The Student Room Group

Biology help needed

Hi, I've really been struggling with this homework question and I wondered if somebody could help me out. The question says:

'Anya is investigating the effect of bile salts on the digestion of fats by lipase. She sets up tubes containing the same amount of fat and pH indicator. She changes the amounts of lipase and bile salts. She then adds distilled water to make the volume the same in each tube. The pH indicator changes colour when the pH of the solution goes from pH8 to pH6. Anya times how long it takes for the indicator to change colour in each tube after all the solutions have been added.'

What I don't understand is why would the pH be lowered? Bile salts are slightly alkaline and lipase works best at around pH8... So why is the pH lowered when the breakdown of the lipids is finished? Am I missing something here?

Please help, I'm reaching the desperate stage!

Beth-Annie :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Beth-Annie
Hi, I've really been struggling with this homework question and I wondered if somebody could help me out. The question says:

'Anya is investigating the effect of bile salts on the digestion of fats by lipase. She sets up tubes containing the same amount of fat and pH indicator. She changes the amounts of lipase and bile salts. She then adds distilled water to make the volume the same in each tube. The pH indicator changes colour when the pH of the solution goes from pH8 to pH6. Anya times how long it takes for the indicator to change colour in each tube after all the solutions have been added.'

What I don't understand is why would the pH be lowered? Bile salts are slightly alkaline and lipase works best at around pH8... So why is the pH lowered when the breakdown of the lipids is finished? Am I missing something here?

Please help, I'm reaching the desperate stage!

Beth-Annie :smile:

Doesn't the lipids turn into fatty acids and glycerol?
Maybe the acids lower the pH

I'm not sure mind just making a suggestion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by hol918
Doesn't the lipids turn into fatty acids and glycerol?
Maybe the acids lower the pH

I'm not sure mind just making a suggestion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I hadn't thought of it like that:redface:
Reply 3
Yeah as above, lipids are made up of fatty acids and glycerol , the fatty "acid" released, lowers the pH.
Reply 4
Original post by rasil23
Yeah as above, lipids are made up of fatty acids and glycerol , the fatty "acid" released, lowers the pH.

Thank you so much! It makes total sense now:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending