The Student Room Group

Article: Meningitis: learn to spot the signs and symptoms

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Himeros
Hoping to get this soon and just have a few questions hopefully somebody wouldn't mind answering for me:

Firstly, what are the common side effects besides the aching arm? I've seen people say a range of things - is nausea very common? How about vomiting? I know these are both symptoms of the actual illness so thought I'd best ask. Also does this feel much different physically going in? I've seen people saying they actually felt the liquid going in etc? I've never experienced with with vaccinations before?

Secondly - Probably a real stupid question but is it okay to drink alcohol on the same day of getting this? As I'll likely be getting it right in the middle of freshers? Or is it advised you wait a few days (I know drinking can interact with certain medications so wasn't sure if the same rules apply with vaccinations).

Lastly, I feel as though this has been raised a few times, but why is it advised that only freshers get it? And not second or third years? Like isn't your immune system still going to be un-protected against this illness without being vaccinated? I understand it's cause those living in halls etc are most at risk, but surely if you're going out to classes/clubs/bars/any social settings where first years ARE located, surely you're just at risk?

Thank you everyone :smile:

I've attached a picture of the leaflet they gave me with the side effects. I didn't get any of them myself. I didn't even notice the needle going in (I looked away).

Anecdotally, I drank alcohol the day after my vaccine and had no noticeable side effects, but I'm sure it's best to play safe and not drink for a few days or only drink a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Himeros
Hoping to get this soon and just have a few questions hopefully somebody wouldn't mind answering for me:

Firstly, what are the common side effects besides the aching arm? I've seen people say a range of things - is nausea very common? How about vomiting? I know these are both symptoms of the actual illness so thought I'd best ask. Also does this feel much different physically going in? I've seen people saying they actually felt the liquid going in etc? I've never experienced with with vaccinations before?

Secondly - Probably a real stupid question but is it okay to drink alcohol on the same day of getting this? As I'll likely be getting it right in the middle of freshers? Or is it advised you wait a few days (I know drinking can interact with certain medications so wasn't sure if the same rules apply with vaccinations).

Lastly, I feel as though this has been raised a few times, but why is it advised that only freshers get it? And not second or third years? Like isn't your immune system still going to be un-protected against this illness without being vaccinated? I understand it's cause those living in halls etc are most at risk, but surely if you're going out to classes/clubs/bars/any social settings where first years ARE located, surely you're just at risk?

Thank you everyone :smile:

Here's the full information leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.26513.latest.pdf

It should be fine to drink alcohol, although it doesn't hurt to be safe and avoid it for one day :wink:

There's a few reported side effects, but take these on the chin as they are rare and for all we know could be due to the placebo effect, haha. Prepare for an achy arm in most cases, but you may be lucky and forgo it.

The most risk is in halls because of the fact that you're actually living with a large group of people basically 24/7. Also, it's worth pointing out that the virus/bacteria can live in facial orifices without you contracting the illness, allowing you to pass it on. As freshers will be everywhere, they'd be considered a "disease vector" and by vaccinating them, you're actually providing an effective immunisation against the entire campus without having to vaccinate absolutely everyone. Jabs are expensive, yo.

P.S. Not researched, no sources cited, I AM NOT A DOCTOR :tongue:
I have only graduated and I'm not eligible for the jab. :frown:

Is there any chance for me to get it on the NHS?
Original post by SecretDuck
I have only graduated and I'm not eligible for the jab. :frown:

Is there any chance for me to get it on the NHS?

Phone your GP's surgery and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending