The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
They're not going to tell you it's a ****-hole are they?

Well of course they won't say that! But it's a red brick university therefore it already has that reputation anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maryamzahid
I hardly doubt it's weak, but I do think that they should be a lot more stricter with the entry requirements and so on

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is just one of those things, Liverpool isn't the poshest city, and many students from well off backgrounds would prefer to go to what might be perceived a nicer or safer city. On the plus side, they do offer three of the most sought after subjects (Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine), but these courses are expensive to run and put a strain on university finances no doubt, especially with serious government cuts to higher education spending these days.
Original post by Novelist
It is just one of those things, Liverpool isn't the poshest city, and many students from well off backgrounds would prefer to go to what might be perceived a nicer or safer city. On the plus side, they do offer three of the most sought after subjects (Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine), but these courses are expensive to run and put a strain on university finances no doubt, especially with serious government cuts to higher education spending these days.

I agree, the city itself isn't posh but it's lively to live in. Often many of my friends who ended up in Liverpool from down south complain this place isn't as good as London or Oxford. It's a shame that the government continues to alter fees and loans, puts a lot of people including me in financial difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by maryamzahid
I agree, the city itself isn't posh but it's lively to live in. Often many of my friends who ended up in Liverpool from down south complain this place isn't as good as London or Oxford. It's a shame that the government continues to alter fees and loans, puts a lot of people including me in financial difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile

its a bit random..but does ANYONE have any recommendations for vet med related newspapers or magazines I can get reading during the summer to expand my overall knowledge on the course?

Thanks a billion.. and one :wink:

annie
Original post by annie79
its a bit random..but does ANYONE have any recommendations for vet med related newspapers or magazines I can get reading during the summer to expand my overall knowledge on the course?

Thanks a billion.. and one :wink:

annie

I recommend looking at the reading lists provided by Liverpool or any other red brick uni that does vet med so you know what books u need to read :smile: often there are some online journals you can go for too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by democracyforum
What you are asking is this :

when an employer sees Liverpool University on my CV,
will they think I am inferior,
poorer,
and less intelligent,
than people in Oxford ?

let's be honest, that's what you are really saying isn't it.

Of course, now stop being an attention seeking ****head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake
Of course, now stop being an attention seeking ****head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's not. I simply trying to discover how respected the university is amongst employers, academics and the general public. From the answers that 've been posted thus far, it's seems like a respectable university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mary Margaret
No, it's not. I simply trying to discover how respected the university is amongst employers, academics and the general public. From the answers that 've been posted thus far, it's seems like a respectable university.

I wouldn't work for someone who judged me on the university I went to anyway
Reply 28
Pointless saying it on this site but reputation really doesn't matter. Employers only care about what you learned and what grades you got. "Reputation" in any case is usually based on research output which as absolutely sweet FA to do with undergraduate study. You could even say that being an undergrad at a university with high research output is bad because you won't get as much attention. I think that this reputation obsession stems from parents and schools drumming it into kids that they must go to a top ranked university so that they look good. I remember at my school as one of the 30 reasons to join the sixth form they actually put down that someone got into Cambridge five years ago. Five years ago, five!

If you really must obsess over it Liverpool university is in the Russell Group I believe so yes they have a good reputation.

it is quite good.

it won't hold you back, but it won't wow anyone either.

That is just my opinion based on the reactions I've had going a uni a bit higher up in terms of prestige (Manchester).
Original post by Plutonian
Pointless saying it on this site but reputation really doesn't matter. Employers only care about what you learned and what grades you got. "Reputation" in any case is usually based on research output which as absolutely sweet FA to do with undergraduate study. You could even say that being an undergrad at a university with high research output is bad because you won't get as much attention. I think that this reputation obsession stems from parents and schools drumming it into kids that they must go to a top ranked university so that they look good. I remember at my school as one of the 30 reasons to join the sixth form they actually put down that someone got into Cambridge five years ago. Five years ago, five!

If you really must obsess over it Liverpool university is in the Russell Group I believe so yes they have a good reputation.

Thanks for your post.

By the way, how many years was it since that student at your school went to Cambridge? Hahaha!! :biggrin:
Reply 31
Thanks for your post.

By the way, how many years was it since that student at your school went to Cambridge? Hahaha!! :biggrin:

5 years
Original post by democracyforum
I wouldn't work for a company that judged me on the university I went to .

Obviously you are insecure about going to Liverpool university.

Would you be asking these questions if you went to Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge ? Probably not.

The solution is a society without prejudice,

" The general opinion or judgment of the public about a person or thing"

Urgh, can you get anymore left wing.
Original post by TheWaffle
it is quite good.

it won't hold you back, but it won't wow anyone either.

That is just my opinion based on the reactions I've had going a uni a bit higher up in terms of prestige (Manchester).

30 years ago Nottingham didn't have the 'wow' factor but now it's considered as a prestigious university.

Exeter was considered to be a 'less than average' university 30 years ago but now it's a favourite of middle class students.

I wonder if Liverpool will have more of the 'wow' factor 20 / 30 years time?
Original post by Novelist
Liverpool is part of the Russell Group, so it certainly will be well respected by academics and employers. Don't pay too much attention to UK league tables, they are absurd and flawed to the teeth. Liverpool is also famed for offering the big three: Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine - a feat only matched by Bristol.

I would just put Liverpool ahead of Leicester and Royal Holloway, but below Leeds and Newcastle. But the margins are small. Overall reputation is very subjective. Some people think Durham and St Andrews are almost up there with UCL and KCL for prestige, others realise that they are just very good univesities punching above their weight because they are ancient universities, and thus popular with Oxbridge rejects.

St Andrews > KCL for prestige. In almost every subject St Andrews is the more competitive university... and yes even for Medicine.
Please could someone inform me of the overall reputation of the University of Liverpool. It is a respectable/well-regarded university?

The University of Liverpool is fantastic. It’s an original Red Brick University & it’s a member of The Russell Group. It’s better than Queen Mary University of London, The University of Sheffield, The University of York & Queens Belfast University all of which are Russell Groups. Liverpool also has fantastic value added as many universities on the same level as Liverpool or lower ask for higher grades at A - level.
Please do not bump 4 year old threads!

Latest

Trending

Trending