The Student Room Group

Radiography degree without science a level ?

So I’m 26 and wanting to go back to uni to study radiography. I already have a previous degree but want to retrain as I really want to get into healthcare. Originally I wanted to study radiography but I didn’t do any science a levels, I did mostly essay based a levels. I’m wanting to know if there’s anyway I could still do radiography as a degree or should I look into something else like nursing? I looked into access courses but they mostly still require a science a level to be considered. I would be prepared to possibly do a foundation year but being a mature student I’m apprehensive about taking a further 2 years to get the relevant a levels and also have no idea how I’d even do this at my age. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this and what I should do next?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by justagxrl
So I’m 26 and wanting to go back to uni to study radiography. I already have a previous degree but want to retrain as I really want to get into healthcare. Originally I wanted to study radiography but I didn’t do any science a levels, I did mostly essay based a levels. I’m wanting to know if there’s anyway I could still do radiography as a degree or should I look into something else like nursing? I looked into access courses but they mostly still require a science a level to be considered. I would be prepared to possibly do a foundation year but being a mature student I’m apprehensive about taking a further 2 years to get the relevant a levels and also have no idea how I’d even do this at my age. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this and what I should do next?

What subjects did you do at A level? Some diagnostic radiography courses accept psychology as the science A level.

With regards to Access courses, they shouldn't have any A level entry requirements as they are designed for people who haven't got any or the right level 3 qualifications. Check what type of Access courses are accepted by the unis you would apply to for DR and then use the course seach function on the Access to HE webpage:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

For example, the following distance learning courses for radiography and health and social care don't have set entry requirements:

https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/course/access-to-he-diploma/radiography/
https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/course/access-to-he-diploma/social-care-health/
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
I'm in a similar situation, I know Plymouth Uni counts A Level geography as a science. Does anyone know as a mature student whether it is better to do a foundation year at uni or an access course? I'm thinking of applying to uni during clearing because there is a demand for radiographers and I hope places on uni courses!
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
What subjects did you do at A level? Some diagnostic radiography courses accept psychology as the science A level.

With regards to Access courses, they shouldn't have any A level entry requirements as they are designed for people who haven't got any or the right level 3 qualifications. Check what type of Access courses are accepted by the unis you would apply to for DR and then use the course seach function on the Access to HE webpage:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

For example, the following distance learning courses for radiography and health and social care don't have set entry requirements:

https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/course/access-to-he-diploma/radiography/
https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/course/access-to-he-diploma/social-care-health/
I did nothing science related at all. I did English lit, English lang and history. I did a psychology AS but obviously not a full a level.
Thank you for the info on access courses. I will look into this as for some reason I thought that you could only apply to access courses through the uni directly so they are the only ones I looked at. Idk why this didn’t occur to me lol so thank you.
Original post by am3liab
I'm in a similar situation, I know Plymouth Uni counts A Level geography as a science. Does anyone know as a mature student whether it is better to do a foundation year at uni or an access course? I'm thinking of applying to uni during clearing because there is a demand for radiographers and I hope places on uni courses!

Either a foundation year (if it is offered by the uni you want to attend) or an Access course are both acceptable but it might be cheaper to do an Access course. Although DR courses do appear in clearing they are snapped up quite quickly. You will still be interviewed and expected to have shadowing experience and public-facing work experience.
Reply 5
Original post by am3liab
I don’t even have geography unfortunately. The unis I’m interested in don’t seem to offer foundation years for radiography as I’m trying to stay local, hence why I was looking into access courses
I think an access course is more similar to a college course/ a level whereas a foundation year is basically university level.
I’m going to try and apply through clearing too and contact some of the admissions teams to find out what my options are. I think if you can do a foundation year it might be your best bet as you’re guaranteed a place on the course afterwards.
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
Either a foundation year (if it is offered by the uni you want to attend) or an Access course are both acceptable but it might be cheaper to do an Access course. Although DR courses do appear in clearing they are snapped up quite quickly. You will still be interviewed and expected to have shadowing experience and public-facing work experience.
So I don’t think I fully understood how access courses work. Should I contact the uni directly to see if they’ll accept an access course in place of a science a level?
Also how can I go about getting shadowing experience? I have experience in public-facing roles and have done social work volunteering but nothing healthcare related.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by justagxrl
So I don’t think I fully understood how access courses work. Should I contact the uni directly to see if they’ll accept an access course in place of a science a level?
Also how can I go about getting shadowing experience? I have experience in public-facing roles and have done social work volunteering but nothing healthcare related.

An Access to HE Diploma is the equivalent of three A levels and the majority of unis will accept them. Check the entry requirements section on the DR course page of uni websites - they will state what Access courses are acceptable for the course. For example, Uni of Herts states 'Access diploma should be Health care or science based'.

For shadowing experience, contact your local hospital and ask if you can shadow a radiographer for a day or half day.

Quick Reply

Latest