The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History A Unit 3B War and the transformation of British Society 1931-51

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgialennon
Unfortunately I don't, I've only looked at the styles of past papers and used some of the textbooks I've already got - do you need any help with any in particular because I might be able to model some?

Could you help with that question above?
What do you need to know about the nhs??
Original post by Trl157w21Unban
What would you write as an answer to this question?:

What can you learn from Source A about the Battle of Britain? (6 marks)

One thing I can learn from Source A about the Battle of Britain is the sheer enormity of a provoking assault of this scale.
I know this because the source specifically states 'the whole sky ahead seemed filled with aircraft'.
This further implies that there was significant defence systems imposed on behalf of Geman Luftwaffe within the Battle of Britain and matters of opposition were clearly defined in the sky to generate immense threat.

Another thing I can learn from the following source is that Luftwaffe planes flew in groups of copious numbers, proving easy to spot for British allies.
I know this because it states 'thirty in each formation'.
Therefore, there is further implication that the Luftwaffe had extreme weaknesses, so much so that the Battle of Britain became a significant advantage to the RAF because the copious formations presented an easy target, both for live shooting and mechanical radar systems.
One thing I can learn from Source A about the Battle of Britain is the sheer enormity of a provoking assault of this scale.
I know this because the source specifically states 'the whole sky ahead seemed filled with aircraft'.
This further implies that there was significant defence systems imposed on behalf of Geman Luftwaffe within the Battle of Britain and matters of opposition were clearly defined in the sky to generate immense threat.

Another thing I can learn from the following source is that Luftwaffe planes flew in groups of copious numbers, proving easy to spot for British allies.
Therefore, there is further implication that the Luftwaffe had extreme weaknesses, so much so that the Battle of Britain became a significant advantage to the RAF because the copious formations presented an easy target, both for live shooting and mechanical radar systems.

Thank you. What if I wrote that the source suggests that RAF pilots were quite confident that they would win and seemed to enjoy the battle. The RAF pilot recalling the scene says that it was an "amazing sight" to see all the German planes. This shows that he was in awe and had no fear that he would be killed. Is that alright? I really liked your inferences.
Original post by Trl157w21Unban
Thank you. What if I wrote that the source suggests that RAF pilots were quite confident that they would win and seemed to enjoy the battle. The RAF pilot recalling the scene says that it was an "amazing sight" to see all the German planes. This shows that he was in awe and had no fear that he would be killed. Is that alright? I really liked your inferences.

That would also work really nicely - as long as you can back up your inference with direct lines of evidence, you can never be wrong with this question... unless you go completely off topic of course!
Reply 45
can someone explain the battle of Britain to me i'm confused was it the invasion my sea or air, i understand why the British won and all that but not the actual event

You dont need to analyse it you just need a point and a quote. Do this twice and you'll get full marks.
Original post by deens
can someone explain the battle of Britain to me i'm confused was it the invasion my sea or air, i understand why the British won and all that but not the actual event

The Battle of Britain was an airfare assault, henceforth the battle between the RAF Hurricane and Spitfire and Luftwaffe Messerschmitt 109, however planes did fight and fly over the expanse of sea surrounding Britain, as one main RAF strength was the concept of the UK being an island.

Luftwaffe Messerschmitt would fly over the channel and sea from Germany to target Britain, and this is dominantly how the entire Battle of Britain was fought.
Reply 48
I'm curious, why does no one think something like the Evacuation will come up, has it come up before?
Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
I thought tomorrows exam was a sources paper lol. I havent learnt anything about Britain because its all in the exam paper.
Reply 50
How did everyone find the paper?
Reply 51
Original post by sditta
How did everyone find the paper?

Really good because I had revised Battle of Britain, although I had some timing issues concerning the last question and didn't write as much as I would have liked to for it but I think I made up for it in the other questions. How about you?
Reply 52
Original post by reeceb
Really good because I had revised Battle of Britain, although I had some timing issues concerning the last question and didn't write as much as I would have liked to for it but I think I made up for it in the other questions. How about you?

Yeah, I thought it was a really good paper too,since the wording of most of the questions were really vague. The main issue I had was that the sources contained most of my own knowledge! So, when I was talking about Source D, for example, I was using information given in Source F. Obviously, I didn't realise this until the end, when I actually read Source F! I hope they still understand that it was actually my own knowledge though :frown:
do any of you remember what the questions were for your exam last year, been told my mocks the same as last years battle of Britain paper, does that mean D day and Dunkirk will come up?????
Original post by sditta
The main topics are:

Effect of the Depression 1930s
Jarrow Crusade
Dunkirk
Battle of Britain
Blitz
Evacuation
Ministries (of information, for example)
Rationing
D-Day
Women
Elections - Labour vs Conservatives
Beverage Report: 5 Giants
Defeat of Germany
NHS

Can anyone think of any I've missed out?

Hi! I'm doing my last History exam on Tuesday, and I was wondering if this still applies has everything you need to know? Thank you!
Original post by itsjustkuroo
Hi! I'm doing my last History exam on Tuesday, and I was wondering if this still applies has everything you need to know? Thank you!

You posted on a thread that is a year old but I'll help you out. For Tuesday, since Battle of Britain came up last year, it won't come up this year. Edexcel doesn't do the same topic in consecutive exams when it comes to Unit 3 History, it goes in a cycle.

However, the NHS, the Evacuation of Britain and the Blitz hasn't come up in a while (before 2010) so you should definitely prepare for that. Topics that you should also prioritise are: D-Day and defeat of Germany, Jarrow March, 1945 election and Women's roles during WW2. (they came up before 2012). So yes, the topics still apply but skim through sections that I haven't listed anyway, there's a rare chance that this years paper could be of a topic I haven't mentioned (eg Beveridge Report, Rationing, 1930 unemployment)
Original post by Evilstr99
You posted on a thread that is a year old but I'll help you out. For Tuesday, since Battle of Britain came up last year, it won't come up this year. Edexcel doesn't do the same topic in consecutive exams when it comes to Unit 3 History, it goes in a cycle.

However, the NHS, the Evacuation of Britain and the Blitz hasn't come up in a while (before 2010) so you should definitely prepare for that. Topics that you should also prioritise are: D-Day and defeat of Germany, Jarrow March, 1945 election and Women's roles during WW2. (they came up before 2012). So yes, the topics still apply but skim through sections that I haven't listed anyway, there's a rare chance that this years paper could be of a topic I haven't mentioned (eg Beveridge Report, Rationing, 1930 unemployment)

Thank you for this!
Does anyone know really good own knowledge
Lads, you know the question 3, is it causation or "how far do sources a and b support the evidence of source c"
Original post by Claude124
Lads, you know the question 3, is it causation or "how far do sources a and b support the evidence of source c"

Q3 is using one source only and explaining why an event happened.
You make two developed points, use quotes from the source and then your own knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending