The Student Room Group

Mature Student Distance Learning GCSEs and A levels

During year 11 I was unwell so I missed most of the year and left with just 7 GCSEs, A* A A A B C C (for the Cs I was only allowed to sit the Foundation papers). Feeling pretty uninterested and demotivated upon leaving school I went on to the College my friends were going to, to do a Business BTEC - having not thought about my career. On applying to University I realised how much I'd limited my options and could only apply for Business/Finance/Marketing courses. I went to Durham to study Finance (extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs and I got D*D*D* in my BTEC) but I hated the course and dropped out during second term, without taking any exams. I'm 20 now and want to better my education so want to retake the Cs and B I got at GCSE in Maths, Religious Education and Science (but I want to take double Science giving me 9 GCSEs). As I'm classed as a mature student I'd like to take the courses at home instead of a College. The thing is I also want to take A levels so that I can get into University to study Archaeology. I obviously want to get on with things a bit now so don't want to spend too much time studying. Basically I'm wondering if it is possible to study GCSEs at the same time as A2 and AS or whether I'll need to spend a year taking the 3 GCSEs and then the A levels (all distance learning)
Apologies for the long post! Very grateful for any help
Original post by flyorchid
During year 11 I was unwell so I missed most of the year and left with just 7 GCSEs, A* A A A B C C (for the Cs I was only allowed to sit the Foundation papers). Feeling pretty uninterested and demotivated upon leaving school I went on to the College my friends were going to, to do a Business BTEC - having not thought about my career. On applying to University I realised how much I'd limited my options and could only apply for Business/Finance/Marketing courses. I went to Durham to study Finance (extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs and I got D*D*D* in my BTEC) but I hated the course and dropped out during second term, without taking any exams. I'm 20 now and want to better my education so want to retake the Cs and B I got at GCSE in Maths, Religious Education and Science (but I want to take double Science giving me 9 GCSEs). As I'm classed as a mature student I'd like to take the courses at home instead of a College. The thing is I also want to take A levels so that I can get into University to study Archaeology. I obviously want to get on with things a bit now so don't want to spend too much time studying. Basically I'm wondering if it is possible to study GCSEs at the same time as A2 and AS or whether I'll need to spend a year taking the 3 GCSEs and then the A levels (all distance learning)
Apologies for the long post! Very grateful for any help

The first thing to do is to check whether or not your existing qualifications are acceptable for entry to an archaeology degree. You may be surprised - as an example, it would appear that your qualifications would get you into Uni of York https://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/undergraduates/courses/bsc-archaeology/#course-applying (this was the only one I looked at, so it's just an example)

Failing that, your best option would be to do an Access to HE course. It's a one year course that's designed for mature students who are returning to education after a few years away. It's normally taught in a local college, but because you're with other older students, it's not like going back to sixth form. All unis accept them (even Oxbridge for some courses) so they can be a really good option https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx
Agree with the above post..

Under very similar circumstances i am re applying as a mature student and it seems that access to HE is the best option. Usually 2.5 days a week, therefore any additional relevant GCSE's to the uni course you wish to choose can be done alongside the access course.

I would say to contact the uni's you have in mind as to what their entry requirements are and contact colleges to see what they can offer you.

Good luck with your choice and if you want to speak further then dont hesitate to dm me. I understand your situation completely xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending