The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Biosciences with Foundation Year at Sussex University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shmoops
Sam - 18 - decided to drop the gap year and go on Biosciences foundation year at Sussex utterly last minute, so I'm stuck without accomodation, and to top it all off I've only ever been to Brighton once...

Well we are all friendly here so it's super easy to make friends and you'll know the place in no time if you decide to come :-)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by JaffaOrange
Hey there, i'm about to start Biosciences with a foundation year!
Btw did anyone else's UCAS say that the course started on Sept 1 (I know it dosen't but I just thought it was really weird!) I managed to get accomadation in Lancaster house-Park houses (I don't know how good that is), anyone else in park houses?

Hello! Yeah I think they all do? Oh well done on getting accommodation!
By the way guys, I'm Genie (Georgina), I'm 20, lived in Brighton my whole life and after the bioscience foundation year I want to do Zoology :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Geniekittie
Sorry, didn't get notified of any more messages! I only got through book recommendations via email really, are you?

Oh yh I got that email :smile: Well anyway, I'm Alexandre - 19 and from London. Nice to meet you :smile:
Hi! I'm antonia I'm starting the bioscience foundation year too! Just wanted to find out how you're all preparing for the course
Really scared as well to start!
Original post by antoniaagunbiade
Hi! I'm antonia I'm starting the bioscience foundation year too! Just wanted to find out how you're all preparing for the course
Really scared as well to start!

Hey! Well obviously in an email there was recommended books but they were recommended to look at in advance to beginning and to read during the year but didn't seem a fundamental thing for prep. I guess we will get most info on our course induction next Wednesday!
Hey! Well obviously in an email there was recommended books but they were recommended to look at in advance to beginning and to read during the year but didn't seem a fundamental thing for prep. I guess we will get most info on our course induction next Wednesday!

Hey ^^
So I'm considering pretty strongly doing this course next year but I'm confused what it entails, is it basically just GCSE and A Level Bio/Chem for a year and then you go on to the 3 year BScs?

Because while my Chemistry isn't amazing, I really love Biology and got screwed over at GCSE by having my ISAs lost, so I couldn't do science for A Level! So if it's just GCSE and A Level in one year that sounds pretty good:biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by SkyRees
Hey ^^
So I'm considering pretty strongly doing this course next year but I'm confused what it entails, is it basically just GCSE and A Level Bio/Chem for a year and then you go on to the 3 year BScs?

Because while my Chemistry isn't amazing, I really love Biology and got screwed over at GCSE by having my ISAs lost, so I couldn't do science for A Level! So if it's just GCSE and A Level in one year that sounds pretty good:biggrin:

Yup, the course is basically centred around teaching you sufficient A-level grade Biology, chemistry, maths and lab technique in order for you to seamlessly integrate onto the 3 year BSc course of your choice
Original post by shmoops
Yup, the course is basically centred around teaching you sufficient A-level grade Biology, chemistry, maths and lab technique in order for you to seamlessly integrate onto the 3 year BSc course of your choice

A Level Maths sounds horrifying...I only got a C at GCSE o.o
So I see there are 6 modules. 4 of them are GCSE/A Level Biology and Chemistry, and one is just general study skills. The last is maths and stats, it seems.

How do you actually pass then? Because I feel like maths and some of Chemistry will be where I fall down, and it seems as though if I fail the foundation year I'm done for ;-;
Reply 29
Original post by SkyRees
A Level Maths sounds horrifying...I only got a C at GCSE o.o
So I see there are 6 modules. 4 of them are GCSE/A Level Biology and Chemistry, and one is just general study skills. The last is maths and stats, it seems.

How do you actually pass then? Because I feel like maths and some of Chemistry will be where I fall down, and it seems as though if I fail the foundation year I'm done for ;-;

The maths is barely even at GCSE level at the moment, and in order to pass the year you just need to get 55% overall in all your assessments as far as I am aware
Original post by shmoops
The maths is barely even at GCSE level at the moment, and in order to pass the year you just need to get 55% overall in all your assessments as far as I am aware

I'm almost certain that'll rise next year because that seems too easy but
You have no clue how reassured that makes me feel :laugh::biggrin:
Hey! Because I'm doing foundation and finished college last year with BCC in English and Art I got an unconditional offer a few months ago so I'm definitely doing it so I'm just waiting to go now! Well hopefully you'll get what you hope for!

Are you worried or scared that perhaps you won't pass and progress from the foundation year onto the actual 3 year degree course?

I've achieved BBC at A level and I'm applying to Sussex for Physics foundation year. Any advice since your already studying a foundation year course there at sussex uni? How are you finding the workload so far being 2 months into the course atm? Have you had any exams? Do they allow you to resit any exams i.e jan exams in june & resit june exams in august perhaps?
Hey did you get a conditional/unconditional offer from them?
Hey did you get a conditional/unconditional offer from them?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Are you worried or scared that perhaps you won't pass and progress from the foundation year onto the actual 3 year degree course?

I've achieved BBC at A level and I'm applying to Sussex for Physics foundation year. Any advice since your already studying a foundation year course there at sussex uni? How are you finding the workload so far being 2 months into the course atm? Have you had any exams? Do they allow you to resit any exams i.e jan exams in june & resit june exams in august perhaps?
Original post by mekdrek
Hey! I just went through clearing and now going to study bioscience (foundation) at sussex so really excited to already start getting to know all the people in my course :biggrin:

What A2 results did u get (if I may ask)? I want to know what their clearing entry requirements are since it's not stated on their website. Thanks
Reply 35
Hey, I got offered the Biosciences with foundation year too at Sussex, I just wondering if it'd be better to do Biology at a lower ranked uni or the foundation year at Sussex? My grades are not amazing but good enough to make it to somewhere like Hull or Bournemouth straight into the Bio course. I really wanna go to Sussex but this foundation year kinda brings me excitement down about it. What do you guys think? Also if you have done it whats your experience? Thanks :smile:
Original post by bensan
Hey, I got offered the Biosciences with foundation year too at Sussex, I just wondering if it'd be better to do Biology at a lower ranked uni or the foundation year at Sussex? My grades are not amazing but good enough to make it to somewhere like Hull or Bournemouth straight into the Bio course. I really wanna go to Sussex but this foundation year kinda brings me excitement down about it. What do you guys think? Also if you have done it whats your experience? Thanks :smile:

Hey there! My 2 cents'd be to go with whatever your gut tells you feels better--in the grand scheme of things, a year really isn't going to make all that much difference but then again, it's a year of your life and no one can tell you what to pick for sure but you. Looking at your post you said you really want to go to Sussex; if you've visited the campus/prefer the facilities there then I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alone in suggesting you do the foundation year and progress onto your desired course at Sussex. Of course, if you really don't want to spend that extra year at uni then make an informed choice about an alternative--I implore you not to make such a decision in haste! Personally, I opted for the biosciences foundation year route starting this Sept., but that's because my grade profile is tailored to Computing and Psychology, and I wanted a change of direction course-wise that the foundation year would offer. Also I loved the feel for the campus during an open day so it made the decision that much easier.

TL;DR:-
- Pick whatever institution feels better to you.
-If you're put off the foundation year solely because of the extra year of study then don't be.
-If you're set on choosing an alternative institution be certain to research their module breakdown thoroughly (as each uni will most likely differ somewhat in their course syllabus) and the facilities that they offer--visit them if at all possible!

Wish you the best man!! :smile:
Hey I'm not staying on site as I live 20 minutes away so didn't think it fair for me to take up any room! Yeah I'm starting the foundation in biosciences this year, that the same as you?

Hi im actually doing psychology foundation year ahaha, but i wont be living in the uni either, its nice to know im not the only one lol :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by mekdrek
Hey! I just went through clearing and now going to study bioscience (foundation) at sussex so really excited to already start getting to know all the people in my course :biggrin:

whats the lowest grades they accept for the foundation year through clearing.
Wicked guess I'll see you then!

Original post by 408655
Okies :smile:

Hi Gennie, could you tell me about the course,please?
I have an offer for biomedical sciences in Sussex and other unis and I don´t know what to do. It would be very helfull if you let me know about your experience. Is very hard to pass the exams or is more important the handworking?, Do you need to study very much?, what about job opportunities?
Thank you very much for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending