The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SJB215
Because I'm a big football fan, UCL reminds me of Uefa Champions League. So with little knowledge about either that is the one I'd go for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:facepalm:
lol though
Reply 21
Original post by Chiefe
is this a wise decision? I got offers from them and both course within the built environment; Construction management and Spatial design

for the longest time I was confident on UCL but since recently I began looking beyond the name and more in the content of each courses.... so do you think it's a good idea to reject UCL for UAL?

I briefly attended UCL, don't get why it's so hyped. You sit in a lecture hall and listen to some guy talk. Same as at UEL. The area is crap (Euston) full of druggies and noisy and half the buildings are old and dilapidated, halls were like £200 a week, Campus was rambling, lectures in random houses on random streets, the students had a massive stick up their arse because it's UCL, students were loaded which is bad because they constantly went on expensive trips and to expensive bars that made me left out, the students are mostly international and they never liked to integrate, They had stupid rules like forcing you to attend all lectures, making the first year count and failing you if you failed even a first year module that was unrelated to your course. It was an all round **** experience honestly. UEL will be a lot more laid back, you will probably have more in common with the students and they won't be annoyingly overcompetitive. It's a proper campus and closed off so no druggies. It's in a very quiet part of London. What I am saying is please go to UEL IF you personally prefer it. Don't be blinded by prestige. A happy person with a UEL degree is better than a sad person with a prestigious degree or even none because they hated it and failed.
Reply 22
what is UEL? do you mean UAL? sorry lol
Original post by Plutonian
I briefly attended UCL, don't get why it's so hyped. You sit in a lecture hall and listen to some guy talk. Same as at UEL. The area is crap (Euston) full of druggies and noisy and half the buildings are old and dilapidated, halls were like £200 a week, Campus was rambling, lectures in random houses on random streets, the students had a massive stick up their arse because it's UCL, students were loaded which is bad because they constantly went on expensive trips and to expensive bars that made me left out, the students are mostly international and they never liked to integrate, They had stupid rules like forcing you to attend all lectures, making the first year count and failing you if you failed even a first year module that was unrelated to your course. It was an all round **** experience honestly. UEL will be a lot more laid back, you will probably have more in common with the students and they won't be annoyingly overcompetitive. It's a proper campus and closed off so no druggies. It's in a very quiet part of London. What I am saying is please go to UEL IF you personally prefer it. Don't be blinded by prestige. A happy person with a UEL degree is better than a sad person with a prestigious degree or even none because they hated it and failed.

I went to a crap uni in London and everything you describe is what it was like for me, so there really isn't any more chilled out at UAL. Nothing is perfect except photos and promotional media and that's designed to attract you. University is what you make it. I visited UCL once as my friend was studying engineering there and it was far more friendly than my university, and that's just visiting once. UCL is far more academic whilst else where you'll get attitudes of wanna be rappers and bull****ters when at UCL these people will be the next leaders of industry. If you look on student pad you'll be able to find a room for £300/400 and the underground is really cheap and accessible. I know I speak in hindsight but London is international as is UCL and expensive bars you'll judt have to make your excuses if you can't afford it. You mention a stick up their asses when at ****ter uni's everyone is depressed because the uni is crap, they will be overcompetitive but their competition will be ****e . Euston is a good area, with lot's of quirky unique shops and that. You really need to go to a crap uni to appreciate somewhere like UCL.
Original post by Chiefe
what is UEL? do you mean UAL? sorry lol

UEL is the University of East London and didn't understand UAL meant the University of the Arts, London which could be the London College of Fashion / or Communication.

Another thing is The Bartlett is a satellite campus round the corner by it's self. The community will be smaller there.
Reply 26
Original post by Protagoras
I went to a crap uni in London and everything you describe is what it was like for me, so there really isn't any more chilled out at UAL. Nothing is perfect except photos and promotional media and that's designed to attract you. University is what you make it. I visited UCL once as my friend was studying engineering there and it was far more friendly than my university, and that's just visiting once. UCL is far more academic whilst else where you'll get attitudes of wanna be rappers and bull****ters when at UCL these people will be the next leaders of industry. If you look on student pad you'll be able to find a room for £300/400 and the underground is really cheap and accessible. I know I speak in hindsight but London is international as is UCL and expensive bars you'll judt have to make your excuses if you can't afford it. You mention a stick up their asses when at ****ter uni's everyone is depressed because the uni is crap, they will be overcompetitive but their competition will be ****e . Euston is a good area, with lot's of quirky unique shops and that. You really need to go to a crap uni to appreciate somewhere like UCL.

You are clearly blinded by prestige. You visited UCL once, I studied and lived there for a year, who is more well informed here?
Reply 27
Original post by Protagoras
Another thing is The Bartlett is a satellite campus round the corner by it's self. The community will be smaller there.

The Bartlett isn't a satellite campus it's a tiny 60s block off the Euston Road dual carriageway.
You are clearly blinded by prestige. You visited UCL once, I studied and lived there for a year, who is more well informed here?

No not at all. I went to a crap uni for three years so I'm also informed. My uni no-one turned up for lectures ever, or prepared and was rubbish to plan group work with. I used to turn up every morning at 9 and the library was empty until 12 then the place erupted with people chatting crap about what they are going to do with their pay at their graduate job, sitting on facebook and never doing work. It was HORRENDOUS, to be polite, they all talked lik dis fam innit G. I know London is an international and multicultural place but this place was like a refugee camp. The foreign students constantly told me how amazing they were for studying in England. My point is nothing is amazing but UCL over anything else anyday, trust me. OP should go on instinct but his gut must be telling him that UCL is the sound choice to UAL.

The top unis are were all the money is pumped into so why not go there.
Original post by trapking
Replies above just sum up TSR and its juveniles ^

OP this is the worst place to ask that question, go with your gut instinct and pick what you enjoy most.

In my opinion, that is not great advice in this context.

Speaking as someone who graduated a few years ago now, OP, most employers care twiddly dick about the course content on your degree. Nobody ever got fired for buying an IBM, and nobody ever got fired for hiring a UCL grad. The way the graduate employment market is right now, this should speak strongly to you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Current planning student here, and I second your points.

The faculty is like the United Nations comprised of loaded kids who have no interest whatsoever in integrating. Atmosphere is generally faceless and cutthroat. Most people say they are there simply just for the UCL brand. It's an okay place if you are work oriented, but for anyone looking for a typical university experience maybe not the best option.
OP, if you are work-oriented and ignore most of the bull**** around you such as asians with money to spend, and find somewhere quiet at times like the London Library to go study (in a really posh area of St. James) then you should be fine. This is London and there is a lot of people who all want some attention but you have be focused on those that are important to you i.e. your close friends other than that ignore everyone else.

The University of London Union is in the same area so you'll get all the SOAS and Birkbeck students and so do your networking and you'll have lot's of acquaintances.
Original post by xleoanimusx
UCL master race tbh :adore:

lol ok m8. most unis are better than UAL
Original post by TurboCretin
In my opinion, that is not great advice in this context.

Speaking as someone who graduated a few years ago now, OP, most employers care twiddly dick about the course content on your degree. Nobody ever got fired for buying an IBM, and nobody ever got fired for hiring a UCL grad. The way the graduate employment market is right now, this should speak strongly to you.

Blah blah blah. Sick of hearing this it is not the only way to sucess you know.

I cant wait to see the day on this forum where people can actually choose what they like best without having to be critisized on their choice. If OP likes the course better at UAL then who cares about UCL...so what if it is "well known" in X industry. Pick what you love, do your best at it...you are more likely to be motivated in what you do if youre doing what you love at a place you love.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by trapking
Blah blah blah. Sick of hearing this it is not the only way to sucess you know.

I cant wait to see the day on this forum where people can actually choose what they like best without having to be critisized on their choice. If OP likes the course better at UAL then who cares about UCL...so what if it is "well known" in X industry. Pick what you love, do your best at it...you are more likely to be motivated in what you do if youre doing what you love at a place you love.

i think that sums up everything nicely :wink: Thank you. I think I've made my choice kinda.. UAL it is :biggrin: that said I'm torn just by the thought of rejecting UCL and I know my friends will call me an idiot for the next 10 years but who gives a flying ****** lol

Thanks guys
It is your life and you do as you wish, this thread is debating one of the realities of being employed in this country. You can study accounting and finance at London Met or at the London School of Economics and Political Science, both courses are in accounting and finance and both in London, just two very (very) different career paths / worlds.

You did say you didn't have your results yet, so when you do you might not have the chance to go to UCL but it is good that you are thinking about it.

Project management can seem rather mechanical and would suit someone with a-levels in mathematics and economics with ICT (and accounting or business). It can seem rather black and white, analysing numbers on a spreadsheet and something must be telling you that being creative is more you. You could excel at project management, you just need to get the knack for it. In a funny way you can find art in something like mathematics. It would be great if you played Lego as a kid as it is like watching a real-life lego building in a funny sort-of way, and the reward will be very real and in front of you.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be try to have a 5 minute telephone conversation with 3-4 construction project managers just to get something from them about their careers.

Once you get towards becoming a partner in a firm you could pursue an executive MBA at Oxford or the London Business School.

Other than working on skyscrapers in the UAE or Bahrain, you could do something grand designs-esque and helping people build their dream homes.

[video="youtube;5vStHoQJSvc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vStHoQJSvc[/video]

It looks like a busy career, not just melting in front of a computer, there is lot's of meetings and site visits and talking with a lot of different people. I would be most excited about the international opportunities and working in warmer, more exotic climates.

Spatial design does look fascinating and it is two different careers altogether, so do your research and go with your heart. The London College of Communication is a fascinating place so you'll have a great time whatever you choose to do.
UCL master race tbh :adore:

Nah mate.
It was so easy for me to give UCL up :redface:

Still a great uni tho I mean it was my firm for a reason.
Original post by SiminaM
Nah mate.
It was so easy for me to give UCL up :redface:

Still a great uni tho I mean it was my firm for a reason.

You're not going?
You're not going?

Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39

where you going instead (if you don't mind me asking?) I'm not going too not :u:
don't know how to swap firm for insurance though

Latest

Trending

Trending