The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances.

Hello,

My little brother has had a major accident which results in him finding it hard to study and his head was severely injured a few months before his exam. The school knew and reported it to the exam board. During his first alevel exam, half way through his head started paining a lot, hence, gettingin the way of completing the exam.

He is now awarded extra time, but as he had no extra time in his first exam, will he be allowed to gain extra marks for that exam, or how does it work?
Original post by FrayCish
Hello,

My little brother has had a major accident which results in him finding it hard to study and his head was severely injured a few months before his exam. The school knew and reported it to the exam board. During his first alevel exam, half way through his head started paining a lot, hence, gettingin the way of completing the exam.

He is now awarded extra time, but as he had no extra time in his first exam, will he be allowed to gain extra marks for that exam, or how does it work?

He will get special consideration form the exam board but the maximum they can allocate is 5% extra to whatever he scored. This however is usually reserved only for diagnosis of a terminal illness recently, something like cancer, or an immediate family member like your mother dying. Your brother is likely to get anywhere from 2%-3% is my honest guess especially given that this injury happened recently, if it had happened over 6 months ago I doubt he would get much if any. It is very harsh I know :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest