The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government and Politics Unit 2 Exam 4th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got an essay plan with examples on to what extent does Parlient control executive power
Original post by xxvine
What is it true we will not be able to retake if we do badly because the syllabus is changing?

Yes we can re-take but you shouldn't be worried, you were talking about gov+ pol agessss ago!!!
Original post by xxvine
What is it true we will not be able to retake if we do badly because the syllabus is changing?

please don't tell me this is true...
learning the whole year again cannot be on the cards for me
Original post by LaurenceJ96
image.jpg

What possible question could this be used for?

parliamentary functions and their effectiveness in terms of representation
Original post by xxvine
What key things do we need to know about the EU?

only sovereignty i believe
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Conflict:

HRA - Judicial activism has led to an increase of litigation cases where individuals have used the HRA to appeal against infringement of their civil liberties based upon the Rule of Law and Natural Justice. Thus, judges cause the HRA as ammunition against the political institution. This 'right culture' has the potential to undermine parliamentary sovereignty and can threaten government policies and public projects. - Mohammed Jabar Ahmed, Belmarsh Case and the 3rd Runway and Heathrow.

Sentencing - The Home Office have interjected on sentencing issues, they feel there should be an introduction of legally binding minimum sentences - London Riots 2011. Chief Justice Lord Woolf feels that alternatives in such menial offences should be given instead. However, ultimately the Home Office prevailed and introduced guidelines under the Sentencing Council which judges are forced to abide by and follow when sentencing which may result in the 'miscarriage of justice'.

Legislation - Judges have complained that a number of legislative statues made by Parliament have encroached and infringed civil liberties and are contravening the HRA. Lord Hoffman who supports the casue of Amnesty International has complained that the Anti-Terror Act 2001 was intrusive. Lords Woolf and Bingham insisted that the Double Jeopardy Rule 2003 should be repealed as again a 'miscarriage of justice' may take place due to the rule of law being distorted after amendments were made to a second trial hearing. Politicians have said that judges and unelected and not accountable and therefore should not intervene on political issues - Abu Qatada extradition ruling.

No Conflict:

- HRA - HRA is not binding and therefore Parliament can repeal it and pass laws as they wish. It is merely a conventional and not enshrined, a 'declaration of incompatibility' must be made but this can be easily reverted by withdrawing from the ECHR. Parliament has ignored the ruling of the ECHR over Prisoner's Votes in 2005 and 2011, still insisting prisoners should be eliminated from the electoral system. The unelected and unaccountable nature of judges means that it can be said they do not reflect public opinion but Parliament does, therefore it is more democratic and legitimate that they should get the last say.

- Sovereignty - Parliament is sovereign (A.V Dicey's explanation in excellent, look it up). It can make or unmake any laws and grant and exercise any powers as no one can defy its legislation it is omnipotent and omnicompetent. Judges do not hold the ability to partake in 'pre-legislative reviews' and therefore are excluded from acting as an influence in the legislative process. If they feel a law is intrusive they can merely claim, Parliament can ultimately pass law as they rule supreme - DNA Retention and I.D Badges.

I hope this helps, it is a tricky question but 40 markers on the Judiciary tend to be on the same lines.

thanks so much!!!!!!!! do you know anything about

Over Freedom of Information cases where judges have upheld decisions of the Information Commissioner to publish informationrequested mainly by media against wishes of ministers (e.g. PrinceCharles’ communications with ministers, some cabinet papers,decision reversed by Attorney general).

from the 2014 summer exam question mark scheme about "To what extent is there conflict in the UK between judgesand government ministers?"
What would be an example for redress of grievance and also financial control (functions of parliament)
Is it likely that both PM power and Parliament will be in the 40 marker section?
I hope this paper is easy
Original post by leoltltiieee
please don't tell me this is true...
learning the whole year again cannot be on the cards for me

It's not true, there will a special paper for everyone from this year for us to retake next year.
Reply 390
Original post by xxvine
Thats a horrible question?

That's what I'm thinking...
Original post by simmy123
Anyone got an essay plan with examples on to what extent does Parlient control executive power

high extent-

scrutinisation through lords

representation through parties in opposition as well as lords

low extent-

accountability through question time is weak / prerogative powers are not checked

poor legitimation due to FPTP and majority in govt (2015- Cons 36% vote 51% seats) - weak opposition / elective dictatorship

poor representation as Commons is disproportionately representative of class, gender, and ethnicity / FPTP distorts political opinion representation

-hope this helped-
Original post by dfradkin
high extent-

scrutinisation through lords

representation through parties in opposition as well as lords

low extent-

accountability through question time is weak / prerogative powers are not checked

poor legitimation due to FPTP and majority in govt (2015- Cons 36% vote 51% seats) - weak opposition / elective dictatorship

poor representation as Commons is disproportionately representative of class, gender, and ethnicity / FPTP distorts political opinion representation

-hope this helped-

Is this PM or Parliament?
Reply 393
I've decided to just revise PM/Cabinet and Constitution.

How much of an idiot am I?
OKAAAAY...

I'm panicking about a possible question... What if a question comes up, just asking about the constitutional reform from Cameron and Clegg coalition?

Like "Assess the constitutional reforms made by the coalition government." What have they done except the Fixed Term Parliament Act? Because, all of the constitutional reforms post 1997 occurred in Blair and Brown.

HELPPP! :P

This could come up seeing at The Constitution will probably be the 40 Marker, AND, the coalition is now over, so...
Original post by Gee1214
It's not true, there will a special paper for everyone from this year for us to retake next year.

hallelujah
Original post by victoria1998
OKAAAAY...

I'm panicking about a possible question... What if a question comes up, just asking about the constitutional reform from Cameron and Clegg coalition?

Like "Assess the constitutional reforms made by the coalition government." What have they done except the Fixed Term Parliament Act? Because, all of the constitutional reforms post 1997 occurred in Blair and Brown.

HELPPP! :P

This could come up seeing at The Constitution will probably be the 40 Marker, AND, the coalition is now over, so...

You can talk about the failed Devolution (scottish independence ref) and the increased powers to the welsh assembly

The power to recall an MP was given the royal assent in March but it was extremely watered down

Their failed house of lords reform

The Backbench Business Committee

The failed attempt at electoral reform
Original post by dfradkin
-important:

function of legitimation - final decision-making body
provides balanced support and representation (socially and politically - Major) / cabinet dealignment may result in removal/resignation of PM (Thatcher over poll tax)

-unimportant:

spatial leadership / marginalization of cabinet / use of political advisors (Blair)
prerogative powers / foreign policy domination (Blair)

Thanks 😘
Reply 398
Original post by nta786
I've decided to just revise PM/Cabinet and Constitution.

How much of an idiot am I?

ummm perhaps not much if the questions come up separate however, maybe jsut speed revise another topic, better than nothing! Don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by bd17
Is it likely that both PM power and Parliament will be in the 40 marker section?

Hopefully, if that is the case then you could get away with knowing very little on either the judiciary or the constitution. I've been hearing though that it's more likely to be Parliament and the constitution

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending