The Student Room Group

Further Maths A-level *urgent

Hello, I am currently applying for sixth forms so I need to submit my subject choices for A-levels, one of the skls has a deadline very soon so I need urgent advice.
I definetly want to do Maths, Physics and/ or Chem but the skl needs me to do four A-levels and I think the most valuable would be Further Maths but I'm worried it will be too much so can someone please give me some advice? Is is that hard and is it possible to manage with these other subjects? Other options I could have instead of FM is economics/spanish/rs (depending on what the diff skls offer) but I don't rlly think these will be as useful.

For context I think I may want to do something like economics at university but above all want to keep my options open. Also I am in top set for maths and get 9s on the tests but I am aware that Obviously GCSE is a lot easier than further studies.
Original post by BibliophileLibra
Hello, I am currently applying for sixth forms so I need to submit my subject choices for A-levels, one of the skls has a deadline very soon so I need urgent advice.
I definetly want to do Maths, Physics and/ or Chem but the skl needs me to do four A-levels and I think the most valuable would be Further Maths but I'm worried it will be too much so can someone please give me some advice? Is is that hard and is it possible to manage with these other subjects? Other options I could have instead of FM is economics/spanish/rs (depending on what the diff skls offer) but I don't rlly think these will be as useful.

For context I think I may want to do something like economics at university but above all want to keep my options open. Also I am in top set for maths and get 9s on the tests but I am aware that Obviously GCSE is a lot easier than further studies.

I would not take A-Level Chemistry, as it is the most work, and the same goes for A-Level Biology. However, remember A-Level Physics has 25% Mechanics topics. So if you do A-Level Maths, A-Level Physics, A-Level Further Maths, it will be like doing 1.5 A-Levels, since topics overlap and there's no tedious long essays in them. Also, A-Level Economics essays are not difficult, nor is it that quantitative like it is at degree level.

If you do A-Level Further Maths, you will do Further Mechanics, Further Decision, Further Statistics or Further Pure. It would be beneficial to do Mechanics in A-Level Further Maths, as it will help you with A-Level Physics immensely so.

If you want to apply to Cambridge and LSE for Economics, then you will need to take A-Level Maths, A-Level Further Maths, A-Level Economics and A-Level Physics too.

Good luck.
Reply 2

If you want to go economics maths and further maths are desired by Oxbridge and probably would help your chances in other unis. You don’t necessarily need economics in itself. FM and Maths ties into things you learn in physics. Chemistry is definitely the hardest of them all but doable. I’ve got four friends who take the combination and seem to be doing well, but bear in mind chem is tricky. If you’re unsure of it you c an take it as an AS then drop after first year
Reply 3

Also with Chem/Maths/FM/Physics you open up so many careers in science, engineering, maths and computing. So if those are likely your interests then it’s a good combo. None of them have long essays and are all maths based with theory in chem and phys. If you really want a different one like rs which is more essay based you can and it’ll balance out the maths a bit. Ultimately the fourth is what you’ll enjoy/be most beneficial

Maths, physics, chemistry, and further maths is an extremely common combination. If thousands of students can manage it every year it's evidently not overly challenging. Frankly I think doing an unrelated fourth subject with no synergy with your other subjects would be harder (especially for a language where you will have very high amounts of ongoing work to learn vocab and grammar as you go).

I don't really have much a subject-specific advice to offer you, because I'm more of a humanities person myself. However, I will say that chemistry is really hard. It is well known that there is a lot of content, and a heavy workload. It is your decision, of course, so weigh up your options.

Quick Reply

Latest