The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Access

Hi

Sorry if this has already been posted before tried to look in a few forums and can't find anything about what I want to know

I recently applied for access to health professions as Derby uni and still waiting to hear back whether I've been offered a place or not. I've tried to find out what the timetable may be, as at the moment I work 30 hours a week, 6 hours a day and just hoping I can fit this around work.

Does anyone know what time the classes/lectures are likely to be?

Thanks in advance.
Classes are typically between 10am and 5pm. I would say there is no way you could possibly do an Access Course which is 12-15 hours per week, 30 hours of work and of course your studying time. I did Foundation Joint Honours in 2013/14 and let me tell you, if you want decent results, you have to put the work in.

Good luck!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hi hun, i'm applying too, i haven't actually sent my application in yet, i rang the other day to see if i was too late but i can still apply.. so i can't shed any light on the timetable etc.. but I'm in the same boat as you.. i work full time. I did an access before and still managed to work and get good results if you put the effort in. I left the course though and didn't finish which is a shame because i could have been doing my midwifery degree now :frown: but the course was absolutely
awful at derby college, no support whatsoever. from what I can understand though you can choose your own timetable at derby uni so you may be able to fit in work better. i work at derby hospital at the moment and work shifts, but if needs be i shall just have to hand my notice in and work bank shifts flexibly instead as i really need to do this course if i ever want to get anywhere in life lol! Feel free to keep in touch :smile: x
Reply 3
Thanks Hun :smile: i sent off my application and did my screening test two weeks ago so hopefully will hear soon! Oh yeah I've heard bad things about Derby college but I know few people that have done the access at Derby uni and highly recommended it. Yeah deffo let me know how you get on x
Original post by Kate-4xo
Thanks Hun :smile: i sent off my application and did my screening test two weeks ago so hopefully will hear soon! Oh yeah I've heard bad things about Derby college but I know few people that have done the access at Derby uni and highly recommended it. Yeah deffo let me know how you get on x

Yea it was bad! what are you looking to do after? i'm going for my screening tests on wednesday :smile: i hope I get in, i'm 23 soon so its my last year to do it without having to fork out a small fortune! Ah you didn't send them off that long ago then, well with the course starting in september i presume people with start hearing towards the end of this month x
Reply 5
I want to be a midwife so want to just do a midwifery course rather than just nursing. I'll be 24 in two weeks so I won't be entitled to anything so that's why I was hoping to still work alongside it! Hope I hear soon don't like the wait lol! X
If you are 24, you may eligible for the 24+ Advanced Loan to pay your fees.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk
Reply 7
Yeah I know that but I can't get anything else and I have bills and debts to pay but hopefully it'll be fine
I know the waiting is hard! They're sending me a new application form cause I lost mine in the process of moving house. Just found if though. At the top it says the deadline for application is 3 weeks from the day you attended the information evening but that can't be an issue seeing as I've spoken to them about that. What uni are you hoping to go for for midwifery? I was offered a place at Dmu a couple of years back that's a really nice uni. I'll be hoping to get in there or Nottingham I think xx
Reply 9
I got an offer :biggrin: just got to go and sort my timetable out. So excited! X
Congrats. I have also had an offer, I went in on Wed to sort my timetable and I am doing Mon, wed, thurs, friday afternoons
Reply 11
I have Monday afternoon and evening Tuesday morning Wednesday morning and all day Thursday! So excited to start! :smile: x
Reply 12
Does anyone know how I can start looking at work experience or how I go about this????
What is it you're wanting to do Kate?? I'm in on a Tuesday all day, Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday and Friday :smile:
Reply 14
Midwifery. I just don't know how I'm going to fit everything in lol I've put a lot of work on myself but it's the only way I can afford to live as well! will all be worth it in the end. Just really stressing about the work experience x
see i'm lucky cause I have worked in Maternity for 3 years, see if there are any local NCT classes you could observe or if there are any breastfeeding support groups you could help out at, it might be a start :smile: I've already started to draft my personal statement, I wanted to make a start on to make sure its spot on when I send it, I really need a place at Nottingham! I wish I could find my old one but its on a long lost memory stick somewhere lol! xx
Reply 16
Hiya guys. I this thread was from a long time ago. But what are the screening tests like? Are they hard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending