The Student Room Group

Anyone gotten into uni with an access course ? & which one ?

Just feeling really sceptical since I want to go to university next year but don't know a single person who has been admitted with an access course.
Original post by prosperous-trico
Just feeling really sceptical since I want to go to university next year but don't know a single person who has been admitted with an access course.

Loads go with access courses every year. It depends on the university but nearly all accept them. My old next door neighbour got into Swansea for Psychology with 1 years ago. It would need to be an academic one for most places like Humanities or Science and it might need lots of distinctions. Check the entry requirements for universities you are interested in.
here is an example for Sociology at Bath
Access to HE Diploma Typical offer
33 credits at Distinction
[start]A pass in the Access to HE Diploma with at least 33 credits achieved at Distinction and 6 credits achieved at Merit above. This must include at least 9 credits achieved at Distinction in an essay-based subject.[/start]
Unis accept them a lot but you have to make sure that the access course matches the subject you want to apply to.,Also noting that grades aren't a guarantee of an offer from a more competitive uni, but otherwise yeah, they can be a good route in.
Original post by prosperous-trico

Hi @prosperous-trico

Access Course is a great course for 19+ people who want to go to university and do not have a level 3 instead of doing two years of A-Level or BTEC. I have done an access course myself to get into university. Currently studying Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience. I was even eligible for a mature student scholarship that the University of Leicester offers for students who are 21+ when starting their degree. I have met a few others at my university who have done an access course to study law or accounting and finance.

There are many routes to get into university, and an access course is definitely one of them 🙂

What degree do you want to study at university?

Best wishes
Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience Student
Thank you everyone, this was definitely re-assuring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending