The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine dilemma...

//
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some objective opinions on this matter because I'm way to deep into this to have much perspective and none of my friends/family know about GEM.

My profile:

Spoiler

My problem:

Spoiler

I loved physio and could imagine myself in that role but if I don't apply for GEM I feel as though I'm throwing away an opportunity to do something I really want and at my age this feels like the final decision in terms of what career path I take. I really can't envisage doing GEM as a third degree (if GEM still exists by then). So after agonizing over this for months this is how I've rationalized the situation:

PLAN A:

Try to get more work exp within the next 3 months
Do a lot of GAMSAT revision
Apply for GEM this September
Outcome 1: Offer
Outcome 2 (more likely): 4 Rejections

PLAN B:

Apply to Physio this September for 2016 entry
Outcome 1: Offer, take the offer and pursue a career as a Physio OR defer the offer (if poss?) until 2017. Spend the time from offer to September 2016 getting more work experience/voluntary work and revising for GAMSAT. If I feel I have a competitive application then I'll apply in Sept 2016 to GEM. Receive offer/rejection by April 2017.
Outcome 1a: GEM offer - accept. Decline Physio place.
Outcome 1b: GEM rejection - start Physio degree in 2017 OR have a long hard think about the trajectory of my life.

One of my main concerns is that I'm getting older and I'm not in a position to be applying to GEM for years on end whilst working in low paid care work (if I manage to get it!) not because I don't want to but because I literally can't afford to live. But then I think, ''what is a couple of years NOW compared to the rest of my life?'' and then I think maybe I could handle it somehow.

Basically, my odds for Physio are higher and I'd be qualified by 29 with a career ahead of me. But with GEM, I'm living in limbo with no career and no certainty. I could apply for 2017 and still get rejected and if that's the case, I'd be 28/29 by the time I get into Med school (if I'm lucky) and qualified by 34/35. There are days when I can rationalize that and days where I just think I'm crazy for even considering it and making life difficult for myself and should just let go of Med and do Physio.

Thoughts/opinions? I've thought so much about this that I don't think I have perspective anymore and need some objective opinions.

Thanks to anyone who reads through this!!

You can't hold onto a deferred offer while starting up a new UCAS application cycle, so that plan is out of the window. I'd suggest maybe applying for Physio this time round then declining the offer(s) in mid-2016 to apply for GEM if your efforts to get experience have been successful and GEM still looks like an option.
Reply 2
If you're going to study full time from now until the GAMSAT, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get a good score. It's a test of reasoning ability as much as it is knowledge.

Volunteer one morning a week with some old folks at a care home/on the wards, and email some consultant's secretaries to get a few days shadowing in. Work exp really requires proactivity; send emails to everyone, most of the time even if they can't help they will redirect you to somebody who can.

NHS jobs website for HCA jobs. I understand that they can be difficult to find outside of London. I'm in the process of applying now for posts in London and there seem to be loads though.

Overall, if you don't feel like you'll be able to get enough work exp and GAMSAT revision done than what Ronove proposes is sensible. Only you will know if you'll be able to risk declining the physio offers down to apply to GEM though. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe I'm underestimating myself. I'm just aware that other people will have been studying for the GAMSAT for much longer and will feel more prepared. But mostly, I'm aware that other applicants will have had a lot more experience than myself. I feel like I'm being unrealistic even if I score well and get a ton of work exp between now and Sept because I will be up against people who are qualified AHPs or have been working in the NHS as HCAs for a long time as well as having voluntary work and placements.

I'll apply to Physio, carry on getting work exp/studying and see what happens. If I get an offer I'll have a lot to think about but if not then I'll be much more prepared and confident to apply for GEM next year.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

If you want to study medicine, don't put it off. It often takes more than one application to get in, so why waste a year that you could apply in? You could always put physiotherapy down as your fifth choice, or see if any spaces come up in clearing if you're unsuccessful.

Stop over comparing yourself to others, you don't really know what people have or haven't been doing and its only going to hinder your own chances if you let it dictate when you apply. Work your butt off for GAMSAT (3 months is still a long time!) and hope for a great score.
In terms of work experience quantity really isn't as important as quality and you're ability to reflect on why you want to do medicine, the role of the doctor etc. There will be plenty of people like you, who've realised later on that they want to do medicine, who don't have tonnes of work experience etc.
The thing with Physio is that I won't get any financial help apart from my tuition fee costs so there are only 3 unis that I can apply to in order to stay at home and commute, so in terms of going through clearing for Physio - it would be a huge gamble. It's really a case of GEM or Physio and I need to decide.

I'll try to stop comparing myself to everyone else - I think that's mostly what's holding me back. Do you think that if I put my mind towards a GEM application for this September that it's a bad idea to work full time for the next three months? I might just concentrate solely on work exp/GAMSAT revision and my PS and leave work for a while.

Thanks for your encouraging words - I might re-open my Chem book today.

It really depends on how well you study and what the job would be. I would say a lot of people who take the GAMSAT fit studying in around jobs/families/life etc so I don't think its impossible. But it depends how you learn and how dedicated you can be to the revision.

Look at it another way. Physio and GEM are both going to be expensive. Apply for GEM this year, even just as a test run, and spend the time gaining experience (and working out which one you want to do) and saving money. Who knows, you may get in first time. If not, you've gained experience of the GAMSAT and GEM application process, and plenty of money to go towards whatever you end up studying (it might mean you would have a wider scope of places you could apply to for physio if you decide thats what you want). And like I said, you can always apply to physio as your fifth choice (contact the university you apply to and ask if you can supply a 2nd physio orientated personal statement) and if you feel like you don't want to waste any more time (you're still young though) then you can still go for physio.
Thanks so much. This post has given me a lot of clarity. Ultimately, I don't think I could cope with the idea of working in Physio around doctors knowing that I didn't at least try to pursue GEM. As a plan B I'm fine with it but not if I haven't tried for GEM. If I try and fail then I can live with myself and if I succeed then great. So like you say, it's best to increase my chances and apply this September. I just need to be focused, resilient and patient.

Thanks again :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! If you need any more help with the application process (except GAMSAT, which I never sat) gimme a shout :h:
Original post by ForestCat
Good luck! If you need any more help with the application process (except GAMSAT, which I never sat) gimme a shout :h:

Thanks very much! :smile:
The thing with Physio is that I won't get any financial help apart from my tuition fee costs so there are only 3 unis that I can apply to in order to stay at home and commute, so in terms of going through clearing for Physio - it would be a huge gamble. It's really a case of GEM or Physio and I need to decide.

I'll try to stop comparing myself to everyone else - I think that's mostly what's holding me back. Do you think that if I put my mind towards a GEM application for this September that it's a bad idea to work full time for the next three months? I might just concentrate solely on work exp/GAMSAT revision and my PS and leave work for a while.

Thanks for your encouraging words - I might re-open my Chem book today.

Physio is nhs bursary eligible so you may get at least the 1000 non means tested grant from them and due to your age you could be eligible as an independent student for a means tested grant too. ( presuming you ve been a uk resident long enough that is, the fact you ve already got a degree wont effect nhs funding). So theres the possibilty you ll get more finance than you think if you did physio.
Hey! I'm a second year student physio now, physio is really great and a super good back up if you were gunna have one... But I'm on this thread because im also hoping to get onto a grad medicine course after I qualify, working on wards and not being a doctor is making me super bitter haha
So I would say go for what you really want because your dream of being a medic won't just go away once you qualify as a physio, as I'm finding out now :/
OP i'm in pretty much the same boat.

I'm looking at 2016 entry for Warwick and Newcastle as I don't think I can get the knowledge up for the GAMSAT in time.

My plan is go for Newcastle / Warwick this time round, and then also enrol in a distance A level Chem course which would then open up Southampton as an option for 2017 and would also help my learning for the GAMSAT which would then open up a few other options as well.
Hi,

I did well enough in the GAMSAT (64) to get an interview at Nottingham without any semblance of a science background. I also only crammed for a week or so, a lot of the knowledge there really relies on a logical mind and not specific bits of information. Also, have you considered Kings? At least for my admissions cycle, it required a non-science degree. I'd advise working your socks off to do well in the UKCAT as it's easier for people like us to excel in it. Warwick have a lot of places (it's where I got my offer) and the cutoff was only 2800 this year.

Good luck!
This seems like the most sensible way to go about it. I feel nervous just thinking about turning down any possible Physio offers, which is going to leave me in a really difficult situation around this time next year if I get an offer.

Thanks very much for your input :smile:.

Keep trying - I turned 27 last year. I was well aware of timing and my age but from experience I know im not likely to be the eldest on the course. So keep going and good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending