The Student Room Group

Do you agree with UKIP's immigration policy?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a fan, as far as I'm concerned the biggest problem with 'immigrants' is that the UK governments total lack of foresight, planning and then ability to react to the situation even 11 years after EU enlargement. Seriously, since I joined primary school 19 years ago there has been to my knowledge been no new state primary's built in the are where I live. That is just not good enough.

Also I'd be far less opposed to UKIPs immigration policy if I thought it would apply equally to everybody. That would mean British citizens who emigrate to Spain then comeback as soon as they get ill would need to meet the same requirements as any other ill person coming in to the country,
Original post by Crb822
In my opinion it is a good idea and NO that doesn't make me racist. Their idea is similar to the Australian system which up to now has worked well for the Australian's

I agree with UKIP's immigration policy.
I personally think we should be more like places such as australia and america.
Reply 22
Original post by mojojojo101
I'm not a fan, as far as I'm concerned the biggest problem with 'immigrants' is that the UK governments total lack of foresight, planning and then ability to react to the situation even 11 years after EU enlargement. Seriously, since I joined primary school 19 years ago there has been to my knowledge been no new state primary's built in the are where I live. That is just not good enough.

Why do you think the UK government suffers such crippling myopia?

Because you cannot predict the amount of people that will enter the country when we have an open door to half a billion people whilst we are a part of the EU. No amount of negotiation with the folks in Brussels and Strasbourg will change the fact that we have no control over our borders and how many people enter the country. If we left the EU, predicting would actually become possible and allow for us to anticipate a set level of demand, helping us solve the problem you describe above.

Also I'd be far less opposed to UKIPs immigration policy if I thought it would apply equally to everybody. That would mean British citizens who emigrate to Spain then comeback as soon as they get ill would need to meet the same requirements as any other ill person coming in to the country,

The same rules would apply if that Briton who emigrated to Spain obtained Spanish citizenship and a Spanish passport. Depending on how long said Briton had been living in the UK for, they are likely to have paid taxes into the system—so you are proposing that they should not be entitled to a service they paid for?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kiytt
Why do you think the UK government suffers such crippling myopia?

Because you cannot predict the amount of people that will enter the country when we have an open door to half a billion people whilst we are a part of the EU. No amount of negotiation with the folks in Brussels and Strasbourg will change the fact that we have no control over our borders and how many people enter the country. If we left the EU, predicting would actually become possible and allow for us to anticipate a set level of demand, helping us solve the problem you describe above.

The same rules would apply if that Briton who emigrated to Spain obtained Spanish citizenship and a Spanish passport. Depending on how long said Briton had been living in the UK for, they are likely to have paid taxes into the system—so you are proposing that they should not be entitled to a service they paid for?

You see it's not an issue of predicting population growth anymore, it already happened and still the government has done little to nothing to increase the amount of schools, doctors surgeries (no new ones since I was born) and other basic bits of infrastructure. Admittedly, in other parts of the country it might be different, but where I live the primary cause of long GP wait times and lack of school places is a total failure to build new facilities, even when inward migration (mainly from other parts of the UK) has been happening for nearly a decade.

UKIP say they want immigration rules to apply to everybody equally, all I'm saying is that it should also apply to British citizens as well.
yeah, most people do now, including labour candidates.
Reply 25
You see it's not an issue of predicting population growth anymore, it already happened and still the government has done little to nothing to increase the amount of schools, doctors surgeries (no new ones since I was born) and other basic bits of infrastructure. Admittedly, in other parts of the country it might be different, but where I live the primary cause of long GP wait times and lack of school places is a total failure to build new facilities, even when inward migration (mainly from other parts of the UK) has been happening for nearly a decade.

Anymore? It is still an issue, an will continue to be an issue unless something is done about it—and I say we leave the EU.You are correct though. In 2004 we could have never predicted that 11 years later, half a million people would be entering the country each year, and that we would not have the resources to sustain such growth. Then, we had the 2008 recession which meant investing in infrastructure was out of the question. The coalition government adopted austerity, which means we are doing the opposite to investing more—we are in-fact decreasing the budget for schools and the NHS. Here's proof:

Spoiler

Spoiler

You can read the sources here:
http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-1225/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/3/20/1395326815809/Budget-2013-the-governmen-010.jpghttps://www.aoc.co.uk/sites/default/files/The%20Department%20for%20Education%20budget%20after%202015.pdf

UKIP say they want immigration rules to apply to everybody equally, all I'm saying is that it should also apply to British citizens as well.

Do you think that the other 109 countries which have control over their own borders disallow their own natives to return to their home country? That seems like a rather ridiculous proposal; yes, immigration needs limiting, but you cannot strip someone the right to enter a country which they are legally a citizen of. That is not equality, that is stripping away their right.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending