The Student Room Group

Article: Essential free software for students

So you’ve bought a laptop for uni but don’t want to fork out hundreds of pounds for the essential software.Why not try these free alternatives?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=17323-Essential-Free-Software-for-students
Comment to let us know what we've missed :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd personally never suggest GIMP. It's a poor substitute for Photoshop and I dislike it immensely. I'd take Paint.NET over it. There is a web alternative to Photoshop (http://pixlr.com/editor/) not too shabby.

That said, I'd suggest sneaking in Malwarebytes along side Avast!. That way you take care of both the AV and Malware/Adware side of things.
Original post by A5ko
I'd personally never suggest GIMP. It's a poor substitute for Photoshop and I dislike it immensely. I'd take Paint.NET over it. There is a web alternative to Photoshop (http://pixlr.com/editor/) not too shabby.

That said, I'd suggest sneaking in Malwarebytes along side Avast!. That way you take care of both the AV and Malware/Adware side of things.

I rate Paint.NET highly too, I've been using it for years and it has always done what I wanted it too.
Any notable antiviruses other than Avast to use? I'm getting fed up of mcafee taking up too much of my PC's resources.
Also is Avast any good, and is it lightweight? (i.e. light on system resources)
Reply 4
I wouldn't suggest using Avast as an anti-virus, it's free,but it's not very good. There are a LOT of other free anti-virus software out there which are better and less annoying. Personally I use Microsoft Security Essentials, it's worked for me so far, but in terms of viruses, just browse the internet intelligently and think about what you're downloading first, or what sites you're viewing, and you should be fine.
I like microsoft one note, I use that on my mac and iPhone. :smile:
Original post by Gogregg
I wouldn't suggest using Avast as an anti-virus, it's free,but it's not very good. There are a LOT of other free anti-virus software out there which are better and less annoying. Personally I use Microsoft Security Essentials, it's worked for me so far, but in terms of viruses, just browse the internet intelligently and think about what you're downloading first, or what sites you're viewing, and you should be fine.

What about AVG Free, would that be any good? Has a couple of recommendations to use AVG from other people.

Also need an AV that is very lightweight for my old XP machine - currently have Avira Antivirus on it, want something better but only have 1GB RAM total.

Will also try out MSE as I have had it with McAffee, hogging my processor!
Reply 7
Original post by spotify95
What about AVG Free, would that be any good? Has a couple of recommendations to use AVG from other people.

Also need an AV that is very lightweight for my old XP machine - currently have Avira Antivirus on it, want something better but only have 1GB RAM total.

Honestly, I'm not the most knowledgeable about the topic, but it should be fine.
Original post by Gogregg
Honestly, I'm not the most knowledgeable about the topic, but it should be fine.

Okay, maybe I should ask other people then! :biggrin: Thanks for the advice :smile:

Time is running out for Windows XP machines, definition updates ran out three days ago for Microsoft Security Essentials for XP.
I don't know many Anti Virus software packages, which are good, that support XP.
It's not really a worth investment for them as there are so many security holes now, with no security updates or hotfixes, you're asking for problems.

If you're using Vista or later, I recommend Kaspersky, it's one of the only good ones I've seen, besides ESET.
The only free AV I would recommend is MSE.
Original post by Jared44
Time is running out for Windows XP machines, definition updates ran out three days ago for Microsoft Security Essentials for XP.
I don't know many Anti Virus software packages, which are good, that support XP.
It's not really a worth investment for them as there are so many security holes now, with no security updates or hotfixes, you're asking for problems.

If you're using Vista or later, I recommend Kaspersky, it's one of the only good ones I've seen, besides ESET.
The only free AV I would recommend is MSE.

Thanks for the advice - other people had told me about Kaspersky so when my mcafee runs out I may well give that a go! :smile:

As for windows XP... need it for compatibility issues; some of my programs/games won't run on windows 7 whatsoever (yet they work fine on XP).
Thanks for the advice - other people had told me about Kaspersky so when my mcafee runs out I may well give that a go! :smile:

As for windows XP... need it for compatibility issues; some of my programs/games won't run on windows 7 whatsoever (yet they work fine on XP).

Do you need to use the internet for it?
You could dual boot it rather than using two computers, it would be far better to do so.
Original post by Jared44
Do you need to use the internet for it?
You could dual boot it rather than using two computers, it would be far better to do so.

But this laptop didn`t come with a windows disc so how am I supposed to get windows XP onto my main laptop to dual boot?
(edited 8 years ago)
But this laptop didn;t come with a windows disc so how am I supposed to get windows XP onto my main laptop to dual boot?

If you know the product key, you can download an iso file of XP online, boot it to a USB stick and install it that way.
Good alternatives to Office are both Google Drive and Kingsoft Office. Better yet, both have apps if you're not on a laptop.

Google Notes is also pretty good as a general note-keeping tool if you're on mobile/tablet, although I haven't really used it outside of list organisation.

Original post by A5ko

I'd second that. Malwarebytes are really good.
Original post by Jared44
If you know the product key, you can download an iso file of XP online, boot it to a USB stick and install it that way.

But will this mean that I can no longer use my old laptop/it will come up saying invalid windows?

Further, will dual booting cause any issues with my current windows 7 OS?

I'd rather err on the side of caution...
Any notable antiviruses other than Avast to use? I'm getting fed up of mcafee taking up too much of my PC's resources.
Also is Avast any good, and is it lightweight? (i.e. light on system resources)

If you want a lightweight AV - Avast is great, the Pro version is even better and only costs around £20 for a 1 year subscription. You should use it alongside Malwarebytes. Those two are usually enough to keep your computer running fine.

edit: others have recommended the same:yy:
(edited 8 years ago)
100% agree with using Paint.NET, it's always done the job for me. I mainly use Microsoft Security Essentials (surprisingly good) and MalwareBytes for security, plus a NoScript plugin to block any hidden scripts online.

Also, get Audacity for sound editing, it's really precise and effective.
There's a missing space in the second paragraph of the Office section, between 'Office' and 'is'.
But will this mean that I can no longer use my old laptop/it will come up saying invalid windows?

Further, will dual booting cause any issues with my current windows 7 OS?

I'd rather err on the side of caution...

You cannot run multiple versions of Windows with the same license, so yes, you cannot use it on both machines.

No, two separate operating systems in different partitions, both isolated from one another, no problems should occur.

Original post by getfunky!
If you want a lightweight AV - Avast is great, the Pro version is even better and only costs around £20 for a 1 year subscription. You should use it alongside Malwarebytes. Those two are usually enough to keep your computer running fine.

edit: others have recommended the same:yy:

You couldn't pay me to use Avast, it's garbage. The download link on their website is an advertising redirect, says a lot to me.
There aren't many anti virus programs I recommend, only a couple.
A vast certainly isn't one of them.
Kaspersky is the best one, it costs but you tend to get what you pay for.
Don't know many people who have had problems with it.
I'm on multiple tech support forums and I usually see Avast, AVG or Bitdefender causing issues.
Not so much Norton, probably because people have found information about it before installing it, as recommend by pcworld. Symantec must pay them a lot for advertising their ****.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending