The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government and Politics Unit 2 Exam 4th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm really confused- my teacher told me for the 5 marker questions you add part own knowledge and then things from the source. But in my revision book it says no own knowledge?
Original post by Bezaleel25
I relying on being able to waffle PM and the cabinet tbh

I can't even waffle tbh cos I'm so **** at it, can't wait to drop it, unit 1 was good ish but this year I think they've been nice..even AQA has been nice
Anyway I'm going to revise now 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 3mmz
How would you answer does gov dominate parliament?

Yes it does 4 points
-elective dictatorship
- whipping of commons committees
- weakness of lords (gov can enact parliament act)
-can't think of a 4th
No it doesn't 4 points
- parliament retains the powere to remove a Pm (Callaghan 79)
- select committees can be critical and effective of gov especially PAC + DSC

not sure on the other 2 without looking at my notes
Original post by Prina_R
What do you predict for the 25/40marker for parliament?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If Im honest I dont have a clue as I havent looked at Parliament at all yet but I hope that it comes on the 25marker and not the 40 cos Constitution seems idk, easier to get better marks on when it is in regards to pros and cons of codified and uncodified.
Original post by Prina_R
Is the fit for purpose pros and cons of in codified constitution?

And what would you say if government dominates parliament?? Would you say this:

YES:
-they can get a majority in the FPTP, frontbenchers start a majority of legislation, fused model means they dominate (Politically sovereign)
-Party system gives gov a significant dgree of power to limit opposition through whips, loyalty and PM Patronage,
HoL has little influence due to the 1949 parliaments act and 1911 parliaments act
- Collective responsibilty protects ministers (May and Home office), Select com's are not binding on government, PMQ's are scripted and more about points scoring rather than scrutiny

NO
-parliament is sovereign, parliament can get rid of the government of the day (callaghan),Backbenchers can rebel against legislation (HOL reform bill) (legally sovereign)
- Parliament has to pass all laws so gov doesn't dominate by wielding unchecked power + More activist and significant HOL who can delay, block, or ammend legislation (between 2012-13 lords defeated the government 48 times) (health and social care act spent 15 days in the committee stage of the lords)
-departmental select committes have a good record of bipartisanship and holding gov to account (Defence DSC critiscised gov's plans to hand defence encurement to a non UK based company) ( Public administration's committee criticized the way Laim Fox's resignation was handled) PMQ's and MQ's are also good ways of holding gov to account (Mike O'brien question over wanting to offer 'free healthcare to all athletes)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeahh that's it basically !

I just edited it a bit :smile:

then i got carried away sorry

But if it came up as a 40 marker, you're good to go
Reply 785
Original post by 24Uout
from september there is no more AS just Alevels meaning there wont be any final exams until the whole 2 years are done

Thats not true
I asked my teacher who is an examiner
the spec isnt changing until 2017.

Nice try
Original post by notsistermaria
I'm really confused- my teacher told me for the 5 marker questions you add part own knowledge and then things from the source. But in my revision book it says no own knowledge?

Nothing from your own knowledge, you pick out 3 points from the source and you explain 2
10 markers you pick out 2 points from the source and PEE and a 3rd point from your own knowledge
Yeahh that's it basically !

I just edited it a bit :smile:

then i got carried away sorry

But if it came up as a 40 marker, you're good to go

Thankyou!

For parliament, they could ask for and againest elected second chamber...could they ask for and againest appoint second chamber
What's the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 788
Original post by 24Uout
from september there is no more AS just Alevels meaning there wont be any final exams until the whole 2 years are done

Lol no. Asked my teacher said spec isnt changing until 2017.
Original post by Prina_R
Thankyou!

For parliament, they could ask for and againest elected second chamber...could they ask for and againest appoint second chamber
What's the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i don't think so tbh, isn't that much to say
Any predictions for PM 25/40marker, gonna cram the predictions like 30min before the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
i don't think so tbh, isn't that much to say

What's the difference between the two though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we need to know about devolution?
Original post by Prina_R
Any predictions for PM 25/40marker, gonna cram the predictions like 30min before the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not predicitions but the only questions they pretty much ever ask is how powerful is the PM so is he a president or not and how effective is cabinet
Can anyone quickly give me some points for and against why the "Constitutional reforms since 1997 havent gone far enough?" and "How constitutional reforms since 1997 have reduced UK governments power?" and finally "How they have made UK more democratic?". If someone can do that thatll be absolutely great as Ive tried+looked in the mark scheme but no joy. Examples with the points would be even better if possible! Thanks very much!
Original post by Prina_R
What's the difference between the two though?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually to be fair, when you're making your against points for elected chamber those are your for points for appointed, so i guess if it did you just flip your argument around

Original post by LaurenceJ96
Do we need to know about devolution?

YES YES YES very much so
Original post by Harvey111
Yeah I did aha, I honestly cant - ive still got parliament to do and havent even finished constitution, got notes written down but need to remember them now and hope that the predictions are correct in regards to what ll come up for parliament and constitution providing they come up separately.

What are your predictions?
Original post by Harvey111
Can anyone quickly give me some points for and against why the "Constitutional reforms since 1997 havent gone far enough?" and "How constitutional reforms since 1997 have reduced UK governments power?" and finally "How they have made UK more democratic?". If someone can do that thatll be absolutely great as Ive tried+looked in the mark scheme but no joy. Examples with the points would be even better if possible! Thanks very much!

Go to page 4 scroll to about half way and someone posted a load of documents, click on 25 & 40 marker essay plans and that question is on there with examples
Nothing from your own knowledge, you pick out 3 points from the source and you explain 2
10 markers you pick out 2 points from the source and PEE and a 3rd point from your own knowledge

Thank you! So for the 10 mark question PEE is analysing two points from the source? And then the third point is complete own knowledge not an inference from the source?
The fact i still need to do parliament and pm and cabinet .... ****ing help me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending