The Student Room Group

Applying for different subjects

Hi there, I've come across a problem recently for writing my personal statement for Uni. As UCAS has you write a personal statement sent to all courses I'll apply to, I might have some issues with how my statements may not work for specific uni's. I am undecided yet on whether to apply for Film or Law, which is a widely different set of subjects I know, but I'd like to start working on my statement now and don't know how to write a statement that could apply well for both? Any suggestions?
it would be pretty impossible to write one that applies to both. write one for each and then when you decide which to apply for edit and improve that one.
Original post by slooser
Hi there, I've come across a problem recently for writing my personal statement for Uni. As UCAS has you write a personal statement sent to all courses I'll apply to, I might have some issues with how my statements may not work for specific uni's. I am undecided yet on whether to apply for Film or Law, which is a widely different set of subjects I know, but I'd like to start working on my statement now and don't know how to write a statement that could apply well for both? Any suggestions?
Original post by slooser

Don't do it.
Reply 3
Original post by slooser

Hi!

From my understanding, I reckon it's better to apply to universities using two different UCAS accounts, as you've got two choices. Otherwise, it's normal to encounter difficulties with writing your personal statement because everything will be messed up if you consider writing information in the same article. I did it once, and one of the universities automatically disqualified me as it was a combination of two different sectors. You won't even need to write two different SOPs. It's just that you would need to make some modifications and send them.
Reply 4
Original post by Meheraj
From my understanding, I reckon it's better to apply to universities using two different UCAS accounts, as you've got two choices.

This is fraud.

You are only allowed *one* UCAS account - and UCAS are not that stupid not to spot this,
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
This is fraud.

You are only allowed *one* UCAS account - and UCAS are not that stupid not to spot this,

Well, the other account was opened by my agent and he used it to apply for different courses as there was a huge chance of rejection for healthcare-related courses for international students.
Reply 6
Original post by slooser
I am undecided yet on whether to apply for Film or Law

Go to some Uni Open Days, sign up for the subject presentations for both subjects - and work out which subject you do actually want to apply for. Then write a PS for only that subject.

OR, listen to some of these Law in Action podcasts - interesting, or mind numbingly dull? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tgy1/episodes/player

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending