast :tongue: I keep getting low A's and I need a high B in this exam as it's a resit and it will take some pressure off for unit 4 and 5. I don't know if this is achievable because I'm not hitting the 80-90% mark, my highest percentage has been 76% so far. What do you guys think please :redface:
Original post by Tplox
u dont need to go through unit 1 lol

unit 1 is the foundation unit with the basic concepts and processes that you need to apply to all the units that come after it, e.g. tertiary structures etc of proteins are mentioned a lot and osmosis and the heart ventricles in the arterioles questions

plus i need it for unit 5 anyway, cos of the synoptic essays particularly you have to use content from all units to write it, so it would benefit me a lot
Original post by jessiebon
Guys what marks have you been getting in past papers and what are you aiming for? I have already asked this once but this thread is moving so fast :tongue: I keep getting low A's and I need a high B in this exam as it's a resit and it will take some pressure off for unit 4 and 5. I don't know if this is achievable because I'm not hitting the 80-90% mark, my highest percentage has been 76% so far. What do you guys think please :redface:

I hate biology now its soooo boring compared to chemistry but ive been getting B's
Original post by shakaykay
aw :frown: good luck to you! what are you hoping to do study after sixth form? i honestly think i'll be resitting next year - is it stressful doing so?

Thanks. It depends how organized you are if you dont need people to push you to work then you will be fine. May advise would be to get a tutor, Ive learned more in 10 sessions with my tutor then 2 years in biology class
Original post by SebastianCobain
oh wait i'm reading the wrong year mark scheme apologies

phew narrowly avoided a myocardial infarction

hahha cheeky unit one reference there :biggrin:

I've done 3 past papers and got A,B,A, in that last one i was 7 marks into an A, for some reason i feel like i'm not going to get that in the real exam
i'm resitting too so i know what you mean, but i think doing unit 4 and 5 has given us more experience which is why it seems likely we're going to better second time round, here's hoping
Original post by Tplox
same as me haha
what a waste of a gap year haha

hahaha thought i was the only one!

im literally focusing all my attention on BIOL4 question 7 ... that DAMN question 7 ! every god damn year i get like 1/15
Reply 1191
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
unit 1 is the foundation unit with the basic concepts and processes that you need to apply to all the units that come after it, e.g. tertiary structures etc of proteins are mentioned a lot and osmosis and the heart ventricles in the arterioles questions

plus i need it for unit 5 anyway, cos of the synoptic essays particularly you have to use content from all units to write it, so it would benefit me a lot

fck that essay aha, im retaking unit2, u just need to know tertiary structure alters, osmosis is high to low ..but meh i know what your saying
ive given up on that essay, ace the paper and u can still get an a without the essay xD thats the plan :s
Original post by Lawliettt
Wtf is the difference between the endothelium and endodermis?

Ok everyone's given you slightly wrong definitions so here you go:

Endothelium: the inner lining of blood vessels, intestines, etc.
Epithelium: The outer layer of cells which are the first to receive substances during exchange, e.g. Cells outside intestines
Endodermis: A layer of cells between the xylem and the root cells, just after the cells with casparian strips.

Hope that helped! :smile:
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
I've done 3 past papers and got A,B,A, in that last one i was 7 marks into an A, for some reason i feel like i'm not going to get that in the real exam
i'm resitting too so i know what you mean, but i think doing unit 4 and 5 has given us more experience which is why it seems likely we're going to better second time round, here's hoping

So you are saying that after doing second year of biology which is A2, then unit 1 or 2 becomes easier?
Reply 1194
Original post by Badman1231
hahaha thought i was the only one!

im retaking unit 4 and 5 as well...
unit 5 doesnt even compare to unit 2 haha....
Original post by Tplox
fck that essay aha, im retaking unit2, u just need to know tertiary structure alters, osmosis is high to low ..but meh i know what your saying
ive given up on that essay, ace the paper and u can still get an a without the essay xD thats the plan :s

ace biol5 r u mad?!
relying on that essay to bulk UP my mark it's a free for all battle you can write about literally anything with the broad titles :biggrin:
Original post by 28Ikky
I hate biology now its soooo boring compared to chemistry but ive been getting B's

So do you think you will get a B in the real exam?
I feel like I'm not ready for tomorrow 😳😩
Reply 1198
can someone post a diagram to this q please

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...2-QP-JUN13.PDF

1 (b) (ii)
Original post by Emad1993
So you are saying that after doing second year of biology which is A2, then unit 1 or 2 becomes easier?

i'm fast tracking biology and i can definitely say the whole of AS is a doddle when it comes to what you learn in A2, the underlying processes just become like second nature so you know exactly what the mark schemes are looking for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending