The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask you a question? Do you do cyclic hydrocarbons,because the only way I got an isomer for part iii was drawing it cyclic.
And show me the data table your given.

Here is the table that is on the back of the periodic table we are given in the exam
Original post by future doctor x
Here is the table that is on the back of the periodic table we are given in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ty! In ocr,we don't get the carbon carbon double bond value .Now I see that,I can answer part i, but others have done it so no point now.
Ty for the pic though!
Original post by Kadak

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did the c=o come from?

Look at the attachment C=O is the functional group of an aldehyde and a ketone
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ty! In ocr,we don't get the carbon carbon double bond value .Now I see that,I can answer part i, but others have done it so no point now.
Ty for the pic though!

Oh okay u do Ocr bt isnt this thread for aqa students ? And it must be different mustn't it ?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the attachment C=O is the functional group of an aldehyde and a ketone
Yeah,I just remebered.Thanks for the pic.
Oh okay u do Ocr bt isnt this thread for aqa students ? And it must be different mustn't it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Have the AQA book.Nothing wrong with helping others across exam boards.There isn't much differences, but for wavenumber and bonds you guys get wayy more than we do
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I Have the AQA book.Nothing wrong with helping others across exam boards.There isn't much differences, but for wavenumber and bonds you guys get wayy more than we do

Slight differences with the wave numbers. N.m.r. chemical shift data is widely different across exam boards, so I would be careful in using the OCR data sheet with AQA questions.
Original post by Kadak

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey i'm so sorry I went to eat :colondollar:

But yes we are given values for the c=o bond
Original post by Protoxylic
Slight differences with the wave numbers. N.m.r. chemical shift data is widely different across exam boards, so I would be careful in using the OCR data sheet with AQA questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are there different values.Surely science has a standardised set of values all chemists use?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are there different values.Surely science has a standardised set of values all chemists use?

Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 17.31.11.pngThis is what we're given, I'm still unsure :frown:
Original post by kandykissesxox
Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 17.31.11.pngThis is what we're given, I'm still unsure :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nvm the c=o,but it's spectrum 2 as only that one has the peak around 1620-1680.If you look closely at spectrum 1, the peak isn't there for the c=c double bond.
Yo can anyone explain aldehydes and ketones to me, like where the O-H goes and double bond goes, Im struggling a lot...
Any more info you could give around around this topic I'd be grateful cheers :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nvm the c=o,but it's spectrum 2 as only that one has the peak around 1620-1680.If you look closely at spectrum 1, the peak isn't there for the c=c double bond.

ah, i see thank you :smile:
Original post by kandykissesxox
ah, i see thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome 😃.
Reply 434
Original post by Sexybadman
Yo can anyone explain aldehydes and ketones to me, like where the O-H goes and double bond goes, Im struggling a lot...
Any more info you could give around around this topic I'd be grateful cheers :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yo! There's isn't a C-O bond in either aldehydes or ketones but there is a C=O present. This carbonyl group has to be in the middle (not ends) to make a ketone but if it is on the end then it's a aldehyde.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aldehydes have The general form RCHO,with there always being a C=O.Any aldehyde will have al at the end e.g ethanal .There is a dirty trick to remember that if you can see it.
Ketones have the general formula R2CO,but usually it's three Carbon atoms bonded together (single) with the middle carbon having a double bond with a oxygen. Any ketone has anone as it's end e.g. Propanone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get aldehydes when oxidise a primary alcohol under distillation with [O].
You get a aldehyde when you oxidise a secondary alcohol under reflux with [O].
For both usually acidified k2CR207 is used,although it's really CR207 with a 2 - charge,the charge coming from any element in front of CR207.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

You get aldehydes when oxidise a primary alcohol under distillation with [O].
You get a aldehyde when you oxidise a secondary alcohol under reflux with [O].
For both usually k2CR207 is used,although it's really CR207 with a 2 - charge,the charge coming from any element in front of CR207.

*** Acidified K2Cr2O7. It has to be acidified for the oxidation to take place.
Question 6 b june 2013 The questions was in bright sunlight chlorine reacts with water to form oxygen as one of the products. Write an equation for this reaction. :angry: I thought Cl2 reactions with water will produce HCLO

Spoiler

Reply 439
It reacts differently when bubbled through water in bright sunlight and without bright light, so there's 2 different equations to learn unfortunately :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending