I have just finsihed my as year and havent doen really well in mocks
I was wondering if anyone could help me in better revision stratagies
The subjects I do are Biology chemistry and History
Original post by 670351
Hi

I’ve just finished A levels and I did biology and chemistry (can’t help with history though sorry). What helped me was using flashcards to learn content and then testing myself and improving exam technique using past paper questions on the physics and maths tutor website
Reply 2
Original post by Teribblestudent
I’ve just finished A levels and I did biology and chemistry (can’t help with history though sorry). What helped me was using flashcards to learn content and then testing myself and improving exam technique using past paper questwoukd ions on the physics and maths tutor website

Would you say it's worth it doing 6 hours a day finishing content in summer then improving exam technique in the year? Obv making v good notes when doing the content so you remeber
I found Seneca Learning useful for memorising content and then doing past papers to improve my exam technique.
Original post by 670351
Hi

My revision strategies for chemistry, physics and maths can be found here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

I imagine elements of the strategies I used could be of some use to biology and history.
Original post by Teribblestudent
I’ve just finished A levels and I did biology and chemistry (can’t help with history though sorry). What helped me was using flashcards to learn content and then testing myself and improving exam technique using past paper questions on the physics and maths tutor website

im self teaching. what textbook would you recommend and also is having no knowledge of gcse biology unhelpful?
im going to study igsce biology alongside AQA a level bio and i already take psychology, sociology and rs… i need bio for a certain course :frown:
Reply 6
guys just sat alevl biochem and maths and was predicted an a* in all and found the exams quite a walk in the park so if you want ill give you 2 tips . 1. Hard work pays off , ill be 100% real with you if you don't put the time in you deserve doing as bad as you are , trust me everyone single micro problem you have right now (e.g can't work out how to draw the right hess cycle ) will be solved by time , just endless hours put in . Nothing in level is hard it just needs hours on work put into it 2.Use exam papers , ur final exams determine 100% of your grade , not how well you know the biology textbook . Take Skelton notes of the biology content , waste as little time as possible on notes , always make your notes before you go through the topic in school so the lesson is just revision , start exam papers at easter time minimum or say goodbye to anyway A / A* dreams . I personally finished all 3 major exam boards papers for every subject and know many like me who did the same , these exams are slightly luck / probability based but every exam paper you do that probability of them catching you on a little quirk they have up their sleeve goes down by a tiny % until finally its impossible for you not to get A* in papers . I hope this didn't sound arrogant and let if be happy to help with any other more specific problems .
Reply 7
Original post by rachelb561
guys just sat alevl biochem and maths and was predicted an a* in all and found the exams quite a walk in the park so if you want ill give you 2 tips . 1. Hard work pays off , ill be 100% real with you if you don't put the time in you deserve doing as bad as you are , trust me everyone single micro problem you have right now (e.g can't work out how to draw the right hess cycle ) will be solved by time , just endless hours put in . Nothing in level is hard it just needs hours on work put into it 2.Use exam papers , ur final exams determine 100% of your grade , not how well you know the biology textbook . Take Skelton notes of the biology content , waste as little time as possible on notes , always make your notes before you go through the topic in school so the lesson is just revision , start exam papers at easter time minimum or say goodbye to anyway A / A* dreams . I personally finished all 3 major exam boards papers for every subject and know many like me who did the same , these exams are slightly luck / probability based but every exam paper you do that probability of them catching you on a little quirk they have up their sleeve goes down by a tiny % until finally its impossible for you not to get A* in papers . I hope this didn't sound arrogant and let if be happy to help with any other more specific problems .

How many hours of revision did you do a day?
Reply 8
Original post by Flk10
How many hours of revision did you do a day?

on sober days 6 hours , on non sober days (Friday to Sunday ) 2-3.
Reply 9
For chemsitry watch allery chemistry or elliot rintoul on youtube (i preferred allery chemistry) and then just smash out as many past paper questions as possible.
For organic chemistry make sure you know the organic synthesis map inside out aswell as all the mechanisms and everything else will fall into place. There's a nice summary on chemrevise for this

You really don't need to make notes in chemistry you may need to make flashcards on basic recall stuff but other than that the questions in chemistry are very repetitive so just crack on with questions and your grade will improve.

Quick Reply

Latest