The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government and Politics Unit 2 Exam 4th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Law-Hopeful
The creation of the UKSC does not place power in unelected judges, the HRA does.

But the HRA is apart off the constitution so...
Original post by lizmoo0721
110/200 an A?
Last year was 160/200 for an A?

thats UMS
Original post by apsjohnson
But the HRA is apart off the constitution so...

In what sense is the HRA part of the UK's constitution? And why is this important?
Original post by Law-Hopeful
How is "pooled sovereignty with the EU" a feature of Parliamentary sovereignty?

I would have mentioned a flat constitution (according to the orthodox Diceyan conception) in which no Acts of Parliament are 'higher' than another ("neither the Act of Union with Scotland nor the Dentists Act has more claim than the other to be supreme law":wink: - no 'constitutional laws' (although Thoburn/HS2 suggest otherwise, but this is not expected knowledge).

Parliament can legislate on whatever it wishes - the Stephen quote about blue-eyed babies or about banning smoking on the streets of Paris.

A valid AoP cannot be questioned by the courts - Parliament is the supreme law maker (hence AoP > common laws etc).

No Parliament can bind a future Parliament.

Those are the key points I would have mentioned. :smile:

I was under time pressure and this is more the judiciary topic, which I have 0 knowledge of, so I guess I would have scored no higher than 4
Original post by xxvine
the more i think about the more i think my answer was putrid

Stop thinking about it then there's nothing you can do. You've been revising for ages though you'll do fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrendhaUchiha
Stop thinking about it then there's nothing you can do. You've been revising for ages though you'll do fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

i hope lol
Reply 1186
Last year was 112 (raw) for an A, wasn't it?

The year before I believe was 110.
Reply 1187
I think I did well on the last two questions but foolishly failed to answer the first two questions of section A properly due to timing. These exams are just not long enough.
Original post by mrMUKI
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what structure they used for the 40 mark Prime minster question?

paragraph for on prerogative powers
paragraph against on the queen being official head of state
paragraph for on how some PMs adopt a presidential style
paragraph against on how some PMs do not adopt a presidential style
paragraph for on the downing street machine
paragraph against on the PM having more power
paragraph for on how the media portray a PM and spatial leadership
paragraph against on how a president has legal authority and a separate election
Reply 1189
Original post by zzinah
these times i didn't have any time to finish the 40 marker, wrote 3 pages and then i wrote a message to the examiner saying "sorry ran out of time, please mark considerate. After all, I haven't slept for 48 hours. THANKSSS" :albertein:

i should've done that too. they might be considerate :/
Original post by charlsk
That should be fine, as long as you still mentioned how Parliament is still legally sovereign?

Thank you! Yeah I defined it as parliament was the highest legal authority and can create repeal and amend any law- and then talked about EU devolution and referendums?
Reply 1191
Did anyone mention parliament being sovereign in the sense they can leave the EU, veto legislation over government and overthrow government like James Callaghan?

I'm worried I didn't talk enough about constitutional reforms for the arguments in favour
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rod00
Did anyone mention parliament being sovereign in the sense they can leave the EU, veto legislation over government and overthrow government like James Callaghan?

I'm worried I didn't talk enough about constitutional reforms for the arguments in favour

Great point, didn't mention that. Although the question asked if it sovereign nowadays, I'm sure its a valid point for in the future.

Screwed up the againsts in the PM and Prez question....

Anyone: is it a valid point to say the PM here is elected on a majority and is therefore more representative than the Pres because he is elected on more votes??
Original post by futbol
So did I!

Felt terrible before the exam but great now

Wow you could of been so screwed over so badly...#risky
Reply 1194
Original post by doniwie
Great point, didn't mention that. Although the question asked if it sovereign nowadays, I'm sure its a valid point for in the future.

Screwed up the againsts in the PM and Prez question....

Anyone: is it a valid point to say the PM here is elected on a majority and is therefore more representative than the Pres because he is elected on more votes??

Thanks! I'm just not too sure because I didn't directly mention the constitutional reforms :/
Original post by Rod00
Thanks! I'm just not too sure because I didn't directly mention the constitutional reforms :/

If you mentioned EU/Devolution there was no need to reference further reforms
Reply 1196
Original post by cbarrasford17
If you mentioned EU/Devolution there was no need to reference further reforms

Oh that's good, but I was just worried I spoke too much about parliament being sovereign over government
Original post by Mkillerby
10 marker
- Parliament can't bind successors
- Parliament is sovereign over devolved admins
- EU law is supreme over parliament, but parliament can choose to leave the EU at any time.

25 marker
FOR
- Devolved admins in health, education, housing, etc.
- EU. Factortame.
-Referendums

AGAINST:
-Parliament still legally sovereign
- Parliament still has many powers in Scotland and Wales
- EU doesn't have much influences over areas like welfare or education.
- Referendums are mostly rubber-stamping for parliament

You could also probably mention the judiciary here.

Ahh that's reassured me, I've used most of the examples you've said here :biggrin: the annoying thing is I didn't mention anything about referendums ffs, i thought about it in the exam and then decided against mentioning it for some stupid reason
Is there negative marking in this paper? So, if you write something that's incorrect will you lose marks or just not gain marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZSHNZ
Is there negative marking in this paper? So, if you write something that's incorrect will you lose marks or just not gain marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No negative marking, the point is deemed as void.

However, it sets a negative impression in the examiners head so best to steer clear of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending