The Student Room Group

Which uni is better in Computer Science? Exeter or Liverpool?

As a International student, I get 2 offers from these school, but I don't know what I should choose if I plan to work at UK or even Europe.
I don't know about computer science but in general Exeter has a better reputation in the UK
Reply 2
OK, thanks. But I'm still in dilemma, becuse the CS ranking of Liverpool is higher much than Exeter, but the QS or other Rankings show that Exeter has a higher overall ranking as you said
Original post by Niconico
OK, thanks. But I'm still in dilemma, becuse the CS ranking of Liverpool is higher much than Exeter, but the QS or other Rankings show that Exeter has a higher overall ranking as you said

I think it really depends on which ranking you look at and how they come to their conclusions. Different rankings have them in different places, so there is probably not much between them, in reality.
I would look at location and I would look at modules/course structure through each year. Liverpool is a fabulous city with great nightlife and culture. Exeter is a beautiful campus, much more rural. Which lifestyle suits you more?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Which university did you end up picking. I am planning to do CS at the university of Exeter
Reply 5
As a International student, I get 2 offers from these school, but I don't know what I should choose if I plan to work at UK or even Europe.

Please don't focus on the rankings too much. When it comes to employment, it isn't where you've been that counts, it is what you can do and what you know. It isn't the university that makes a good candidate, it is the candidate themselves. Good students will do well wherever they study. The only reason good universities do so well is because they attract a higher proportion of good students compared to lower universities.

For me, I would ask myself, do I want to live in a vibrant busy bustling international cosmopolitan city (Liverpool), or a sleepy historic regional town with nice pubs (Exeter) miles from anywhere?
(edited 9 months ago)

Hi there!

So I advise you too take a look at the specific of the course at each University, for example is there the opportunity to focus upon particular modules at one University or the other, is there particular research strengths at each University that would suit you best? I would broadly that the facilities etc at the University will be similar for each of Liverpool and Exeter. However, as a city Liverpool is bigger, and more vibrant with a great range of cultural activities. It is also cheaper in terms of rent and the cost of living, but is there anything in particular that you would like to know more about Liverpool?

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Probably Liverpool - the CS department at Exeter was until a few years ago the IT department and just offered courses in IT/computing. Their emphasis when I was there was mainly on things like web design, not software engineering or computer science formally. Their programming courses were considered so unsuitable that the electronic engineering course did not use them (despite being based in the same building as engineering) and used the physics degree programming course at the time (and have since developed their own bespoke programming course). They may have improved somewhat recently but I still would not consider it a strong department. Exeter's strengths are in subjects like law, history, and politics - not CS.

Note the above is for the main campus. Can't comment on the Cornwall campus as they will be a totally different department (generally the Cornwall campus is/was stronger in STEM related areas due to being borne out of the Cambourne School of Mines).
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending