The Student Room Group

Help! Science Careers/Degrees

Hi I’m currently doing my a-levels and am having to choose my uni course and stuff soon.
I’m really interested in biology (but not plant/animal stuff, more humans or microbiological like genes) and chemistry. Obviously medicine is an option to go down, but I’d like to know other biology/chemistry career options that pay well in the UK and what degrees would help to achieve them. I’m also doing a language a-level if that helps. I’m just really stressing because I don’t wanna be another broke biology graduate. Sorry if this format isn’t right or I’ve put this in the wrong forum-I’m new.
Please help!
(In short what are bio/chem careers and degrees that will make good money?)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by LittleFire10
Hi I’m currently doing my a-levels and am having to choose my uni course and stuff soon.
I’m really interested in biology (but not plant/animal stuff, more humans or microbiological like genes) and chemistry. Obviously medicine is an option to go down, but I’d like to know other biology/chemistry career options that pay well in the UK and what degrees would help to achieve them. I’m also doing a language a-level if that helps. I’m just really stressing because I don’t wanna be another broke biology graduate. Sorry if this format isn’t right or I’ve put this in the wrong forum-I’m new.
Please help!
(In short what are bio/chem careers and degrees that will make good money?)

If you choose medicine, you need work experience and sit the UCAT or BMAT. If you cant do this by the UCAS deadline , and you want to do medicine, apply for 2025 admission.
Any biology or chemistry degree that is accredited, for example by ‘the royal society of biology’, means it is an assurance to you, the knowledge you have learnt is valued (by employers).
it is not about the money, but doing a job that you will enjoy.

The reason why you go to university is because you want to learn more about a subject. Many people go into uni without a career in mind, that is fine.
After university, after that experience, people have a clearer insight in what they want to do.
Pursue a postgraduate, a PhD, do a graduate course (such as medicine or law), get a job.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
If you choose medicine, you need work experience and sit the UCAT or BMAT. If you cant do this by the UCAS deadline , and you want to do medicine, apply for 2025 admission.
Any biology or chemistry degree that is accredited, for example by ‘the royal society of biology’, means it is an assurance to you, the knowledge you have learnt is valued (by employers).
it is not about the money, but doing a job that you will enjoy.

The reason why you go to university is because you want to learn more about a subject. Many people go into uni without a career in mind, that is fine.
After university, after that experience, people have a clearer insight in what they want to do.
Pursue a postgraduate, a PhD, do a graduate course (such as medicine or law), get a job.

I understand that but I am in a position that I need to be making enough money to support both me and my family so money does mean something. And there are like 20 different degrees that I am interested in so I’m really looking to narrow it down based on job prospects. But thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending