The Student Room Group

STEP Maths I, II, III 1997 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

i guess it's rather intimidating at first when people discover they have to find the length of arc of a cycloid. And also maybe if they attempt some geometry way instead of the mechanics way it's gonna be tougher

Original post by DFranklin
1997 III, Q5 (finally):

Wlog, the wheel has radius 1. Let the angle turned through be t. If the wheel wasn't rolling, the position of a point on the rim is (-sin t, 1-cos t). As the wheel is rolling, we have to add t to the x coord to get (t-sin t, 1 - cos t).

Distance travelled by point on rim =

02π(dxdt)2+(dydt)2dt=02π(1cost)2+sin2tdt\int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2} dt = \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{(1-\cos t)^2+\sin^2 t} dt

=02π22costdt=202π12(1cost)dt= \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{2 - 2 \cos t} dt = 2 \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(1-\cos t)} dt

=202πsin2t2dt=202πsint2dt= 2 \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2}}\, dt = 2 \int_0^{2\pi} |\sin \frac{t}{2}| dt

(note that we must take the positive root).

This = 202πsint2dt=4[cost2]02π=8.2\int_0^{2\pi} \sin \frac{t}{2} dt = -4[ \cos \frac{t}{2}]_0^{2\pi} = 8.

(N.B. Corrections due to ukgea's post below...)

Distance traveled by center = 2 pi. So ratio is π/4\pi / 4.

[OK, what have I missed? Far, far too easy for STEP III]
(edited 6 years ago)
no i think he's right lol

Original post by ukgea
Shouldn't it be

=02π2sin2t2dt=\displaystyle = \int_0^{2\pi} 2\sqrt{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2}}dt = \cdots

which gives the final answer π/16\pi/16 instead? Other than that, it looks correct. I guess the hard part is realising that the wheel is moving with a speed ωr\omega r or something like that. And the fact that the integral will look more intimidating if you don't assume ω=r=1\omega = r = 1 as you have done. But yes, it seems rather easy.

Edit: Oh now I realise t doesn't mean time, but angle. My integrals have t = time and consequently a lot of ω\omegas floating around. Nifty. Never mind the part about ω\omega then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending