why is it wrong to rewrite that as 1+x
Original post by creativebuzz
When integrating x/x+1

Because they are not the same?
When integrating x/x+1

What you have written, xx+1\frac{x}{x}+1 is equal to 2.

What you probably meant, xx+1=x+11x+1=11x+1\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{x+1-1}{x+1}=1-\frac{1}{x+1}.

You can easily check that ab+cab+ac\frac{a}{b+c} \ne \frac{a}{b}+\frac{a}{c}.
When integrating x/x+1

Just try putting in a value for x, if x=1, x/(x+1)=1/2 but 1+x=2 !!
When integrating x/x+1

If you mean splitting it up as x/x + x/1
You can't separate the denominator like that, x is divided by the whole thing, it would be different if it was for the numerator
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
What you have written, xx+1\frac{x}{x}+1 is equal to 2.

What you probably meant, xx+1=x+11x+1=11x+1\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{x+1-1}{x+1}=1-\frac{1}{x+1}.

You can easily check that ab+cab+ac\frac{a}{b+c} \ne \frac{a}{b}+\frac{a}{c}.

How did you get this

xx+1=x+11x+1=11x+1\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{x+1-1}{x+1}=1-\frac{1}{x+1}.
How did you get this

xx+1=x+11x+1=11x+1\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{x+1-1}{x+1}=1-\frac{1}{x+1}.

That is done by intuition and very clever thinking, a standard trick that people doing STEP for example become familiar with. Alternatively, you could just use the substitution:

u=1+xu=1+x

Which works as-well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jai Sandhu
That is done my intuition and very clever thinking, a standard trick that people doing STEP for example become familiar with. Alternatively, you could just use the substitution:

u=1+xu=1+x

Which works as-well.

Could you explain how you did that division though? :smile: Because the mark scheme does the same thing
Could you explain how you did that division though? :smile: Because the mark scheme does the same thing

He has added 0 in a fancy way.

Take his fraction:

xx+1[br][br]11=0[br][br]therefore:x+11x+1=xx+1[br][br]\dfrac{x}{x+1}[br][br]1-1=0[br][br]therefore: \dfrac{x+1-1}{x+1} = \dfrac{x}{x+1}[br][br]

we can split the numerator, NOT the denominator

[br][br]x+11x+1=x+1x+11x+1=11x+1[br][br]11x+1 dx=xlnx+1+c[br][br][br][br]\dfrac{x+1-1}{x+1} = \dfrac{x+1}{x+1} - \dfrac{1}{x+1} = 1 - \dfrac{1}{x+1}[br][br]\int 1 - \dfrac{1}{x+1}\ dx = x - ln|x+1| + c[br][br]
(edited 8 years ago)
He has added 0 in a fancy way.

Take his fraction:

xx+1[br][br]11=0[br][br]therefore:x+11x+1=xx+1[br][br]\dfrac{x}{x+1}[br][br]1-1=0[br][br]therefore: \dfrac{x+1-1}{x+1} = \dfrac{x}{x+1}[br][br]

we can split the numerator, NOT the denominator

[br][br]x+11x+1=x+1x+11x+1=11x+1[br][br]11x+1 dx=xlnx+1+c[br][br][br][br]\dfrac{x+1-1}{x+1} = \dfrac{x+1}{x+1} - \dfrac{1}{x+1} = 1 - \dfrac{1}{x+1}[br][br]\int 1 - \dfrac{1}{x+1}\ dx = x - ln|x+1| + c[br][br]

That made perfect sense, thank you so much! You explained it really well!

Just going a tad bit of topic but I'm also looking to prepare for STEP and do you know where I can pick up on "tricks/techniques" such as that?

Just going a tad bit of topic but I'm also looking to prepare for STEP and do you know where I can pick up on "tricks/techniques" such as that?

Only place you pick up tips and tricks is just doing paper, after paper, after paper, after paper I am afraid.

However, if you are just getting started on STEP, here is a very useful document written by the chief examiner.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/step/advpcm.pdf

There is also another booklet called advanced problems in mathematics, do not touch that book until you are confident in answering questions of this linked books difficulty. I would recommend in this order, assuming you re doing all 3 STEP papers, you can cut off this chain wherever it applies to you.

Advanced Problems in Core Mathematics -> STEP 1 Papers -> Advanced Problems in Mathematics/STEP 2 Papers -> STEP 3 Papers.
Reply 11

I use that trick quite often as a shortcut for partial fraction decomposition.

xx+1A+Bx+1\displaystyle \frac{x}{x+1} \equiv A + \frac{B}{x+1}

x=A(x+1)+B\displaystyle x = A(x+1) + B

Letting x=1\displaystyle x=-1 gives us B=1\displaystyle B = -1.

Letting x=0\displaystyle x=0 gives us 0=A1    A=1\displaystyle 0 = A - 1 \iff A = 1.

So, xx+111x+1\displaystyle \frac{x}{x+1} \equiv 1 - \frac{1}{x+1}
Only place you pick up tips and tricks is just doing paper, after paper, after paper, after paper I am afraid.

However, if you are just getting started on STEP, here is a very useful document written by the chief examiner.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/step/advpcm.pdf

There is also another booklet called advanced problems in mathematics, do not touch that book until you are confident in answering questions of this linked books difficulty. I would recommend in this order, assuming you re doing all 3 STEP papers, you can cut off this chain wherever it applies to you.

Advanced Problems in Core Mathematics -> STEP 1 Papers -> Advanced Problems in Mathematics/STEP 2 Papers -> STEP 3 Papers.

Ah yes, I've come across that pdf by Stephen Siklos - I even saw him at Cambridge!

But when you began preparing for STEP, how long after (roughly) did you start to think "yeah I'm starting to get the hang of this"?
Ah yes, I've come across that pdf by Stephen Siklos - I even saw him at Cambridge!

But when you began preparing for STEP, how long after (roughly) did you start to think "yeah I'm starting to get the hang of this"?

1 month ago :tongue:, it took me a really long time.
1 month ago :tongue:, it took me a really long time.

Don't blame you! How long have you been preparing then?
Don't blame you! How long have you been preparing then?

Since about October/November.

Quick Reply

Latest