The Student Room Group

C3 OCR (Not MEI) - Friday 12th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SilentPotato
What would be the answer to part ii) on this question?

Screenshot_1.png
http://i.imgur.com/gIF3137.png

It's a many to one function so it can't have an inverse? Is that right? If so what happens if you restrict the domain to x>1.5? Surely then it has an inverse, but I can't work out what it would be.

Well, for starters its impossible to get x on its own, but I don't really know what this means. Surely the answer is exactly what you said? Its only a function if it has one output for an input?
Reply 21
Tricky core 3 trig question:

http://gyazo.com/6bb77b08f7dd1f6f62b3bd9c59652b72

I could do 9(i) and 9(ii) but I could not do 9(iii). If someone could kindly help me out, that would be dandy. Paper is from Jan 06 if anyone is interested. (pls halp)
Original post by jacobe
Tricky core 3 trig question:

http://gyazo.com/6bb77b08f7dd1f6f62b3bd9c59652b72

I could do 9(i) and 9(ii) but I could not do 9(iii). If someone could kindly help me out, that would be dandy. Paper is from Jan 06 if anyone is interested. (pls halp)

You can use the part at the top: Sin6theta would be = 3sin2theta-4sin2theta^3
Use this.

So at the moment you have (3sin6beta)/sin2beta=4

Sub in the sin6beta thing.

So you will have 3(3sin2beta-4sintbeta^3)/sin2beta=4

Take out a factor of sin2beta

3sin2beta(3-4sin^2beta)/sin2beta=4

Cancel the sin2beta
Giving you when expanded 9-12sin^2beta=4
12sin^2beta=5

And do the normal stuff from then. Would have sent a pic but phone is dead.
Original post by SilentPotato
What would be the answer to part ii) on this question?

Screenshot_1.png
http://i.imgur.com/gIF3137.png

It's a many to one function so it can't have an inverse? Is that right? If so what happens if you restrict the domain to x>1.5? Surely then it has an inverse, but I can't work out what it would be.

Well the function you have is a quadratic and as the domain isn't restricted it is a many to once function. Only those with a one to one function have inverses.
It would have an inverse if you were to restrict the domain, but the question doesn't ask you to work that out.

:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Super199
Use this.

Cancel the sin2beta
12sin^2beta=5

How is sin6theta=3sin2theta-4sin2theta^3?

Surely it would be sin3theta? Because sin6theta=sin(3theta+3theta) so 3theta not 2theta surely?
Reply 25
Original post by Super199
Use this.

Cancel the sin2beta
12sin^2beta=5

Actually don't worry, I am dumb xD
Original post by jacobe
Actually don't worry, I am dumb xD

It's cool haha.
I could use some tips. I feel like I've gotten arrogant, a couple of months ago I could blitz any of the past papers, but I've put so much focus on FP2 that I fear that I might've started to forget C3&4, despite the fact that I genuinely believe that they are easy. What should I do?
Reply 28
Original post by BecauseFP
I could use some tips. I feel like I've gotten arrogant, a couple of months ago I could blitz any of the past papers, but I've put so much focus on FP2 that I fear that I might've started to forget C3&4, despite the fact that I genuinely believe that they are easy. What should I do?

Same, except I've put a lot of focus of FP3 as well as FP2. (Actually, every module apart from C4 and C3 because especially compared to Further Pure, they are easy).
I'm just planning to go over lots of papers.

I'd say have a scan over:
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20C3%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf (C3)
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20C4%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf (C4)
(especially if you get stuck in a paper and forget something. They're much more concise than the textbooks).

The stuff I've made mistakes on are forgetting things like the integral of f'(x)/f(x) is ln(f(x)).
Also, until I did C4 June 2014, I thought that whenever they wanted you to do integration by part they'd say. But they didn't say it was parts in that question, so I sat there for a while until I saw the mark scheme. So just rule out every possibility one by one (eg. trig identities? substitution? reverse chain rule?).

Binomial expansion is easy, just make sure you make the bracket start with 1. (Apparently loads of people forget this.)

But just go through as many papers as you can and you'll be fine (and if you can do FP2, you can do C3/C4 :smile: ) That's definitely the best thing to do. And maybe see if you can find some of the weirder end questions. Some of those can be quite tricky. And I'm sure you'll find you can still blitz through them - even if the first few papers you have to look at those revision sheets to rejog your memory.
Original post by holly30
Same, except I've put a lot of focus of FP3 as well as FP2. (Actually, every module apart from C4 and C3 because especially compared to Further Pure, they are easy).
I'm just planning to go over lots of papers.

It looks like we both think exactly the same.

I'd say have a scan over:
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20C3%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf (C3)
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20C4%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf (C4)
(especially if you get stuck in a paper and forget something. They're much more concise than the textbooks).

I will.

The stuff I've made mistakes on are forgetting things like the integral of f'(x)/f(x) is ln(f(x)).

I managed to forget that on a FP2 paper recently, hopefully I've learned never to do that again.

Binomial expansion is easy, just make sure you make the bracket start with 1. (Apparently loads of people forget this.)

I'd like to agree, but I often hesitate when I see stuff like (x^2 - x + 2)^(-1) and I sometimes forget what all the inverse graphs looks like. Hopefully I've not forgot vectors either, otherwise I think everything else is FP2 on easy mode.
Reply 30
It looks like we both think exactly the same.

I will.

I managed to forget that on a FP2 paper recently, hopefully I've learned never to do that again.

I'd like to agree, but I often hesitate when I see stuff like (x^2 - x + 2)^(-1) and I sometimes forget what all the inverse graphs looks like. Hopefully I've not forgot vectors either, otherwise I think everything else is FP2 on easy mode.

I don't think I've seen one like that before. But just make it 1 :smile: (And don't forget the power when you pull something out to make it equal to one ^^)

Ah, I can't forget vectors because FP3 papers have tons of vectors work (and they only give maybe 1 mark for stuff they'd give a good few marks for in C4.)
Someone suggest to me some hard core 3 and 4 papers, I've done them all before but I could use the practice.
Unbelievable...I'm sitting in seat C3 of the exam hall for my C3 exam.
Unbelievable...I'm sitting in seat C3 of the exam hall for my C3 exam.

Ahhah sign of good luck maybe😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
core 3.png
Out of interests, how did people do part ii? Once you've seen the answer, it's easy, but prior to that I can't see anything better than trial and error.

EDIT Oh wow... nevermind, this is what I get for working on scrap paper, my graph was 1/2 pi in the wrong direction but even still this is a weird question.
(edited 8 years ago)
core 3.png
Out of interests, how did people do part ii? Once you've seen the answer, it's easy, but prior to that I can't see anything better than trial and error.

EDIT Oh wow... nevermind, this is what I get for working on scrap paper, my graph was 1/2 pi in the wrong direction but even still this is a weird question.

How do you do it? I couldn't figure it out :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are gonna try something different with this exam, it always happens near the end of the series. My guess it will be cosec graphs etc
Someone suggest to me some hard core 3 and 4 papers, I've done them all before but I could use the practice.

Core 4 June 2009 53/72 was an A.
Reply 38
What are these OCR Solomon papers. Never heard of them.

Why them. Why not usual OCR papers?
Original post by jamesbird18
They are gonna try something different with this exam, it always happens near the end of the series. My guess it will be cosec graphs etc

I agree with you there!
I'd say similar style to June 05 and the specimen paper.Bang out new Qs and traps we have never seen before :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending