The Student Room Group

Getting another master's degree

Hi everyone

This is a bit personal so please do not judge me :biggrin:

I'm an international student and a few years ago I studied a 1-year master's degree in the UK. I felt like it went by so quick because 1) it was only for a year 2) it was in the middle of the pandemic. I graduated in 2021 but I know about the graduate route visa but back then I felt so depressed (also because of other things) and wanted to go back home.

Now that I feel and doing a lot better in my life, I'm thinking of getting another master's in the UK but I'm not sure if it's possible. I'm also worried if it'll affect the visa.

Does anyone have this kind of experience? Do you have any tips?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by flower_heart97
Hi everyone

I'm an international student and a few years ago I studied a 1-year master's degree in the UK. I felt like it went by so quick because 1) it was only for a year 2) it was in the middle of the pandemic. I graduated in 2021 but I know about the graduate route visa but back then I felt so depressed (also because of other things) and wanted to go back home.

Now that I feel and doing a lot better in my life, I'm thinking of getting another master's in the UK but I'm not sure if it's possible. I'm also worried if it'll affect the visa.

Hey @flower_heart97

It's very possible to do another master's degree course in the UK as I've seen a lot of international students do it before. Follow the same process that you did for your first master and it should be okay. I would encourage you to pursue a degree that is relevant to your career field and interest or you would be just bored completing it.

I hope this helps a bit. All the best with your journey.

- Dennis :biggrin: (PhD Air Transport Management student)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by flower_heart97
Hi everyone

Hey!
I can provide you with some information regarding pursuing another master's degree in the UK and its potential impact on your visa. Firstly, it is definitely possible for you to pursue another master's degree in the UK, even if you have already completed one. The decision to pursue further education depends on your personal and career goals, and many students choose to pursue additional degrees to enhance their knowledge and skills in a specific field.

Regarding your visa, if you have already graduated and returned to your home country, you will need to reapply for a student visa to study in the UK again. The specific visa requirements and application process can vary, so it is essential to consult the official website of the UK government or speak to an immigration advisor for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Keep in mind that the Graduate Route visa, which was launched in July 2021, allows international students who have completed a degree at the undergraduate level or above in the UK to stay and work for up to two years after graduation. If you were eligible for this visa during your previous master's program, it's possible that you may still be eligible for it when you complete your next master's degree, depending on the specific criteria and requirements.

When considering pursuing another master's degree, it's essential to carefully research and choose a program that aligns with your interests, career goals, and personal aspirations. Take the time to explore different universities, their courses, and faculty members to ensure you make an informed decision.

Additionally, it might be beneficial to reach out to the international student support services at the universities you are interested in. They can provide guidance on the visa application process, any changes in immigration policies, and offer advice specific to your situation.

Lastly, it's wonderful to hear that you are feeling better and in a more positive place in your life. Pursuing further education can be an exciting opportunity for personal and professional growth. However, it's important to consider factors such as the financial implications, career prospects, and your overall well-being while making this decision.

I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process and potential future studies in the UK. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending