The Student Room Group

Did anyone get into Medicine with an Access to HE Science/ or Medicine Diploma?

I am a mature student and my wish is to enter medical school in 2024.

I moved to the UK three years ago and did my IGCSE in Maths and English First Language and applied to a few colleges around me for Access to HE courses. I also started studying for the UCAT. I did research a bit and there are a handful of Uni's I found that say on their website, that they don't mind applications from people with Access to HE Diplomas, as long as the subject is Science or Medicine. Bristol even says Psychology would be okay.

My question is: Did anyone ever get into an undergraduate medicine with an Access to HE Diploma?
Hi, I've moved your thread to the medicine forum :smile:

So in general, people can get onto medicine courses with access courses, but medical schools are quite choosy about which ones they accept. Usually each medical school will have a set list of Access to Medicine (note: not science usually) courses they accept from specific providers (as those are the ones they accept contain all the necessary content for their degree). I would recommend reaching out to the medical school(s) in question that you are interested in applying to and asking if the specific Access to HE courses you are considering are accepted (noting the provider of that course and if relevant the course content).

In general the impression I get is that for Access courses other than Access to Medicine, they can be accepted but will usually expect you to take one or two science A-levels alongside - which is often difficult to organise for various reasons.
You should do the access to medicine course at the College of West Anglia. It has the highest rate of success and is the most widely accepted. 8/9 of my class got offers from places: Exeter, Kent and Medway, Cambridge, Liverpool, Lancaster, Edinburgh. I am the only one without an offer, due to my UCAT and BMAT. I am reapplying for 2024 entry, all of my class got distinctions all round, owing to the standard of teaching, guidance and push of the teachers.

If you earn under £30,000, the college can pay £450 towards the cost of your rent during term time. I came into my own on this course, being surrounded by driven people.

I sing the praises to the quality of the course and teachers.
Original post by Max Sirius 2
You should do the access to medicine course at the College of West Anglia. It has the highest rate of success and is the most widely accepted. 8/9 of my class got offers from places: Exeter, Kent and Medway, Cambridge, Liverpool, Lancaster, Edinburgh. I am the only one without an offer, due to my UCAT and BMAT. I am reapplying for 2024 entry, all of my class got distinctions all round, owing to the standard of teaching, guidance and push of the teachers.

If you earn under £30,000, the college can pay £450 towards the cost of your rent during term time. I came into my own on this course, being surrounded by driven people.

I sing the praises to the quality of the course and teachers.

hi, do you know any other universities that accept access to medicine course for medicine?
These are the medical schools that do not accept the access to medicine course: Sunderland, Edge Hill, Imperial, Plymouth, Cambridge (My classmate had 3 A*'s and was accepted on this basis), Cardiff, Oxford (They do consider the access to medicine course but check to be sure), Brunel (New), Surrey (New), all Scottish medical schools except Edinburgh and Dundee (Maybe).

All medical schools besides the ones mentioned above accept the access to medicine course.
Original post by KyanPheonix
These are the medical schools that do not accept the access to medicine course: Sunderland, Edge Hill, Imperial, Plymouth, Cambridge (My classmate had 3 A*'s and was accepted on this basis), Cardiff, Oxford (They do consider the access to medicine course but check to be sure), Brunel (New), Surrey (New), all Scottish medical schools except Edinburgh and Dundee (Maybe).

All medical schools besides the ones mentioned above accept the access to medicine course.

omg thank you for letting me know, do you think its wise doing the access to medicine course to get into medicine or not? Have you had personal experience bc im thinking of enrolling into a course in september with Richmond Upon Thames College.
(Original post by anonymous0060)omg thank you for letting me know, do you think its wise doing the access to medicine course to get into medicine or not? Have you had personal experience bc im thinking of enrolling into a course in september with Richmond Upon Thames College.

Do not go anywhere, go to a college that has a proven history of getting students into medical school. Certain places will be eager to take your money but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, if it is not a new course and the teachers are not invested in your success you will flounder.

I would recommend, the College of West Anglia, I did this course and 8 out of 9 students got offers for medical school. It is the longest running and the course is well organised, everyone in my class got distinctions in all graded units and passes in the ungraded units. If you earn under £30,000 per annum, the college can pay £450 per month towards your rent during term time. Thankfully, the course, is now 3 days a week, you are tested through end of assignment exams, assignments and a project report. Do not take chances with an access course, do the best quality one, because there is a vested interest on both sides for you to succeed, for yourself and the college's reputation, you are around driven people, so if you are to doddle, you will be the odd one out.
Original post by KyanPheonix
(Original post by anonymous0060)omg thank you for letting me know, do you think its wise doing the access to medicine course to get into medicine or not? Have you had personal experience bc im thinking of enrolling into a course in september with Richmond Upon Thames College.

Do not go anywhere, go to a college that has a proven history of getting students into medical school. Certain places will be eager to take your money but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, if it is not a new course and the teachers are not invested in your success you will flounder.

I would recommend, the College of West Anglia, I did this course and 8 out of 9 students got offers for medical school. It is the longest running and the course is well organised, everyone in my class got distinctions in all graded units and passes in the ungraded units. If you earn under £30,000 per annum, the college can pay £450 per month towards your rent during term time. Thankfully, the course, is now 3 days a week, you are tested through end of assignment exams, assignments and a project report. Do not take chances with an access course, do the best quality one, because there is a vested interest on both sides for you to succeed, for yourself and the college's reputation, you are around driven people, so if you are to doddle, you will be the odd one out.

where did the students get offers from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending