The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Uni with a Cert HE?

I am studying the foundation year on a Biomedicine course and will be able to go straight onto the first year after this, however I've been considering changing to a different course.

I've been told that if I change uni after this year,
rather progressing with the Biomed course, then I will receive a Cert He (subjects allied to Medicine).

I can't find any universities that ask for a Cert HE, everywhere I've looked asks for a levels, gcse's or an access course. Why is this? Can I apply for a course with a Cert HE rather than an access course?

Thanks
They will probably consider it. I'd suggest contacting any unis you wish to apply to beforehand to enquire about whether it meets their entry requirements. I expect it'll meet their requirements in general but if they require particular subjects to A-level or equivalent, it may or may not meet that requirement.

Note that having a CertHE may affect your entitlement to funding for a new course, under equivalent or lower level qualification (ELQ) rules; it is possible you might need to self fund tuition fees for first year as a result. I'd recommend checking this with SFE well in advance so you can make any necessary plans.
Cert HE is the equivalent of Year 1 of a University degree, not a Foundation course.

Most Universities will only accept Foundation courses from 'parallel' Universities - ie. those asking for the same grades for that main degree as they do. As above, you should contact each Uni with a full list of all your qualifications, and the link to your Foundation course on the Uni website and ask if this will be accepted for Year 1 entry.
Original post by McGinger
Cert HE is the equivalent of Year 1 of a University degree, not a Foundation course.

Most Universities will only accept Foundation courses from 'parallel' Universities - ie. those asking for the same grades for that main degree as they do. As above, you should contact each Uni with a full list of all your qualifications, and the link to your Foundation course on the Uni website and ask if this will be accepted for Year 1 entry.

I think the OP is referring to the Birkbeck CertHE Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine course, which is a standalone CertHE but also serves as the foundation year for their BSc Biomedicine degree. It's a bit of an oddity as a result, since it's one of the few (maybe the only) foundation years which you can also get a qualification from upon leaving it and not progressing to the main degree programme...
Original post by artful_lounger
Birkbeck CertHE Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine course,

Useful to know about - thanks.
Out of interest, did you change courses? What put you off carrying on with the biosciences? I too have been looking at the biosciences at Birkbeck!
Reply 6
Original post by italianlemons
Out of interest, did you change courses? What put you off carrying on with the biosciences? I too have been looking at the biosciences at Birkbeck!

Sorry for the exceptionally late reply!

I didn't end up changing, I actually ended up really enjoying the course and I'm now going into my final year. I have to say I've been very impressed with the teaching at Birkbeck and the course content has been very interesting. Did you end up taking a course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending