The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology Unit 2 - 1 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

i am stressing out. can anyone prove that this is infact aqa website pack questions http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/pack.html coz like the PP are aqa but not sure if the pack questions are?
Original post by benjenstark
Do yous think there'll be a lot of species diversity calculations on today? I always manage to get the wrong answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate them, one mistake and you almost lose all the marks,and they waste time too.Just make sure you get the correct denominator, thats 1 mark,and other one is for the correct answer to 1 decimal point.
Original post by edward090
i am stressing out. can anyone prove that this is infact aqa website pack questions http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/pack.html coz like the PP are aqa but not sure if the pack questions are?

Yes they are :smile:
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
do we need to know this? (buccal cavity/operculum) stuff

Not really, but in terms of fish you will need to learn:
Gill lamellae provide a large surface area for the gills
Short diffusion pathway
The countercurrent principle: The flow of water over the gill lamellae and the flow of blood within them are in opposite directions which maintains a diffusion gradient. For example, blood with little or no oxygen passes water that's had most of it's oxygen removed. Therefore, oxygen moves from the water to the blood down a concentration gradient.
Original post by Oiseaux
Gas exchange (diffusion) occurs through the stomata which is opened and closed via guard cells
There are air spaces next to mesophyll cells which the air spaces lose water to (evaporation)
The mesophyll cells have a low WP so water enters them via osmosis
WP gradient is maintained pushing water out of the xylem across the leaf mesophyll and into the atmosphere
Wind temperature and humidity affect the rate of water loss

I can only think of these 5 points but maybe one of the points could be worth two marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For your first point,you could say gases diffuse into the stomata down the diffusion gradient.
Original post by Imtheish
What's the difference between horizontal and vertical transmission

Vertical: binary fission. Involves all the DNA in a cell being replicated. When the cell divides, each daughter cell receives resistant plasmids.
Horizontal: involves conjugation. Bacteria passes plasmids to other surrounding bacteria via a conjugation tube.
Original post by TheFinalExamDay
Short diffusion pathway
The countercurrent principle: The flow of water over the gill lamellae and the flow of blood within them are in opposite directions which maintains a diffusion gradient. For example, blood with little or no oxygen passes water that's had most of it's oxygen removed. Therefore, oxygen moves from the water to the blood down a concentration gradient.

thankyou :smile:
Reply 1587
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

The water then has to go through the cell membrane via the symplast pathway , so this allows the cell to control the movement of substances like water.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Bruno26
Yes they are :smile:

pls can u tell me how? coz it i cant see where it says it :frown:
Short diffusion pathway

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you also have to say the countercurrent system creates a steep concentration gradient which is maintained along the gills.

horizontal gene transmission occurs between two bacteria of different species = by process of conjugation where plasmid dna is replicated and passed through the pilus to the other dna

Vertical gene transmission = between same species when a bacteria divides to give a genetically identical bacteria

Horizontal transmission is the transfer of genetic info between different species via conjugation tubes.Vertical transmission is transfer of genetic info between generations via cell replication.
At least that's what I've been taught :smile:
Original post by benjenstark
Ikr! Might just leave it out and go back to it if I have any time at the end :P

I actually understand it now so I'll just do it as I come to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
do we need to know this? (buccal cavity/operculum) stuff

yes im pretty sure its come up in past papers
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you also have to say the countercurrent system creates a steep concentration gradient which is maintained along the gills.

Sure, it really depends on how many marks they are asking for. I really hope it's not a 6 marker about gas exchange in fish!
Original post by J.K
Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome :smile:.
Sure, it really depends on how many marks they are asking for. I really hope it's not a 6 marker about gas exchange in fish!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't mind.Prefer that to insects or leaves.
someone explain the circulatory system of a mammal? and bacteria. many thanks
Reply 1598
Original post by edward090

I used to do those but some of the questions aren't with the AQA spec. Try VBiology topic-specific packs, they are all definitely AQA past paper questions. :biggrin:
movement of internal medium in fish (the blood through the capillaries) and movement of the external medium (water passing through lamellae) creates a countercurrent flow system, which results in a steep concentration gradient where water with higher oxygen content meets blood with lower oxygen content = allow for efficient exchange of gasses (more rapid etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending