The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

What is the internet like in St. Andrews?

Hi,

I will be studying at St. Andrews from September this year, so before I go I was wondering if there were any internet issues? When I looked at a generic university guide of what to take, it said bring an Ethernet cable as university accommodation Internet can be poor at times. Is this true for St. Andrews, or should I not bother with a cable?
Reply 1
Original post by TimGB
Hi,

I will be studying at St. Andrews from September this year, so before I go I was wondering if there were any internet issues? When I looked at a generic university guide of what to take, it said bring an Ethernet cable as university accommodation Internet can be poor at times. Is this true for St. Andrews, or should I not bother with a cable?

Never had a problem with it.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I would bring an ethernet cable only because the connection to the wifi in some rooms especially in older halls of residence can be bad at times. It's not a problem with the internet connection itself just that the wireless routers can sometimes be placed too far away.
Original post by MickMike
Never had a problem with it.

Original post by limetang
I would bring an ethernet cable only because the connection to the wifi in some rooms especially in older halls of residence can be bad at times. It's not a problem with the internet connection itself just that the wireless routers can sometimes be placed too far away.

I've never had a problem with internet there as well. St Andrews has a great IT department and in general though to be safe bring one although I believe they were provided at my residence.
Reply 5
Hi, I know the rule says it is not allowed to use your own router.
BUT if I really use a router, will they know?
I mean how can they find out?

My router can clone my pc's mac address so it should have no problem connect to the network.
Then all my devices connecting to my router should appear as one, am I right?
Original post by yeo
Hi, I know the rule says it is not allowed to use your own router.
BUT if I really use a router, will they know?
I mean how can they find out?

My router can clone my pc's mac address so it should have no problem connect to the network.
Then all my devices connecting to my router should appear as one, am I right?

They do room inspections. But why would you even want a router in the first place? Why not just connect all your devices straight to the wifi?
Reply 7
Original post by Keyhofi
They do room inspections. But why would you even want a router in the first place? Why not just connect all your devices straight to the wifi?

For my NAS, chromecast and future second desktop/media-server.

Are you sure they only find out by doing room inspections?
Is that easy?
Can network admin find out remotely?
Original post by yeo

Is that easy?

Dunno maybe - although most electrical items will need to be tested at some point early in the semester. But why can't all these items be connected straight to wifi anyway? (I don't know how they work, sorry.) Also you should check you are allowed them by reading the terms and services of the resisdences or by emailing them.
Reply 9
Original post by yeo

Is that easy?

Yeah - IT Services will probably find it when they look at all the traffic going to your router. And remember - access to the network from the outside is fire-walled and from what I remember, a lot of ports are blocked by default. It is quite easy to remotely detect access points by just walking around the hall even if you do not transmit SSID using some basic equipment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending