The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed with Chemistry!!!!

I am having some major problems with my Chemistry work.

There is one question in particular that I am having trouble with.

It is:

Write an equation for the two possible ways the alkane C16H34 can thermally crack and produce the products ethene and propene in the ratio 2:1 and only one other compound.

I really have no clue what to do here!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Amrou
Reply 1
amrou
I am having some major problems with my Chemistry work.

There is one question in particular that I am having trouble with.

It is:

Write an equation for the two possible ways the alkane C16H34 can thermally crack and produce the products ethene and propene in the ratio 2:1 and only one other compound.

I really have no clue what to do here!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Amrou

C16H34 > 2C4H8 + C8H18
C16H34 > 2C3H6 + C10H22

Is this what you mean?? i think my answer is wrong cus im not sure what the question means
I don't think that is right because there has to be propene and ethene, and I think that thermal cracking has to include free radicals. I am really confused with this question! Thank you though!

Amrou
Reply 3
amrou
I don't think that is right because there has to be propene and ethene, and I think that thermal cracking has to include free radicals. I am really confused with this question! Thank you though!

Amrou

thermal cracking doesnt have to include free radicals, free radicals areproduced when a molecule splits homolytically to produce atoms/molecules with an unpaired electron.

thermal cracking usually produces an alkene and an alkane so thats why i thought maybe thats what your question was looking for and cus it said two ways i assumed one way was to produce ethene and another propene, but like i said i don;t really get the question, that answer was the best i can do
amrou

When a molecule is cracked it just breaks apart and the total number of atoms stays the same (duh!)

OK so if the ratio of ethene to propane is 2:1 then there are 2 molecules of ethene and 1 of propene

2C2H4 + C3H6 add these together gives C7H14 therefore there are C9H20 atoms left.

This is one of the solutions

If on the other hand there were 4 molecuoles oof ethene and 2 molecules of propene produced...

4C2H4 + 2C3H6 = C14H28 so there is C2H6 remaining

This is the other solution
Reply 5
ahh i didnt realise ethene and propene are in the same equation, i thought it meant that the molecule was cracked into ethene and one other product in the ratio of 2:1 and its cracked into propene and another product in the ratio of 2:1. is this AS chem? what exam board are you on?

Latest