The Student Room Group

Ectotherms - HELP

I am doing OCR A2 Biology
I am using the OCR Biology A2 Heinemann book
In the book it says that 'Ectotherms are not able to increase respiration rates to generate heat internally', but then later on the same page it says 'Once they are active their muscle contractions will generate some heat from increased respiration'
QUESTION: Can Ectotherms increase their respiration rates to generate heat?
Thank you! ^.^
Reply 1
Original post by Shostakovish
I am doing OCR A2 Biology
I am using the OCR Biology A2 Heinemann book
In the book it says that 'Ectotherms are not able to increase respiration rates to generate heat internally', but then later on the same page it says 'Once they are active their muscle contractions will generate some heat from increased respiration'
QUESTION: Can Ectotherms increase their respiration rates to generate heat?
Thank you! ^.^

Hi... I think the answer to this is that ectotherms will not increase respiration to generate heat if they are cold, but rather a by product of their movement is that they heat up due to increased respiration... at least that's how I understand it

if they're cold but too lazy to move they're gonna stay cold.... if they decide to move for whatever reason they will release some heat from muscle contraction, unlike in endotherms where they can sit still and the body auto causes muscles to contract (shivering) regardless of how lazy the individual is - it's regulated by the body, not its reaction to the environment

this link explains it better :smile:

http://obabio.wikispaces.com/Maintaining+body+temperature+(ectotherms)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tara8000
Hi... I think the answer to this is that ectotherms will not increase respiration to generate heat if they are cold, but rather a by product of their movement is that they heat up due to increased respiration... at least that's how I understand it

if they're cold but too lazy to move they're gonna stay cold.... if they decide to move for whatever reason they will release some heat from muscle contraction, unlike in endotherms where they can sit still and the body auto causes muscles to contract (shivering) regardless of how lazy the individual is - it's regulated by the body, not its reaction to the environment

this link explains it better :smile:

http://obabio.wikispaces.com/Maintaining+body+temperature+(ectotherms)

Aaah! That makes so much sense! Thank you!!! ^.^ Are you taking this exam on Monday too? (F214)
Reply 3
Aaah! That makes so much sense! Thank you!!! ^.^ Are you taking this exam on Monday too? (F214)

Ah no, I have AQA - But that's still on Monday!
Original post by tara8000
Ah no, I have AQA - But that's still on Monday!

Good luck! You do seem well prepared, so don't worry! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Good luck! You do seem well prepared, so don't worry! :biggrin:

aha I wouldn't be so sure :redface:

Good luck to you too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest