The Student Room Group

Access to medicine (he)

How does the process of applying to the course work following GCSEs, do you apply with predicted grades if you haven't received them yet, or apply after, thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by LJ1989
How does the process of applying to the course work following GCSEs, do you apply with predicted grades if you haven't received them yet, or apply after, thanks in advance

Hi, although I didn't do an Access to Medicine course, I did do an Access to Science course which has got me 4/4 offers for medicine. Firstly, I just want to ask if you are a school leaver or a mature student? Most Access to HE providers only take students who are 19 or older. I would recommend that you sit your GCSEs first and then apply for the access to medicine. I believe to meet most entry requirements for the access course, you need 5 GCSEs at Grade 6-9, including English language, maths, and sciences. You would also have to consider preparing to sit the UCAT before starting the Access course as the last testing date is the end of September (give yourself plenty of time for this as having a competitive score means you are more likely to be interviewed at some unis).

To give yourself the best shot of having a successful application, I would recommend doing the following:

Sit at least 5 GCSEs and achieve Grades 6-9 in English language, maths, and sciences if you do not have these already.

Apply to study the Access course with your predicted grades to start in the next academic year

Visit the UCAT Website (https://www.ucat.ac.uk/) to familiarise yourself with the format of the test and also to note down important dates. Bookings for the UCAT usually open in May so I would recommend starting preparing for this a month or two before and when bookings open, pick a date that is convenient for you.

Sit the UCAT before commencing the Access course.

Start your personal statement in the summer once you sit all your GCSE Exams.

I hope this helps but if anything is unclear and you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them 😁
Reply 2
Thankyou SOO much for this! I am a mature student, currently self studying GCSEs (maths English And all 3 sciences) so not sure how predicted grades would work for this...
How long does the ucat score last before you have to take it again? If the access course starts in September and is 12 months, would I have to take the Ucat again to apply to medical schools when applications open (I have no idea when applications open or how you go about applying if the access course hasn't yet finished)
Reply 3
Original post by Aspyre_
Hi, although I didn't do an Access to Medicine course, I did do an Access to Science course which has got me 4/4 offers for medicine. Firstly, I just want to ask if you are a school leaver or a mature student? Most Access to HE providers only take students who are 19 or older. I would recommend that you sit your GCSEs first and then apply for the access to medicine. I believe to meet most entry requirements for the access course, you need 5 GCSEs at Grade 6-9, including English language, maths, and sciences. You would also have to consider preparing to sit the UCAT before starting the Access course as the last testing date is the end of September (give yourself plenty of time for this as having a competitive score means you are more likely to be interviewed at some unis).
To give yourself the best shot of having a successful application, I would recommend doing the following:

Sit at least 5 GCSEs and achieve Grades 6-9 in English language, maths, and sciences if you do not have these already.

Apply to study the Access course with your predicted grades to start in the next academic year

Visit the UCAT Website (https://www.ucat.ac.uk/) to familiarise yourself with the format of the test and also to note down important dates. Bookings for the UCAT usually open in May so I would recommend starting preparing for this a month or two before and when bookings open, pick a date that is convenient for you.

Sit the UCAT before commencing the Access course.

Start your personal statement in the summer once you sit all your GCSE Exams.

I hope this helps but if anything is unclear and you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them 😁

I don't have much clue of the correct timeline to do these things with being out of education in such a long time
I did an access course. You do your UCAT the summer before you start the access course in September.
Reply 5
Original post by Petiteroseary
I did an access course. You do your UCAT the summer before you start the access course in September.

So straight after GCSEs then basically
Original post by LJ1989
So straight after GCSEs then basically

In your situation yes, but you can always double check this by phoning/ emailing the access course you’re applying to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending