The Student Room Group

QS 2023 ranking Art Degrees

Hi everyone, I am really surprised to see UCL ranks #42 for Art given the reputation and selectivity of the Slade School. Any view on why? Views on UAL Camberwell vs Slade (for painting)?
Original post by Bisounours
Hi everyone, I am really surprised to see UCL ranks #42 for Art given the reputation and selectivity of the Slade School. Any view on why? Views on UAL Camberwell vs Slade (for painting)?

Considering that slade’s graduates go on to be a part of some the elite circles of the art world, the ranking baffles me too. I mean, it is understandable if the ranking falls down by a few numbers but 42 is ridiculous. Is the ranking a true reflection of Slade’s curriculum?
(edited 1 year ago)
As for my opinion on which institution has a better painting department, I would definitely vouch for Slade. They have a very strong painting cohort and some of the most interesting practicing artists also teach there; for example one of the tutors Onya McCausland who happen to generate her own pigments sourced from the mining fields in and around uk. But it is also important to consider the pedagogy principles of these schools: Slade has a non-modular method of teaching and as far as I am aware, Camberwell has a modular approach (CSM does too), meaning, the latter has project briefs laid out for you and has an educational structure while the former doesn’t. Camberwell’s tuition fee is also cheaper (for international students, I am not sure about home students).
Slade is tiny in terms of scale compared to most art schools/universities.
The QS ranking is based primarily on a survey of academic staff around the world. Size matters for things like this.

I wouldn’t put weight on a ranking of art schools that’s constructed like the QS rankings. It won’t tell you anything relevant to student experience
(edited 1 year ago)
https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007784/UBFFINSING05/Full-time/ This is more relevant information for prospective students
Reply 5
Original post by unchosenhunter
As for my opinion on which institution has a better painting department, I would definitely vouch for Slade. They have a very strong painting cohort and some of the most interesting practicing artists also teach there; for example one of the tutors Onya McCausland who happen to generate her own pigments sourced from the mining fields in and around uk. But it is also important to consider the pedagogy principles of these schools: Slade has a non-modular method of teaching and as far as I am aware, Camberwell has a modular approach (CSM does too), meaning, the latter has project briefs laid out for you and has an educational structure while the former doesn’t. Camberwell’s tuition fee is also cheaper (for international students, I am not sure about home students).

Thanks interesting. Re your point on non modular teaching my understanding is that you pick your speciality (painting, sculpture,..)by end of first term. If you chose painting, wouldn’t that be the equivalent of doing painting from the start at Camberwell with a BA Painting?
When you say briefs are laid out for students, what’s the balance of self initiated work (self directed?) and working to more specific briefs? The course description is actually quite vague…
Are you talking from experience of the course or your own research? Either way, thanks for sharing your views!
Original post by Bisounours
Thanks interesting. Re your point on non modular teaching my understanding is that you pick your speciality (painting, sculpture,..)by end of first term. If you chose painting, wouldn’t that be the equivalent of doing painting from the start at Camberwell with a BA Painting?
When you say briefs are laid out for students, what’s the balance of self initiated work (self directed?) and working to more specific briefs? The course description is actually quite vague…
Are you talking from experience of the course or your own research? Either way, thanks for sharing your views!

When I say non-modular, I mean, in Slade the entire studio practice is self initiated. You will have a lot of tutorial sessions and feedback from the staff, visiting lectures etc but the work that you do is not a set task assigned by the university for you. Therefore, you have the freedom to base you work on entirely anything and everything. I’ve also been told that you work towards only one deadline in an entire year , which are your end of the year display projects. So as you can see, it’s completely self initiated through and through. CSM on the other hand has project briefs and several deadlines to check up on you, so I am assuming that’s how Camberwell is too. I may be wrong because I never looked into Camberwell for my applications. I agree that the course description is vague too; I’ve applied to the Slade for the 2023 intake and I’m just telling you things based off my research.
Does anyone have an opinion which one is better: RCA or Slade?
Reply 8
Original post by SaraMariers
Does anyone have an opinion which one is better: RCA or Slade?

I think it depends on what you're looking for, but for me Slade was never in the running. I've not left any of their shows over the past 5 or 6 years feeling particularly wowed or engaged (bar a few individual exceptions), plus various friends who've graduated from there seem to have either stagnated a bit or moved to other fields (and/or been unhappy while there). There are some notable recent(ish) Slade grads who are doing great things though, but I feel they'd have smashed it wherever they'd have gone.

I think it's ultimately what you want from a place yourself, as each institution has its own unique culture (for lack of a better term) and different strengths. There's plenty of issues with the RCA as well (I think MA Fashion just had protest, for example), although I find their graduation shows to be in a different class entirely.
Original post by nemain
I think it depends on what you're looking for, but for me Slade was never in the running. I've not left any of their shows over the past 5 or 6 years feeling particularly wowed or engaged (bar a few individual exceptions), plus various friends who've graduated from there seem to have either stagnated a bit or moved to other fields (and/or been unhappy while there). There are some notable recent(ish) Slade grads who are doing great things though, but I feel they'd have smashed it wherever they'd have gone.

I think it's ultimately what you want from a place yourself, as each institution has its own unique culture (for lack of a better term) and different strengths. There's plenty of issues with the RCA as well (I think MA Fashion just had protest, for example), although I find their graduation shows to be in a different class entirely.

What do you think about slade in comparison to csm for undergrad.
Reply 10
Original post by unchosenhunter
What do you think about slade in comparison to csm for undergrad.

I'd pick Slade over UAL any day. From a fine art perspective, UAL has its own share of incredible tutors across each College, but the wider UAL organisation is just cramming as many students in as possible, leaving staff over-stretched (and very stressed) and studio spaces are getting smaller and smaller. Slade still has great studio space last I heard, and this is absolutely vital imo.

I'm honestly surprised to see UAL holding onto its place in these rankings tbh; it's become a conveyor belt degree factory, and it's a crying shame as the individual Colleges were all great in their own right. :frown:
Original post by nemain

Thank you so much, that was really helpful and insightful!

I’ve pretty much decided on RCA, deposit paid and paperwork started:smile: Mostly with the same reasoning: I seem to resonate more with the work that’s coming out of RCA rather than the Slade, which again could be just personal preference.

I still get second thoughts every time I get an email from UCL. I still think it’s a great program and the application experience (apart from the fact it took absolute ages to get a decision), in a way, left a better impression than RCA. Especially Slade’s interviews which were carried out with so much kindness and consideration.

Hope that someone will find that helpful x
Original post by nemain
I'd pick Slade over UAL any day. From a fine art perspective, UAL has its own share of incredible tutors across each College, but the wider UAL organisation is just cramming as many students in as possible, leaving staff over-stretched (and very stressed) and studio spaces are getting smaller and smaller. Slade still has great studio space last I heard, and this is absolutely vital imo.

I'm honestly surprised to see UAL holding onto its place in these rankings tbh; it's become a conveyor belt degree factory, and it's a crying shame as the individual Colleges were all great in their own right. :frown:

Yes 100% agree. In the topic of the thread, just as some of you, I was really surprised to see how the Slade was ranked- I expected them to be much higher in the QS World Ranking.

As for UAL, as far as I remember, there was once a petition going around UAL’s students (I believe even pre-Covid, but correct me if I’m wrong), where students claimed the world university ranking to be misleading and not representative of the quality of education they were receiving. To put it simply, they said UAL doesn’t deserve the 2nd place and the publicity that comes with it. That being said I also heard of people having amazing experience at UAL! So that’s that..

I guess that it all only shows that we shouldn’t base our decisions on world rankings but research further than that to find the best place for ourselves x
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
To begin with, QS is a higher education consulting company that works on branding and marketing of different University courses. They get paid by the universities to boost their brand name and market their courses, and the universities, in turn, get a lot of revenue from the student tuition. As such, the QS World Ranking appears to be somewhat questionable regarding reliable ranking, at least regarding MFA. Several Chinese universities are ranked on top over Yale and others. Please...
It is common knowledge that art talent recruiters scan the most competitive colleges looking for a new star to advertise on. It also depends on the fine arts category in which you are aiming to acquire a degree, and yes, the length of your studies counts as well.
(edited 11 months ago)
QS rankings, lol.
Reply 15
Original post by random_matt
QS rankings, lol.

I know, right?? It's a trap! ha

Quick Reply

Latest