The Student Room Group

Best programming languages?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Async
COBOL is the future lol

Nah m8 it's all about Ook! and Brainf*ck
Reply 21
Original post by Async
Assembly language you know, that's some big boy tings right there. Personally, assembly language doesn't tickle my fancy, it seems like a load of work. How does one handle an exception in assembly language? It's already a pain to do it in C#, let alone assembly.

That's where it gets annoying. In assembly language you either have to be a genius, or just hope the user isn't a complete idiot seems to be what I've found. Although there is a part of me that hates handling exceptions because it makes me feel like, "this code is useless, unless the user is incapable of following a simple instruction; in which case they deserve the program to crash on them".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Zargabaath
Nah m8 it's all about Ook! and Brainf*ck

Brainf*ck has nothing on binary :cool:
Reply 23
Original post by naxiv
I think i know more computing and programming than you.

Sorry if I come across as annoying and a "know it all", I certainly don't and I don't intentionally try to be like that. I'm just really pedantic. Apologies, I won't quote you again, I assume it must be v.annoying.
Original post by Async
Brainf*ck has nothing on binary :cool:

Binary has nothing on Whitespace :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_(programming_language)
Reply 25
Original post by Andy98
, "this code is useless, unless the user is incapable of following a simple instruction; in which case they deserve the program to crash on them".

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOOL, love this. So accurate. I guess that's why I mainly just prevent errors rather than TryCatch
Reply 26

I think you've beaten me there. :colone:

White space is on a whole new level of brain damage.
Reply 27

Oooh

Original post by Async
LOOOL, love this. So accurate. I guess that's why I mainly just prevent errors rather than TryCatch

Yeahhhhh, I grew up with an opinionated father watching Jeremy Clarkson, so I've been known over the years for being rather blunt in saying what I think:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Async
I think you've beaten me there. :colone:

White space is on a whole new level of brain damage.

Some of the Esoteric languages people have created are really insane, like ArnoldC, a language where every keyword is an Arnold Schwarzenegger quote.
Reply 29
Original post by Zargabaath
Some of the Esoteric languages people have created are really insane, like ArnoldC, a language where every keyword is an Arnold Schwarzenegger quote.

I kinda envy those people for actually being able to create a language. One day I hope I learn enough to be able to create my own language, just for learning purposes and a bit of fun.
Reply 30
Original post by Andy98
Oooh

Yeahhhhh, I grew up with an opinionated father watching Jeremy Clarkson, so I've been known over the years for being rather blunt in saying what I think:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh I see ahaha. Nothing wrong with saying it how you call it.
Original post by Async
I kinda envy those people for actually being able to create a language. One day I hope I learn enough to be able to create my own language, just for learning purposes and a bit of fun.

Yeah me too, although I think I'm a long way of at the moment :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Async
Ahhh I see ahaha. Nothing wrong with saying it how you call it.

No, it just rules me out of the running for prime minister:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first language was java and then I moved into C++ and then the weird ones. Once you have a basic idea it becomes pretty easy to just absorb languages.

I taught myself python in three weeks and it's what I teach my pupils. It's pretty simple and hasn't got many oddities unlike some of the others so it's a nice first language to understand most of the data structures and algorithms.

But really, just go with something you think you'll enjoy. C++ will always have my heart but I'm happy to flirt with the others.
I don't know why people always say C is a bad first language. I think it's important for a beginner to understand the very basics of how a lower level language works.

I especially think beginners should dive straight into disassesembling their programs. Then they learn exactly what is happening under the hood.

Just my two cents
Reply 35
I'd also like to draw your attention to Ruby as well, particularly useful for web apps which is what I am learning at the moment.

However it depends on what you are using it for, R and Python tend to be used a lot for data analysis (what I use them for), although they both have more uses than that. OP if you can tell us what you want to do with them, it would be easier to give you an answer.

If by general you mean you don't know, just choose one, in terms of learning to code though I always find its useful to spend a bit of time learning the syntax etc then get hands on as soon as possible. Run your own mini projects.
There is no "best", just the one that most suited to your application that you wish to develop
Reply 37
Original post by ParadoxSocks
But really, just go with something you think you'll enjoy. C++ will always have my heart but I'm happy to flirt with the others.

Hahaha love that wording

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending