The Student Room Group

English Lang

Hi, some I am really not sure how to write really good responses for all the english language papers for GCSE English, as I would really like to get a 9, since I really love the subject - so I guess my question is can you give me any tips on how to get a high grade ? Eg especially with timing and spotting things in the texts eg should I read over lots of exam questions, articles in general, learn lots of subject specific vocab ? Thanks so much
Original post by libbbyy
Hi, some I am really not sure how to write really good responses for all the english language papers for GCSE English, as I would really like to get a 9, since I really love the subject - so I guess my question is can you give me any tips on how to get a high grade ? Eg especially with timing and spotting things in the texts eg should I read over lots of exam questions, articles in general, learn lots of subject specific vocab ? Thanks so much

Hey, I've done my GCSEs a few years ago so I might be able to help.

For paper 1, question 5, I looked through all the past papers of all the possible story questions. From this, I wrote 3 different stories with different themes and got it marked to a grade 9 by different teachers so by the time my real exams rolled up, I memorised the stories and copied it down onto my paper. Not only did this save my so much time, I only needed to make minor adjustments in order for my story to meet the questions and mark scheme criteria.

Don't spend too long on question 1!! I made that mistake in my exam and got super tripped up!

A structure I followed was PEWHALE. Point Evidence Why has the writer done this? How does this make the reader feel? Analysis Link Evidence. Obviously put Evidence before Analysis and Link.

For paper 1, question 3, strictly focus on structural devices. DO NOT focus on language techniques. You can follow the same structure I've mentioned in the previous point, but just alter it slightly so it fits question 3.

Make sure you have strict timing with each question. I'm going to be honest, I don't actually remember what timings i used, but I'm sure you can find information in regard to timings online.

Read the question then the passage for both questions- take note of any techniques you see.

Just remember a bunch of structural and language techniques so you can spot them easily in the texts.

For paper 2, I sort of did the same. I don't remember much of paper 2 since i hated it, haha.

It's great that you're doing all of these extra things! I wish you the best of luck in your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest